“Deadwood Gulch Gaming Resort Hospitality!”

Deadwood Gulch Resort
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed for 5 days (actually 4) during the Sturgis motorcycle rally and I can't speak highly enough of our experience. We have stayed here several times in the past when we were lucky enough to get a reservation. Also, we have many friends who have stayed numerous times before and they all feel the same way. Our room was spotless every day. The "creekside" rooms back up to a delightful babbling brook that comes down from the hills surrounding Deadwood. Listening to the water lulled us to sleep every night. The breakfasts and dinners provided at no (or minimal) cost were very good. The overall quality of the restaurant was very nice as well. Their bakery makes the most wonderful donuts I have ever had! The hotel staff put these out for a late night snack at no cost to the guests, just another example of the hospitality one receives while staying here! Most of all, the service received from every member of the staff was exceptional! Everyone seemed so willing to go "above and beyond" no matter what the need was. Two examples....I purchased a buffalo skull that I needed to pack on the back of my bike to get it home, 1,000 miles away. The gentleman who ran the restaurant (he may have been one of the owners but I'm not sure) offered whatever I needed to wrap my purchase and secure it to the bike. He provided duct tape, scissors and heavy duty garbage bags to help me out. I asked if I could pay for anything as I had used quite a bit of his supplies, but he refused my offer. I tried again and again, but each time he answered I did not need to pay for anything, he was happy to do it. The other example that stands out happened as we were checking out. It became necessary to leave for home a day early. As anyone who has been to the Blackhills during the rally knows, rooms are paid in full many months in advance. We didn't even ask if we could get a refund for the day we would not be using. That's when Alice, the Guest Services Director volunteered that she would probably be able to rent out our room for the single night and then be more than happy to refund our money. I can imagine that many hotels would tell you the same thing, rent the room again and keep your original payment anyway! I have stayed in many places all over the world, both large chains and little independents. I can assure anyone who reads this that our experience here was very nice and you would be hard pressed to find better service anywhere!

The service here is exceptional.nners were very good

Room Tip: I would say the "Creekside" rooms would be the nicest simply because of the stream flowing...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chip B

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

We ate supper here Friday July 26, it was awesome our only complaint was too much food. My ribeye was done perfect my daughter had a chef salad it was very fresh but could have feed 3 people another person had the turkey dinner it was great will go here for sure again. No need to work about parking there it plenty of that to and u are away from the hustle

• Stayed: July 2013
traveler1294, General Manager at Deadwood Gulch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Wonderful!!! Thank you for leaving such a great review! I eat here almost every day and still like the food. (I think that is saying something) I always tell people the key to good customer service is simple....hire nice people.
It's nice to know we are doing our jobs and helping you to enjoy your experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Loved the service...very friendly and helpful...never needed to request anything for the rooms...very clean as pictured. Restaurant very near by..within walking distance (across parking lot)...souvenir shop as well. Complimentary breakfast every morning included eggs and toast....loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! It's nice to pass on such a wonderful review! It was very kind of you to take the time.
Take care and visit us again,
-Tracy

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We took my parents back to Deadwood to celebrate their 61st anniversary, as they spent their honeymoon there in 1952. They also took all their grandkids to Deadwood Gulch Resort 20 yrs ago. We couldn't have asked for a better time-from the restaurant service tooth housekeeping staff tooth front desk and players club, everyone gave their all to attend to our comfort and satisfaction. Special thanks to Melissa at the front desk! We'll be back!

Room Tip: The creekside rooms have a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam O

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments! I'm so glad we were able to make your stay special. What an amazing and fun anniversary gift! Wow! 61 years!!! Thank you for making us a part of that fantastic milestone. I hope your grandparents left us a letter with pointers. =)

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I can't say enough about the staff, especially the lovely waitress who agreed to serve two hungry people at 9:55 p.m. when all she wanted to do was cash out for 10:00 p.m. closing. The food was not as wonderful as she. I wish that I could say more about the hotel itself, other than it is dated. The pictures on the Trip Advisor site were taken a long time ago. I read the managers notes to other posters about an upcoming facelift. I'd wait to see it before booking again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We do have a great crew working here and really appreciate your positive comments. I'm not sure if you stayed in an updated room but I'm guessing not. We are almost done upgrading all of our bathrooms and will be continuing to make upgrades. Plese keep us in mind when making your next reservation. We promise to treat you right!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed in Deadwood Gulch Gaming resort at the beginning of July 2013, and it was terrible. The bathroom was dirty, and one of the two beds in the room had been slept in when we arrived. They don't change the sheets if they think only one bed is used, we were told this happens sometimes when the customers make their bed before leaving, they assume it wasn't slept in. Also, there are so many smoking rooms in the hotel that it smells everywhere, it was very unpleasant.

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
traveler1294, General Manager at Deadwood Gulch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

I'm not even sure how to respond to this review. I absolutely would have liked to have been given a chance to make things right if a mistake had been made on our part. Rarely if ever do we have issues in the rooms. We have a double check system where each room gets checked after if is cleaned and prior to being rented. I'm not sure how this happened but I was unaware of the issue until now. Our beds are all from Denver Mattress and we get many requests for information so our guest can purchase them on thier own so the single star on sleep quality is sure dissapointing. As you can read in our other reviews, our customer service is usually one of the top reasons people chose to stay, play, and eat with us so even two stars given for that is dissapointing. As for our value rating, we sure try to give everyone a good value with a complimentary hot meal in the restaurant, complimentary drinks (well drinks included) while gaming, complimentary cookies, snacks at different time throughout the day such as chips and salsa. We also have complimentary wifi and don't charge those crazy fees that other hotels do. I would have liked and would still appreciate the opportunity to make this guest a happy one by being able to show them the wonderful side of Deadwood Gulch Resort. I have sent my email address, please contact me.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at Deadwood Gulch for 3 nights, just prior to the 4th of July holiday.

When we checked in, we were greeted by a very friendly front desk staff. He took the time to explain the layout of the resort as well as where our hotel room was located.

We were lucky enough to have a room overlooking Whitewood Creek, which runs all through Deadwood. The sound of the small creek was very relaxing and it was nice having this as a backdrop to the hotel room.

The room was clean with two comfortable beds. Bathroom was of typical size for a hotel room with two beds.

They also leave a cute little rubber ducky on the tub that is yours to keep (nice touch!).

The casino was of average size for Deadwood and the staff was very attentive with any questions as well as the complimentary drink service.

I would say that the only thing that would have made the resort perfect would be the addition of a pool. While they have a hot tub and a small workout room, the pool would have put it over the top!

As others have said, the resort is a bit of a ways up the hill from Downtown Deadwood, but it's a very easy walk down on the Mickelson Trail that is right by the resort. Depending on your physical ability, you may want to take advantage of the $1 trolley that goes around Deadwood when coming back to the resort, due to the hills leading back up to the resort.

This is definitely a place we would stay at again should we return to Deadwood in the future!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Whitewood Creek have a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tazmaniandvl
traveler1294, General Manager at Deadwood Gulch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Woooohoooo! 5 stars is the goal! Thank you very much for your review! On your next visit I do have two wonderful options for you since we don't have a pool. Our very friendly neighboring campground has an outdoor pool that they are gracious enough to let our guests use in the summer. Our other pool option is a complimentary pass to the local Recreation Center. That pool has a slide, workout machines, wonderful weight room, basketball court, and running track. We have those available for our guests if they express an interest in a pool. Hope that helps and thank you so very much once again for the kind of review that makes our spirits soar.