“Great coffee shop”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
“Great coffee shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

A little bit of 'progressive' feel in a very conservative town. The bistro is a great place to meet and have coffee and some light meal. Their pizzas are pretty good.

Visited August 2012

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Feels like a coffe shop in the Big City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

They serve excellent coffee, strong, not the watered down kind. They had more than enough restaurants to choose from. I loved the Barbecue Restaurant down the street, best potato salad that I did not have to make. I love this town and the Days Inn.

Visited August 2012
Atlanta, GA
“Good breakfast/sandwich cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We ate lunch and the sandwiches were very good. The service/kitchen got backed up, so it took a while. It was a little on the pricey side. It reminded me of a non-chain version of a coffee house that you could hang out for a while.

• Visited June 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Simple and unadorned, they concentrate on the food and service.

Visited October 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Like most of my musings, my wife and son were in Brookings for a soccer tournament. Between the first and second games, we really needed to get a bite to eat, but goodness...think of a TON of youngsters and their families disbursing to eat about the same time in a city of 20,000 ("biggish" by South Dakota standards). Pizza Ranch, McDonalds, Arby's...they'd be loaded. We stopped at a Mexican grill "Qudoba" I think it was on 6th...but the line inside was already doubled back on itself. Just down the line in this mini-mall was a Quiznos, which I'll admit, I've never tried. Well, it turned out to be empty, (as in no tables, chairs or counters...) so it was either in its way in ... or out; we couldn't tell. I popped into "Choco Latte'" next door...sandwiches? Nope...now...the bakery next door to that...sandwiches? Nope, but..."there's a place down the road at 17th and 6th called "Cottenwood Bistro". Actually, it is at the far end of an outdoor mall, pretty much behind a car wash as I recall. You really DID need to be looking for it! This is a University town, (thus the "Choco-Latte'" coffee-shop) and an unknown number of like establishments. The "Bistro" is a collection of modestly sized matte-black tables and chairs with the obligatory free wi-fi. The menu was contained on three large tapastries on the wall behind the counter/pastrie display case. The selection included vegitarian and vegan-friendly fare! (My wife was thrilled). She had the crab pattie burger, (there's a special word for that type of "vegitarian" but it escapes me now. I had the "grass fed beef burger" and my son had a chicken wrap. A selection of other sandwiches, wraps and pinini's were also available. For any other South Dakota town, 7-10 dollars each for this, (with chips or roasted potatos [no fries...not good for you I suppose]) might seem high...but most decent sized places you wouldn't think twice...and given the fact these were DELISCIOUS...well, it brings the value for money up to par! I had bold coffee, (ground and roasted on premisis)...TERRIFFIC as well. The service? These must also have been hand-selected university students. Very nice, engaging and well spoken. I have to say, that desipite $43 for lunch, (included coffee, tea, coke and a smoothie and one chocolate colache (60% coacoa I can tell you)...we were back the next day WITH my sister too! Black bean burger, beef burger (the kid musta' been envious of my burge the day before), beef panini and "gourmet cheese panini", coffees and another mango smoothie. So, there you have it. I would review Zesto's (3 avalanch ice-creams thingies) but figure you probably already know how good those are! :)

• Visited July 2012