“Stunning place”

The Lodge at Deadwood
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We did not stay here, but visited the Casino a couple of times and walked through the hotel and restaurant area while in the Deadwood area. This place is really well done. It is unlike the casino's down in the town. It is set high atop a hill with beautiful views from every direction. If you want to stay in a place with some class while visiting the South Dakota area....I would say this is the one.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the excellent review of the Facility. We hope that next time you are in the area you will get to enjoy a stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Deadwood

Reviewed 4 September 2012

The only complaint we had is we had to leave to early. It was clean and no smoking anywhere was great. It is a little pricey but it's a super nice place. The casino was fun and the poker room was set up great other than a limited number of games going on.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is surprising to us that we get that complaint a lot from people. It is always nicer when you get to extend your stay a little longer and enjoy everything that Deadwood and the Lodge has to offer. Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you return to the Lodge of Deadwood in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

This place always looks new.

The hotel is always quiet. The rooms are clean. Everything works. The view from the rooms is great. No shortage of hot water. The water pressure is very good too. The coffee in the Business Area is always good.

The only complaint, is the elevators are very slow. But not unreasonably. About an extra minute if it is coming down from the top floor.

Our first choice when looking for rooms.

Room Tip: Get one looking to the east. Nice view into the valley
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! Thanks for the great tip. I believe at this time of year it is hard to have a bad view from the resort with the leaves changing colors. The fall is the best time to visit the hills area. Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you return to the Lodge of Deadwood in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

My dog and I stopped here on a cross-country road trip; I had no interest in the area itself, or in the casinos (Deadwood is a gambling town), but we needed a stopover, and Deadwood and Rapid City are basically the only two places within hundreds of miles with semi-decent hotels. So, we gave it a try.
The room itself was very nice (although much too dark), the staff was very friendly, and it was nice that they had room service -- the food was pretty good, and remarkably cheap for room service. I also enjoyed the convenience of a gift shop.
However, I had been debating between this place and the Mountain Grand Hotel, and picked the Lodge primarily due to the photo of a lovely green meadow in their photo gallery, as well as the hotel's description of a "million-acre playground just outside your door": I was expecting a grassy green paradise for my dog. Well, I have NO idea where or how they actually managed to take that photo, or where the alleged "playground" is: there was essentially no grass on the property, and literally no grass for my dog -- the few sparse patches of grass said "no dogs, please use pet area", which was a strip of dirt, weeds, sticks, and bugs at the top of a cliff. It looked like there were pretty areas below the hotel, but you had to either drive there or be a climber, the property itself was surrounded by a very steep very high rocky weed-covered hill... certainly too steep for my dog and I to attempt to cilmb down. (I also picked this hotel to get a king bed, but was given 2 queens instead; apparently they do not assign rooms until you check in, so it's basically how early you get there).
But I'm sure someone who is just there for the casino will love the hotel, it is beautiful inside with beautiful views outside -- I just wished there was a way to get to them!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank andreamavi

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is greatly appreciated to hear feedback from our guests. Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you return to the Lodge of Deadwood in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

After checking my ipad, the rates listed were more than I wanted to pay but since it was midweek I decided to go in and try to negotiate a lower rate. The front desk attendant was most helpful and apparently the hotel had plenty of rooms so we were given a much better rate. The room was beautiful with western decor which we liked very much. Room was very quiet which I appreciate and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the fan could be turned on to run at a constant speed (hate the units that go on and off). The casino was non smoking which was SO nice....even though I didn't have any luck I enjoyed playing for awhile. We ate in the bar area which was very relaxing and were well satisfied with our food. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gumbogirlie
DeadwoodLodge, General Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lodge At Deadwood on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate the excellent review of the hotel accommodations. We hope you have better luck in the casino on future visits. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you at the resort again sometime soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Feel guilty about haggling the Front Desk Clerk down on a Jacuzzi Suite. Much more than I expected. Room had two balconies, large bathroom, plus living room and kitchen/bar area. Hotel also has great restaurant.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark752
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thanks for the great review on Tripadvisor of the Lodge at Deadwood! We hope to have back at the resort again soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We've stayed in Deadwood a number of times, and this is the best place we've found.

It is relatively new, and the rooms are clean and tastefully decorated. I must say a word about the bathrooms. They are large, well-lighted, and the fan actually clears the fog from the mirror. If you shave after a shower, you'll appreciate it. The Lodge is quiet, and we found the staff to be efficient and helpful.

The only negatives here are that breakfast does not come with the room, and you are about a mile from the center of town. However, if you don't want to drive down there a shuttle bus comes by every hour.

On balance, though, this is a good place. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plainsrefugee

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is greatly appreciated to hear feedback from our guests. We truly believe that we have the very best in service and product that the hills have to offer. Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you return to the Lodge of Deadwood in the future.