“Friendly, courteous,and clean!”

Black Hills Inn & Suites
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Wow, I think the lady from Georgia stopped at a different Inn. The staff was quite friendly, Our room was clean and neat. We stayed 6 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it! The weather was a bit cool, but I learned many years ago I could not get a discount or refund on lodging based on tough weather... Seriously, would recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a clean room at a great rate. The Inn is biker friendly. C onvenient, and I look forward to a return visit. Oh by the way...The bikers there while we were there were usually sipping coffee in the morning and quietly in their rooms by 10 pm.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Razorstar

Reviewed 17 July 2008

I rode in with my Group of Friends/Motorcycle riders from all over the U.S. and Canada. I found the place to be accomodating and the staff were excellent and very responsive. My stay at the Blackhills Inn was very pleasant and gave me a place to relax and enjoy my visit with my friends after a day of riding and site seeing. The only thing I found disturbing my tranquility was a "lady" from Georgia who was very rude to everyone including the staff. I guess it takes all kinds but my stay was very pleasant except for that "lady"?

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Conard S
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I reserved two rooms for two nights at this supposed family safe hotel room based on their travel brochure. Do not let their web site or brochures fool you. As soon as I pulled in the parking lot I knew there would be trouble when a couple of drunk, half dressed women darted out in front of my car. Bikers lined the walls each with a can of cheap natural lite beer can. I paid and ushered my children out only to find the hotel owner or manager laughing with a couple of intoxicated bikers who insisted upon calling lewd comments to a group of nearby children. After making a path through the drunk crowd blocking the entrance of my room I managed to open the tiny room only to be over come by a gush of mildew. Immediately I slammed the door and raced back to the office to demand a full refund. The hateful clerk girl insisted I signed "No Refunds" policy. When I raised my voice threatening to call the police on the drunkards outside, she gave me a refund but not after popping off her nasty mouth. Anyone looking for a night of decent sleep or who are traveling with children should not stay at this hotel. I suggest the Ponderosa hotel and cabins located in Lead, which is only 3 miles from down town Dead Wood. I paid less then what Black Hills Inn would have charged me for a two bed room cabin located on the side of a mountain where elk came to drink every morning.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank GeorgiaSunSet
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2010

Our motel has a swimming pool so what was taken for "half-dressed women dashing" were children running from the swimming pool area to the Creekside Suites. Lewd behavior is not tolerated nor is foul language.
We respect the rights of ALL of our guests to have a safe and pleasant Deadwood visit.

Reviewed 31 December 2007

A quick last minute ski trip was our idea for the end of our Christmas break. The snow at Deer Mountain wasn't great but we figured we'd take an inexpensive getaway.
The pricing at this resort is very appealing and they have several different package deals that make it even better.
Our family of 4 rented 2 rooms for 2 nights each for just under $200 total. The staff is very friendly and helpful. A basic continental breakfast of toast, cereal or good bagels is included. The rooms are quite clean. For the price this is pretty good.
However, understand before you go that the rooms are small and very basically furnished. The room with 2 double beds that my sons stayed in had beds that seemed quite small for that size. (The boys, at 17 and 20, are tall...they fit but barely). Our queen bed was pretty hard. The heating system is that kind without a true thermostat that blows constantly and either "cooks" or freezes you. A pool and a hot tub at these prices is a plus but the hot tub was a bit disappointing. It just wasn't quite hot enough to feel really good. It wasn't unpleasant since it was clean and appealing to look at but, didn't really live up to what an apres-skier needs for those aching middle aged legs. Another small "con" for the place is that the front desk closes at 10 pm. By calling before hand, we were able to get them to leave our keys and a phone number if we had questions...again, they are very friendly and pleasant.
Oh well, this place does have a good location for those that don't really want the Deadwood scene surrounding them. (Most Deadwood lodgings have gaming right in the lobby.) The Black Hills Inn has a cozy lobby and a much more peaceful feel to it yet provides easy access to Deadwood when you want it; either on the Trolley or by car

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My husband & I and our 2 teenage children just returned from a trip to beautiful South Dakota. Our first 2 nights wre spent in Deadwood at Black Hills Inn & Suites. We would highly recommend 1 of the few "suites" available especially if travelling with children. There are 2 seperate rooms with a tv & remote controlled ac in each room. One room has 1 bed & the 2nd room has 2 beds so the kids didn't have to sleep with each other (gross!!). There is a deck that overlooks a bubbling stream & the hiking trail passes right in front. The indoor pool & hot tub were nice & well looked after. The hotel is located slightly out of the way to actually walk to Main Street but there is a trolley every 20 minutes for $ 1 per person.
Expect to spend a fair amount of money on attractions - there is alot to do. Our favorites were Cosmos Mystery Area / Bear Country and driving through Custer Park where we were surrounded by a herd(?) of donkeys wanting treats. A great photo opportunity. Beautiful scenery everywhere. Try & take a drive down Iron Mountain Road & stop at a picnic area. It's beautiful & it's free!.

Reviewed 6 November 2006

We spent the weekend in adjoining suites (separate from the main hotel property) with another family. The room we used had 2 double beds and a double/twin bunkbed, a mini frig and microwave, TV mounted high on the wall, and plenty of open floor space. Our friends adjoining suite had a room with a double/twin bunkbed and TV, and a larger room with a queen size bed, ample open floor space and a large TV cabinet. I'm not sure if their room had a frig & microwave or not. There is a deck with seating facing the creek that runs right along the property. The kids loved the place because of all the open floor space! The swimming pool in the main building is somewhat small, but ranges from an easy entry at 3 feet depth to 6 feet. The trolley comes by every 20 minutes to take you into town. This property is the last stop on the trolley route, so it does take a little longer to get into town, but it's really not an inconvenience. Another couple we were with stayed in the main property and did comment that their room was very small. However, they were allowed to have their small dog in that room.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2006

The rooms were extremly small, not a good choice for a family! The staff was friendly when you could find them. The location is out of the way, the trolley the staff talked so highly of was slow and inconveniant. The room was not cleaned properly, (dusty shelves, and desk). The bathroom was also very small. I was highly dissapointed with the experinece here.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family