“Website was misleading”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in West Columbia
Richmond, Virginia
“Website was misleading”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

On the website the room was presented as a two bedroom, two bathroom suite. Actually it was a living room and a bedroom and 1 1/2 baths. The front desk personnel told us they had told corporate to change the description of the room several times.

We probably would not have selected the room had we know we would not get what was advertised.

Room Tip: Do not pay attention to the description on the website.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

The Clarion Inn was a step up from a class of motels below it, but is far from the level of hotels above it! It does appear to be in a less than great part of town, but not terrible. It has a friendly staff and clean rooms, but yet is no question a cheaper motel. There were lots of dogs about, but they didn't keep us up. I called ahead for adjoining rooms, but then they couldn't give me one so my husband and I had to take different rooms and split up the kids. The breakfast was OK. Next time I will spend more money to stay at a nicer place, but if this is what you can spend, you should be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Wraglets
Shallotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

The entrance to the hotel is a bit hard to find and appears to not be in a great part of town, so I was worried when we first arrived. However, the rooms were clean, the free continental breakfast was pretty average (though the 'upgraded' hot breakfast wasn't worth the price - $5.99 for scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and soggy french toast), and it overall was worth the price. It's a Clarion Inn, not a 5-star hotel, so I wasn't expecting 5-star accommodations or service.

Pluses: The beds were great. Wanted to take the pillows & mattresses home with me. A security guard was on duty and patrolling the hotel all night - which didn't seem to be needed, but was reassuring.

Minuses: The small 'gym' (A couple of treadmills, a stair-stepper, and a universal weight machine) was only open from 5am to 10pm. (Why not 24 hrs?) All of the ice machines were out of order while we were there, but the front office would get ice for you without a problem.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
phoenixville, pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I must say fellow trip advisors usually get it spot on. But in this case, I really felt like I was in the twilight zone. Upon our arrival, this outdoor-entrance motel had a decidedly creepy feel. I tried to reserve judgment and when the young woman at the front desk was so friendly, I started to become almost optimistic. Until my husband and I entered our room (#139 in the back).

I went to use the restroom first after a fairly long drive. Aside from the fact that it was the size of a small closet, I couldn't help but notice the occassionally blackened and missing tile and tub grout. Worst of all, there were pubic hairs on the floor! I kept my eyes closed to avoid seeing something else I really didn't want to see! then I went to wash my hands and there was no hand soap. I called the front desk and she told me I could come get it, which I did.
We then tried to print boarding passes in the "business center", but unfortunately one of the PC's was not working properly and the other was in use. We finally had to use the computer at the front desk. Again, the woman at the desk was very nice about it, but it was difficult and cumbersome to say the least.
We grabbed a bit out in town and came back to the room when I looked at the wall and saw a rodent-sized bug. (A palmetto, I believe.) After some cursing, I left the room so my husband could dispose of it without me. He assured he flushed 4 times to make sure it really went down! We had to leave very early the next morning (thank goodness) and I awoke to an even larger palmetto on the floor by the bathroom. After screaming out loud, I brushed my teeth, washed my faced and dressed in record time, announcing I would wait in our rental car. Arriving at the Columbia airport, I told my husband, "Gee, this is so clean and inviting we should have skipped the hotel and just stayed here last night. It would have been a better experience!"
Finally, the lobby felt like stepping into a time warp (brown, dated, low lighting and virtually empy "restaurant/bar" area).
I'm sorry fellow trip advisors, but I just can't see how this place had so many positive reviews.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jdv913

Travellers are raving about these West Columbia hotels

Hartselle, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I was warmly greeted when I checked on two separate times by Olivia. She had a nice smile and check-in was expediant. Upon checking out, I found Sarah and Ms Suzanne singing and happy as if they really enjoyed their job. I was sent off with a smile and would deffinately make this my choice to stay when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Be kind to Olivia and she try her best!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Charleston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

I like this hotel. Not a pretentious hotel, but flying in and out of Columbia, I have used this particular hotel for years with no problem, and the staff is extraordinarily helpful and courteous.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank GM7535
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

Had a wonderful and professional experience with renting both sleeping room amd business center, very helpful and professional especially Sarah and Danille at the front desk areas.

Room Tip: Ask for the best room, if they can they will.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Sleep Inn Airport
Sleep Inn Airport
#3 of 10 in West Columbia
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest

Been to Clarion Inn Columbia-Airport? Share your experiences!