“Great Find”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Canistota
Morro Bay, California
“Great Find”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Nice little motel along our route. Had room 11A and it was very comfortable. Enjoyed listening to the rain of a thunderstorm through the early morning hours. (We are in a severe drought in California.)
Nice hot breakfast in the morning. The owner gladly made us pancakes even though we got there after the end of the serving time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked hotel while traveling and due to situations beyond control, could not make it. Clerk said he didn't care and would run my card anyway even though I didn't permission. Do not know the value or cleanliness of the hotel since I didn't stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very nice quiet hotel. Great location, away from the noise of the city and Interstates. Breakfast had some to be desired, but other than that we were very satisfied. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were large and very clean, had all the extras. Being able to park outside your hotel room is a big plus! Parking lot was well lit also!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Vincent R
Overkand Park, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a great hotel and town to spend the night. Very friendly staff and very clean rooms There are a couple of nice diner-type restaurants in town with great food. We will definitely stay here in the future when we pass through the area. They are also very motorcycle-friendly and this is a great place to stop on the way to Sturgis!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was looking for a location roughly equal distance to four towns I intended to visit, and heard about the Best Western U-Bar Motel in Canistota, SD, 32 mi west of Sioux Falls.

I was surprised there was a motel this far off I-90, especially being affiliated with a national name like Best Western. (Not really far off I-90, just seemed like it, as it was late and very dark. About 4 mi south and 3 east)Turns out, local ownership and operational soundness trump even national branding!

I am told there is a well known chiropractic clinic in town, whose unique approach calls for gentler soft-tissue manipulation, rather than traditional spinal adjustments, and requires a five day stay. Consequently, Canistota has more lodging that would typically be found in a community of this size.

The positive reviews on Expedia caught my attention. There were many references to a home-cooked aspect of the breakfast, and not just sweet rolls and orange juice, as is typically found. Items such as eggs, or pancakes, or biscuits & gravy. And references to the proprietors, a man and wife team, being very congenial. I found this to be more than true.

I rolled in about 90 minutes later than my 10 pm goal, and Jim could not have been more pleasant and accommodating. He had me fully identify myself and provide address, as well he should! (Expedia tends to leave all that blank, but state law requires such.) I was happy to comply.

Canistota SD is in the SE quadrant of I-90 and Hwy 81, just far enough off I-90, that the sky is dark and full of stars, and the town is quiet, free of all highway noise. Watch your speed! 25 MPH tops, as typical in small towns. The motel is the typical right-angles design, of days gone by, with external entries, and parking at the door. Not fancy externally, but parking lot is well lit. A little tricky to find, after dark, but good signage guides you thru the town, if you don't have GPS.

Inside the room I found, in brand-new or mint condition: Modern key-card door locks, wardrobe for hanging garments, iron and ironing board, 30X36 table/desk with office chair, Wi-Fi, newer pattern marble bath countertop, as you would find in any new lodging, good air conditioner with remote, (high-mounted in wall, not under window) flat panel TV, queen bed, easy chair, bathroom whose ceramic floor tile was clearly redone in recent times, even the grout was clean.

Tub enclosure was spotless, and had the curved bar, to give more elbow room in the shower. The knobs for the shower were glistening with cleanliness. Someone had shined these with care and pride of ownership. Coffee maker and hair dryer. Baseboard heat, for the cold season. No fridge in this room, but rooms will full kitchenettes are available.

The A/C is working perfectly, as is the Wi-Fi. Faster Wi-Fi than the past 3 places I've lodged. Using it right now.

The couple who owns the property could not be more hands-on. They are not absentee owners, but day to day managers, and it shows. I think the few negative reviews on TripAdvisor may be reflective of how partnering with Expedia and other 3rd party agents is like being introduced on an awkward blind date. There can be some miscommunication. But once I got here and actually met the owners, it was the sort of personalized interaction you might expect at a bed & breakfast, or close to it.

Room Tip: I was in a no-smoking, no-cooking room, but I am told they have kitchenette rooms, too.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Leawood, KS, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This amazing little town of Canistota has several motels due to the popular chiropractic clinic there. We chose U-Bar due to the excellent reviews other travelers had left. We felt very comfortable and were pleased with our room, which had a kitchenette & table. If we needed to bring food, we would have been comfortable using the dishes and refrigerator. The bed was a king and worked well for my husband, who tends to have back issues. We slept well. We would recommend the hotel for anyone needing a good place near Lake Vermillion or in that part of South Dakota.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I called to make reservations at this "so called" motel. The guy working the phone was rude beyond belief. He was so confused on his rates that I never did get an accurate price. He made it sound like there were two beds in a closet and you would have to use the bathroom outside. He was seriously lacking in the ability to communicate with people in general. I guess some people think they are the only choice out there, but thankfully they are not. Save time and the punishment of rude people and get a room somewhere else. There are much classier places if you just drive a little further and it will be worth every penny.

Room Tip: Drive a little further and save yourself the headache of bad customer service
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Been to Best Western U-Bar Motel? Share your experiences!