“Value for money”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Regina, Canada
“Value for money”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have relatives visited from far, so I decided to take them on a road trip to South Dakota. There are 7 of us including 2 kids. It is Summer and everywhere is full but Thank God we found this. They have a room that can fit all of us which is great for reunion :) It is not right in the city so you will expect some quietness which is a plus for us. We arrived there late and hungry but the person on shift is nice enough to help us call for pizza that do delivery to our doorstep and they were yummy :) It is not a fancy hotel, it is an older building but well kept. The room and beds are clean and 7 of us shared a tiny clean bathroom. Clean towels and basic toiletries are provided. We are surprised that with the price we paid, it does include a simple breakfast like cereals, toast, baggels, butter, jam, peanutbutter, coffee & orange juice. We stayed here for 3 nights and my relatives had no complaint about the hotel too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was looking forward to our trip to South Dakota as I am on a limited income and never get to do anything fun. I booked three nights in this economy motel and would do anything to take it back. The first night of stay, we discovered that our supposed queen bed is a very hard and old double bed and there is no tub (only a tiny little shower). Oh well, we thought, we will make the best of it. It didn't seem like a big deal because we were not planning on spending much time in the room. There was an ice bucket and some cups. We brought beverages with us and need some ice to chill the pineapple juice. I looked for the ice machine and couldn't find one. I finally asked the manager for ice and he rudely said the machine is broken. I asked him why there was an ice bucket in the room. He stated that he would give me some ice for the room but not for coolers (He said this almost yelling at me). I handed him my bucket and he gave me eight cubes of ice (obviously from an ice machine). This was not enough to chill the pineapple juice but I didn't say anything because I figured I could just buy some ice. What a jerk though. Anyway, that first night set the tempo for the entire stay. The manager was so abusive that no matter what I asked him, he would yell at me in a threatening manner. I told my boyfriend (who is a lawyer) that I could not approach the front desk again without a witness. He made sure to accompany me to the desk if I needed something. It didn't matter, the man still treated me poorly (until I told him that my companion was an attorney....lol that changed his tune). The bad experience did not solely rely on the manager's borderline personality disorder. The place is a dump (except the rooms are clean and the house keeping girl is nice, attentive, and responsive to customer needs). The fan in the bathroom was falling out of the ceiling and was on if the light was on. It was scary to use the toilet with that thing over my head because it could fall at anytime. The ladder in the pool is broken and unusable and caused an injury when I attempted to use it. The walls are paper thin and you can hear conversations in the next room. I suggest finding somewhere else to stay as it will ruin your vacation to stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Catherine M
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
This guest was intoxicated when she checked in and still was three days later when she checked out. The person who was rude was the guest. As for interactions with the guest, I talked to her the morning after she checked in and the day she checked out. When checking their room, it was pretty much a disaster so when she demanded a receipt showing no charge on checkout, we refused until the room was thoroughly cleaned. In the many years we have been here, we have not had a guest demand a receipt showing no charge. In fact, if the issue would have continued, we would have contacted the police.

Travellers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Tecumseh, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We arrived here very late one night just needing a place to stay. Our children were tired and this was the only place in town available. If we had seen the room before we had paid, we probably would not have stayed. I do have to say that the beds were clean (that's always a plus) but the room was the smallest we had ever seen! We felt crammed in with nowhere to move. Despite the clean beds there was mold growing in the bathroom corner. We were relieved when morning came, because none of us got much sleep. On a side note, why do all motorcycle riders feel the awnings are their personal parking spaces and block the entrance doors from everyone else? I don't park my SUV under the awning and if I did I would be asked to move it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DennisJr78
We realize the rooms are small and in fact we tell people making reservations that the rooms with 2 beds may not be suitable for 3-4 adults or adults with older children. As for guests on motorcycles using the canopy, it is a courtesy we provide for bikers which provides additional security for their vehicles.
We do have larger rooms available for those that request them.
Rapid City
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We enjoyed a pleasant night here. Yes, it is an older establishment, but it was clean and comfortable. Shower water was nice and hot, bed was fine, and the television had a nice selection of channels. The room was small compared to some but certainly comfortable. The breakfast of cereal, juice, toast, bagels and coffee was more than enough for us. It was a good value for the price and I would stay again. It was nice to be just a bit out of town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Room was clean and staff was friendly. Not a high dollar motel, but worth what we paid. The pool and hot tub are a nice bonus. Would stay again. Breakfast was not worth going down for, except for the coffee. Beds are a little hard also.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We have stayed there now on three occassions when visiting from Australia for Sturgis. Joe and his staff are great and only too willing to help. As others have said, not five star, but comfortable and friendly. Good transport into Deadwood. Will be back

Room Tip: Noise is not noticed even in bike week
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Gibbon, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have stayed many times at the Black Hills Inn. The place is quiet, has a large parking lot. Joe (the owner/manager) is a very nice person, so is his wife. Joe will help out in any way he can. Everything in the rooms always works well. I do not mind that the place is not a 5 star motel, I use it as a base camp so to speak for a week stay each time I am there. I do not go on vacation to set around the motel just to enjoy the rooms, that costs to much if one wants to do that. I usually ride a motorcycle to the Black Hills, although I also drive a car as well.
I deeply enjoy quiet nights and mornings at the Inn. The morning breakfast as well. I have also stayed at several other places in Deadwood. All at very much higher prices, and cramped parking, and more noise to go along with it. I have never had a problem at the Inn.
The Deadwood Shuttle Bus stops at the Inn on the hour or more depending on the time of the year. Also, the Deadwood Police drive through to make sure everything is secure.
There is trout in the stream that flows through the front yard of the Inn, deer on the hill sides next to the Inn.
I plan to spend more nights there in the future. I usually spend time there in May, and Sept. of each year.
Doran S.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Doran S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deadwood
Thunder Cove Hotel
Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex
First Gold Hotel
First Gold Hotel
#17 of 24 in Deadwood

Been to Black Hills Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!