“Vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Mineral Point, Wisconsin, United States
“Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stay on a wet and rain night, in the upper 40s. The beds that we stayed in was a queen, a sheet with a bed cover, no blanket, and none in the room.
Hotel/ casino, new place, just out side of Deadwood, on highway 85, on top of a hill.
The service is nice, the people are nice especially at the front dest, where we check in.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan G
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is greatly appreciated to hear feedback from our guests. I am sorry to hear that the weather wasn't better for you during your visit to Deadwood. We look forward to having you visit again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed at the Lodge at Deadwood May 14 - May 16, 2013. The room price was $71.10/night for an online reservation. We stayed here about a year or so ago. (we go to Deadwood about once a year) The room was very nice especially for that price. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable, bed linens smelled fresh and clean, a nice flat screen TV, wifi that worked well and the bathroom was spotless.

The first night we went to the casino before dinner to play a little blackjack. They had one $2 table, one $5 table, one $10 table and I think some higher denomination tables. All of the tables were empty except the $2 table and it was full with people waiting. Higher denomination tables had employees just standing there doing nothing. After about 20 minutes, one spot opened up and my husband took it. He played for about 90 minutes while I wandered around, went to the gift shop, bought a drink and then watched him play. A second spot never did open up, so we gave up and went to one of the in-house restaurants - The Deadwood Grille. (I'm not a very good blackjack player, but enjoy it occasionally. I'm sure they could have extracted $40 or so dollars from me, but instead they got nothing)

We had a great dinner experience at the Deadwood Grille last year, but not this time. There were only two other tables of guests in the entire restaurant. They seated us right next to a particularly loud one. We asked to move to a table further away from them and that really ticked off the waitress. And it just went down hill from there. Sabrina was extremely unfriendly, bordering on rude. She barely spoke to us and when she did, it was with an attitude. They have a limited wine selection. We ordered the tomato mozzarella salad. It was clearly pre-made and refrigerated ahead of time. It was so cold, I would say it was close to being frozen in the middle - not a good thing for tomatoes. It was still pretty good - they use a high quality balsamic. Less than half way through our salad, our entrees arrived, so they just sat on the side while we finished our salads. The manager wandered by, so we stopped him and told him our entrees were cold. He said it was because they had a "fast" kitchen. He took them back and warmed them up. The entrees were really good - halibut and walleye - prepared perfectly with delicious sauces. The side dishes were excellent as well. The manager gave us comment cards to fill out to report the rude waitress and instructed us to take them to the hostess desk, but Sabrina was the only person at the hostess stand, so we returned them to the manager. He did not seem empowered to do or say anything. It was quite disappointing to spend $80+ and receive bad service, plus it was my birthday.

Needless to say the next night we went into Deadwood for gambling and food. We ate at the Deadwood Social Club. We had a fantastic meal with great service. It was a very busy - lots of customers. The tiramisu was fantastic - even better than the ones we had in Italy. They have an extensive wine list and are quite knowledgeable and very friendly. They also have a separate wine and martini bar.

We found many $2 blackjack tables in downtown Deadwood casinos.

We also usually eat at Jakes, but it was not open yet. Jakes never disappoints. You really should try it when you are in Deadwood.

We may stay at the Lodge next time, but we will definitely eat and gamble downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for taking your time to respond on Tripadvisor about your experience at the Lodge. We feel that we always have room for improvement and we thank you for letting us know. I believe next time you stay with us you will see a vast improvement in the service.
Dickinson, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were site seeing through the Dakota's and tried to stay at The Lodge at Deadwood. Unfortunately they were sold out.
We came back the next day to gamble, drink, and eat. We were very happy with the way we treated. The waitress at the bar went above and beyond to help us with our next site seeing tour. The cocktail waitress were coming around the machines frequently asking if they could get us anything (Sadly I was driving and limited to one drink). We spent over five hours in this establishment and don't have one complaint. I
hope next time I go to Deadwood I make my reservations in advance so I get the chance to stay at the hotel.

Julie

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
The Lodge At Deadwood would like to thank you for your comments. We strive to maintain the highest level of satisfaction, and appreciate your kind response to our efforts. We very much hope to have you as our guest again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I spent three days and two nights at this property. The view of the South Dakota countryside was BEAUTIFUL. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bathroom was large. This may sound petty but the shower was great. Water pressure, shower head were outstanding and just what I needed to wake up.

The conference center was very nice. The audio visual set up was state of the art. The room conditions and chairs were very comfortable. The refreshments provided for attendees was excellent and the coffee was as good as any boutique barista could make.

The lounge, restaurant and wait staff were attentive without being intrusive and the menu was very good. The food was excellent and the portions were generous.

Although this was a business trip, I would definitely take family and friends there.

Room Tip: Meal at the bar was great.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is great to hear that you enjoyed the conference that was held at the Lodge. We hope to see you back at the Lodge for a vacation in the near future.
Watertown, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel is a great place to great away. Everything was handled professionally and friendly right from the moment you walked in the door. Our rooms were great and the food was excellent. I would highly recommend this stop on every bodies list when you are in the deadwood area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! The staff and management at the Lodge truly believe the only way to measure our success is to hear directly from our guests. We look forward to having you visit again soon.
Sioux Falls
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

A few minor issues downgraded my opinion of the hotel. First, the TV would not turn on. When a maintenance person quickly came up to check it out at 8:30PM, I was informed that this was the only room of 140 that had an issue with the TV; it needed to be unplugged then replugged into the back of the TV. Second, no shampoo/soap on day two. Third, one of the 4 bulbs in the bathroom was not working the 3 days. As for the food, I thought it was very good, but several other travels were not complimentary of the Rueben sandwiches or the lasagna. At breakfast, the steak tips and eggs were delicious. Another morning, I had the "Lodge 123" for breakfast -- biggest crisp bacon strips and with the most meat I'd ever seen. Be sure to specify the size of drink you would like; otherwise, you'll be given a large. For the large nachos I ordered, I asked for no jalepinos -- oops. The pool area was clean and had a lot of things for kids to play in. As for the view, I looked into the side of a hill, but was able to strain to get a glimpse of the mountains. A shuttle took you into town to the other casinos and tourist attractions. Cost for a cab from the bottom of the hill was $8. The drivers of the shuttle weren't the most helpful. The shuttle runs up to The Lodge every hour; however on the return trip, you may end up taking 50 minutes to get back up the hill -- so plan accordingly. Not all shuttles go up to the top of the hill; people aren't suppose to smoke or drink on the shuttle -- roll the dice to see if that is enforced. The hotel had an excellent special that ran in the Sioux Falls newspaper, Argus Leader." Upgrade your room for $10/day and receive $25 in coupons for meals and $25 for gambling per day. In that same advertisement, there was a coupon for $50 in gambling credits for just becoming a member at Cadillac Jack's. There are 2 computers in the business area, which came in very handy because of the poor T-mobile reception I received (Verizon and others also had problems because of the mountains). My problem was complicated by the fact that minor power fluctuations in the room kicked off my charger and my phone died completely. If you are coming east on I-90, I'd recommend taking a side trip into the Badlands National Park. It's about a 45 minute drive, but well worth seeing the unique formations. The lobby had a variety of publications; unfortunately, its "Black Hills Visitor" was the winter edition which had coupons expiring in March (my trip was in May).

Room Tip: Ask for a view looking out toward the mountains.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor! The staff and management at the Lodge truly believe the only way to measure our success is to hear directly from our guests. We realize that we did not meet your expectations or ours as we strive to be the best place to stay at in Deadwood. We apologize for the minor maintenance issues that arose during your stay and on your next visit we are sure that you will see that the issues have been corrected.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Traveling across the country, Deadwood became a logical stopping point along our route... I had really no expectations for this place and must say I was impressed by the super friendly staff and importantly, the food at The Deadwood Grille on the property. As "foodies" coming through from NYC, it was excellent. Get the tomato mozzarella salad app! The casino was clean and the bartender/cocktail waitresses were really nice and fun to talk to. Highly recommend this for anyone visiting the area!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DeadwoodLodge, Manager at The Lodge at Deadwood, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Lodge. Please keep us in mind if you are ever traveling across country again.