“Wonderful place to take your family of all ages!”

Ranked #28 of 44 things to do in Deadwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A large, popular ski area with trails for snowmobiles.
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have been coming to Deer Mountain for 8 years. A few years ago it changed owners and I'm so glad they did. The place was in need of repair. In the last few years that the new owners have taken over they have really focused on the family aspect all the way from music, food, upgrading the tubing experience and redesigning the hill for skiing and snowboarding. PLUS a fantastic highly qualified list of impressive instructors. The hill is better this year than it's been in years past. This place gets better and better with each new year. It's so wonderful to see how this older ski place has been taken and loved and transformed each year to make it a versatile family place- something for everyone to enjoy! I know my kids and myself look forward to many more years of memories and enjoyment at Deer Mountain. I love to see the new remodels and transformations each year. Mark and Alisha have transformed and continue to transform this place into someplace for the whole family to enjoy!!!!!!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Decided to take our kids tubing during a Friday night. There is a sign right at check-in that says that intoxicated people are not allowed on the slopes. Lies. I complained to two separate staff members about the actions of a group of intoxicated individuals - especially since there were a fair number of children around - but my concerns fell on deaf ears. You would think tubing would be a fun family activity - but not so much with all the swearing and disorderly conduct going on - and the cigarette smoke wafting around while riding up the lift.

Also, a lot of the tubes were flat. There were not enough tubes to go around - so they had to be passed up the line of those waiting (so you could not ensure you would not have a flat tube). Tubing is also rather expensive - $30/person for 2 hours - and that includes kids under the age of 5 who have to use their own tube (although the staff did allow me to pull my son's tube up with me on the lift).

The night tubing area is not well lit on the slopes. It didn't seem to bother us much - but maybe next time we'd bring head lamps.

The lodge area did seem to be a bit run down - but nothing alarming - it is no 5-star ski area by any means.

I guess we weren't that impressed.

2  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Mystic Mountain ski resort is something we stumbled on completely out of the blue. We were staying in a rental cabin up the road for a week. Glad we discovered it! Had the pleasure of meeting the owners in the cozy little lounge, very personable & genuine. This little resort has tubing, night tubing, skiing, boarding & more. Great little gem!

1  Thank jacqjanzen
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was my first time at this resort and I was a little disappointed at how old and unkept this place was. It was very run down and small compared to other ski resorts in the area. The girls got tired very quick;y about going up and down the hill because they had to hold onto a rope and pull themselves up. The skiers and the tubers had lifts but the snowboarders have to pull themselves up? They had a bar if you want to drink and they also provide food and non alcoholic beverages, it is very expensive but you are at a ski resort so it is expected I guess. All in all it was ok but for a place that is not kept up the prices are just as high as other ski resorts, I suggest doing some upgrades and keeping the roads up because we went past 4-5 cars that were stuck in the snow because of so much snow the week before.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Fun place to spend a few hours tubing. 3 tube runs and they let you tether together. Friendly outdoor staff, we will be back!