“Avoid by all means!”

Black Hills Inn & Suites
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Our stay in Deadwood lasted six days and a total of ONE night at the Blackhills Inn. The rooms were dark and dim and smelled of something like moth balls. Later I discovered the reason for the moth balls when I noticed the mold in the bath room. The sheet were also stained.
We spent most of our time out exploring Deadwood, then returned for a good night sleep when the next door neighbors decided to get intoxicated and turn up the music and run in and out of their rooms, slamming the rooms doors until 3 AM! The staff go home at 10 PM and there is no one around to report this too.
The next morning when I politely complained to the Inn staff, they had that "I do not care attitude and told me if another guest wanted to drink, there was nothing they could do about it." I do not care if they would have drink themselves to death, it was the frenzy they caused in which disturbed everyone one on our hall that agitated us. We departed and found a more suitable lodge.
I really should have listened to "That Georgia Girl's" and "Satisfaction7's" review as it seemed they really knew what they were talking about. I think the Manhattan's review is really a hotel employee and I do not believe for one second he was actually there when another reviewer was complaining as this was his only review listed on his profile. It is odd that three people who stayed here at separate times and do not know each other all had similar experience. My conclusion; Better safe then sorry, just avoid this place unless you are looking for a party.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Texas_Star32
BHIS-Manager, Manager at Black Hills Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2010

We offer FREE ROOM INSPECTION so there is no need to be dissatisfied with accommodations.
Deadwood has a number of special event weekends during the year that promote good times. Sometimes, some guests have a very good time! For the times when things get out of control, a 24 hour phone number that is answered by a person is posted. If that is not satisfactory, the police are generally less than 5 minutes away.
As for the insinuation that hotel employees are posting reviews, that is false.

Reviewed 14 August 2008

We stayed overnight at the Black Hills Inn the week of August 10th. The suite worked well for our family of six (4 kids 17-22). The suite had two twin beds plus a bunk bed and was was on the creek side. The room was was clean and quiet. We had reservations, and the inn keeper let us change the date of our stay without issue. A nice continental breakfast was included with the room.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We just wanted to say thank you to the staff at the Black Hills Inn. You made our visit pleasent and comfortable. Everything from helping us get to the trolley to recommending great places to eat. Your location is a diamond in the rough. This location was just about half way in between everything we wanted to see. Although the rooms were a little small they were very clean and besides we weren't there to stay in the rooms. Having a great location for our group to meet and enjoy a continental breakfast plan out our day and to e-mail our loved ones at home was awesome. Thanks again.

2  Thank LindaMcB
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We spent 5 days in the Deadwood area Jun the 9th until 13th. The Black Hills Inn is a good central location from which to see the sights, such as MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Spearfish Canyon, Sturgis, Presidents Statues,Devils Tower etc... The rooms were clean and the staff very helpful. I would not hesitate to book there again. The Trolly comes pretty regularly so that you can enjoy the Deadwood sites without having to drive and find parking.
It was a great experience.

Thanks
Hans & Patsy Engelhardt
Cambridge,Ontario

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank PatriciaEng
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Wow, I think the lady from Georgia stopped at a different Inn. The staff was quite friendly, Our room was clean and neat. We stayed 6 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it! The weather was a bit cool, but I learned many years ago I could not get a discount or refund on lodging based on tough weather... Seriously, would recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a clean room at a great rate. The Inn is biker friendly. C onvenient, and I look forward to a return visit. Oh by the way...The bikers there while we were there were usually sipping coffee in the morning and quietly in their rooms by 10 pm.

1  Thank Razorstar
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I rode in with my Group of Friends/Motorcycle riders from all over the U.S. and Canada. I found the place to be accomodating and the staff were excellent and very responsive. My stay at the Blackhills Inn was very pleasant and gave me a place to relax and enjoy my visit with my friends after a day of riding and site seeing. The only thing I found disturbing my tranquility was a "lady" from Georgia who was very rude to everyone including the staff. I guess it takes all kinds but my stay was very pleasant except for that "lady"?

2  Thank Conard S
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I reserved two rooms for two nights at this supposed family safe hotel room based on their travel brochure. Do not let their web site or brochures fool you. As soon as I pulled in the parking lot I knew there would be trouble when a couple of drunk, half dressed women darted out in front of my car. Bikers lined the walls each with a can of cheap natural lite beer can. I paid and ushered my children out only to find the hotel owner or manager laughing with a couple of intoxicated bikers who insisted upon calling lewd comments to a group of nearby children. After making a path through the drunk crowd blocking the entrance of my room I managed to open the tiny room only to be over come by a gush of mildew. Immediately I slammed the door and raced back to the office to demand a full refund. The hateful clerk girl insisted I signed "No Refunds" policy. When I raised my voice threatening to call the police on the drunkards outside, she gave me a refund but not after popping off her nasty mouth. Anyone looking for a night of decent sleep or who are traveling with children should not stay at this hotel. I suggest the Ponderosa hotel and cabins located in Lead, which is only 3 miles from down town Dead Wood. I paid less then what Black Hills Inn would have charged me for a two bed room cabin located on the side of a mountain where elk came to drink every morning.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank GeorgiaSunSet

Our motel has a swimming pool so what was taken for "half-dressed women dashing" were children running from the swimming pool area to the Creekside Suites. Lewd behavior is not tolerated nor is foul language.
We respect the rights of ALL of our guests to have a safe and pleasant Deadwood visit.