“Wonderful place”
Review of Thunder Cove Hotel

Thunder Cove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location in Deadwood. About 1 mile from the franklin downtown but the trolley comes around every 20 minutes for $1 each. Very clean hotel. Comfortable king bed. Mini fridge in room. Owners are so nice and informative of the area. Highly recommend if looking for a nice, clean, affordable room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gwviper

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Have stayed here many times and never been disappointed. Staff bends over backwards to accommodate. Rooms are big, clean, have a refrigerator and a recliner. Trolley stops at the front door every twenty minutes to downtown. Prices are very reasonable and include breakfast.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill K
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were in town for the marathon, and waited until the last minute to book our rooms - the bigger hotels in the center of town were all booked up, and ridiculously overpriced. I found this place using AAA, and what a pleasant surprise. The motel is steps away from the shuttle, which runs every 30 minutes or so. Downtown Deadwood at night can be overrun with boisterous drunks and crowded. This place is about 2 miles away from all of that, but still close enough that you get the feel of the town's history. It's a motel, circa 1966, and quite kitschy . . . but it's a gem. The staff were quite simply bend-over-backward fantastic. We got caught in a bad storm driving in and were concerned our arrival would be later than 9 p.m. (they don't have a 24-hour desk). We called and the owner stayed late to accommodate our arrival. The room was clean with adequate space with some of the features associated with your bigger chains. All in all, just a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bksmrt
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We so enjoyed our stay here. Rents had been increased because of Wild Bill Hickok celebrations, but owner very kindly reduced it for us as we booked 3 days. We had arrived early, had not booked, but the lady in charge sent 3 maids to get the room ready for us to use when we returned from the supermarket. They were very busy as the accommodation in and around Deadwood was booked up, because of the celebrations. Lovely room with a rocking chair as well and a great breakfast in the morning. There was a staff member in the breakfast room at all times who would enquire if we had everything we needed. Shuttle tram picks up right outside motel every 20 minutes to down town with various stops to suit for $1, so you can leave your car in the motel car park and not struggle to find a space in Deadwood. A great place to stay which we have noted in our travel diary for another day.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fanny1212
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Great motel....you will not be disappointed when staying here! Shuttle service every 30minutes
To down town Deadwood.
The property is very well taken care of, rooms very clean....great coffee and breakfast items.
This was our second stay here, and we will return!

Room Tip: I believe any of the rooms would be very good....very clean.....we had a south king bed Room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I really like this place, and our family has stayed here many times over the years. You'll get a good room at a great price. You'll get people there that will bend over backwards for you because they are just quality people. I needed to change my timeframe when a snowstorm came through, no problem back in April. Midway through my stay, i need to leave early, they took care of it without a murmur. They do have a trolley that will take you down to the main gambling area, but basically across the street and down a smidge is the Gulch. My stay was quiet, even had a small waterfall outside my window I got to hear and see as I worked in my room with all the rain. If you want a quiet room, ask for the second floor with the windows facing the cliff. I never heard anyone. I love love love that they give you a rocking recliner in your room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Avarel
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I had made reservations at the Black Hills Inn and Suits, When I arrived in town the people at the Deadwood Black Hills Inn and Suits had no hot water for over a month and they did not get hold me to tell this I had to find out in person they did recomded this place. I enjoyed my stay during Deadwood Madri Grass even stayed one extra day. I plan to stay their a couple of time this year.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deadwood
Black Hills Inn & Suites
Deadwood Dick's
Deadwood Dick's
#17 of 25 in Deadwood
Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex

Been to Thunder Cove Hotel? Share your experiences!