“Very clean and great breakfast, kind of wimpy pool”

Holiday Inn Express Brookings
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Brookings
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The room was clean and nice. The breakfast was delicious and the waitress was very nice. The pool was kind of wimpy though, the deepest it got was 3'6" and the slide was turned off during the week. So basically, there was 2 kid pools and no adult pool. If the adults aren't looking to swim, then this is a great place for little ones. Also, we saw a few hairballs in the pool which was kind of gross :-?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for the comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Express Hotel & Suites in Brookings, South Dakota. We take pride in providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests with friendly service from our staff.

I am so happy you enjoyed the breakfast. We feel a hot breakfast is a good way to start the day out.

Regarding the pool, the deepest for the adult pool is just under 5 feet and that a Holiday Inn Express brand standard. That is the maximum depth. For all viewers reviewing this posting. Our hotel has an adult pool, kiddie pool and a waterslide.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Brookings

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I called the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Brookings SD on 01/26/2014 to see if I was able to book a room at employee rate since my family and I were unable to return home because of bad weather. The employee who answered the phone was extremely rude and made a point to tell me that she had to get off the phone because she had 15 people standing in her lobby. Because I work at another IHG property and I am IHG rewards member, I was extremely disappointed by the customer service that I received on the phone and decided to stay at a competitors hotel instead. When I am back in there area, I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear CheerMom122901,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have stayed in many holiday inns over the years and generally find them to be decent, but were pleasantly surprised by the superior quality of the one in brookings.
Location: brookings isn't a big town to begin with but its right near the central area and walkable to a applebees which is convenient.
Free breakfast and wifi are very nice. Lots of channels, including HGTV.
The room is very warm and friendly and our kind bed was huge and comfortable!!
The front desk personnel were very friendly.
The heat came on quickly and warmed the room fast which was nice as it was -15 below during our visit.
Parking is right by the door.
Bathroom and the rest of the hotel room was very clean and neat appearing.

Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Pet friendly. This hotel is quite close to the interstate, but is quite quiet. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast is very well done.

They do have an indoor pool with a water slide which may interest kids, but we didn't have a chance to use it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The room was very quiet although the hotel was full. The breakfast was substantial.
The location was excellent for us as it is located directly across the highway from the Swiftel Center and an event there was the reason for our trip.
There is a waterslide in the pool with a height requirement of 48" tall which is enforced by a lifeguard. Our grandson was about 1/2 " too short which was disappointing for us, but I was impressed that they employ lifeguards for their guests' safety.

I would stay here, again, when in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Clean hotel rooms and bathroom; quiet even though our room was right next to yhe pool; friendly staff; best breakfast with pancakes, biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs. We will return and will book with a Holiday Inn Express in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
Erin C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding our team and our Express Start Breakfast. We are so happy that we made you feel welcome. It is always appreciated when guests tell us the good we accomplished. I will definitely pass your words onto the team. I hope you will be able to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My daughter and I stayed here, while we attended her orientation at SDSU. It was a very clean and comfortable place to stay. Just a couple things that I would like to see changed. The beds were not very comfortable. They had some kind of plastic mattress pads on, that kind of reminded me of a childs waterproof mattress pad. It made the bed, kind of "crunchy". So after two nights of sleeping on it, I left with a sore back. Also, the heater/ac made really loud noises. I did not get much sleep. Every time it kicked on, it started up again and I woke up. Seemed better if I just left the "continues fan" on. I would just not expect this from a Holiday Inn Express. Otherwise, I found this hotel very nice, although we did not get a chance to use the pool or hot tub, so I cant comment on that. The breakfast was good, and the food choices were good. I know we will be staying in Brookings many more times, as my daughter attends college there, I would surely stay there again, if these two items were addressed. Spending over $100 dollars a night, I would expect not to see these problems. Also we did not have a fridge in the room. I find that to be important feature when staying in a hotel, since we eat out every meal and always have leftovers to warm up or keep other beverages and food cold. But as I said before, this is a very clean hotel and staff was very, very friendly during our stay. They were very quick to make sure everyone was safe and told what to do when a very severe storm made it way through Brookings during our stay. Thank You!!

Room Tip: Make sure heater/ac unit in your room is not making loud clanking noises
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Erin C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

888Kelly888,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the noise of the AC in your room and the mattress pad on the beds. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Erin C