“Didn't see Seth peaking at us.”
Review of Bullock Hotel

Bullock Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Union Center, South Dakota
“Didn't see Seth peaking at us.”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I'd stay here again. Took the haunted #314 room, but no paranormal activity. I like old vintage hotels and this is one. I like creaky wood floors. The staff is good for the most part, but you can tell it's the off-season and Monday nite is "off" the 3 day gambling week-end schedule.

Room Tip: I think any would be just fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Dunkirk, New York
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had one of the smaller rooms and it was dimly lit and the uncomfortable bed was too small for 2 adults. We had an issue with a noisy bathroom door and bad thermostat that we reported to the front desk, and maintenance did not respond during our stay. The hotel is conveniently located and the parking is a bit of a hassle but it was the same for all properties on the main street. Shower was good, but they skimped on hangers by only leaving 2 hangers to use for hanging garments. Carpets are way overdue to be replaced in the guest rooms.

Bismarck
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Have an annual trip to Deadwood and have stayed at the Bullock the last three years. Rooms are roomy but if you can opt for a corner room since you won't have a long hall way to the bed. Stayed on the 3rd floor so you were dependent on a fairly slow elevator becuase the stairs are more like 4-5 stories because of the high cealings. The rooms are quiet and the staff helpfull. Parking is across the street but good easy in and out access. The hotel doesn't have a lot of amenities. Reataurant only open 7am-1pm but there are other places to eat.

Room Tip: Opt for a corner room. Layed out much better and not as cramped.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael B
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked this hotel as the price was right then I started to look at the hotel on Facebook and it looked really nice - then I arrived and WOW. We arrived at the back of the hotel and I went to reception were we were checked in. I was not sure were we could park the car so the lovely lady came out and showed my husband where to park - excellent touch. The car park is just across the road so we unloaded the luggage and the lovely lady brought us a trolley to place it all on for ease and the keys I had forgotten to pick up from the front desk. Then my husband drove the car across the road (parking s free you just place a tag in the window. We went up in the lift and entered the room Wow Wow very large (room 301). The room had 3 windows the bathroom is a good size also. As we had been traveling my husband had a sleep, so I ventured down to the Casino and played for an hour or so and was up $30 - started with $2. I was offered drinks every 10 mins!! You are also given vouchers for money off the restaurant, casino, gifts, bar etc. Excellent stay wish I could go every weekend - will be back

Room Tip: 301 was a great king size room
1 Thank TheScubaDuo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was a beautiful hotel. The room was clean and the staff were very nice and hospitable. The only drawback is the room only had a fan, no AC and it was warm that day...the breeze was nice once in a while and the windows would not stay up to allow the cool air to come in. We propped the windows open but it did not do any good. So we slept very uncomfortably in a warm room with the fan circulating the warm air. I understand that history and age of the hotel....that is why I wanted to stay there. But it is 2012 and you can now keep the history and dignity of the hotel allowing AC units to keep the customers comfortable and happy. Aside from the warm room, it was a beautiful hotel and the price was affordable.

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Our second stop on our South Dakota trip was for the Bullock Hotel the last 2 nights of August. Again, a period hotel, with lots of character. The room itself was huge, although the carpet definitely needed updating. I liked that the sink was big enough to have a vanity area if you pulled over the chair, and was outside of the bathroom itself. That is always helpful when you have 2 people getting ready in the morning. The staff was wonderful and very helpful with all our questions, and we enjoyed our Ghost tour with Miss Molly....thanks for deciding to go ahead and do the tour that weekend! Parking is not onsite, but is behind the building, across the road. This is actually rather handy, as you can then pull your car up to the little protected area by the back door for loading and unloading, rather than doing it on the busy street. Bully's Cafe had a very reasonable (and good) breakfast available, and the staff here was lots of fun. Bullock's is toward the end of the old town main strip, which keeps it quieter than further towards the middle, where you had a lot of foot traffic as the weekend approached. I think the only thing I could see being changed to make this a 5 dot rating would be cleaner/newer carpet in the room itself, and a smaller toilet. Our bathroom had the long oval toilet, and the door just missed it as it opened and closed. A small round toilet would fit better. But all in all I really enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mahsati
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This is such a gorgeous old hotel. Our room was at the end of the hall and was quite large. Most in our party were not that lucky. SO, be sure to ask for a large room when you call.

The restaurant has a wonderful breakfast ( not included) and the entire staff EVERYWHERE was so so nice.

The internet service is not good on the second floor - I did not ask the third floor guests but I presume theirs was no faster than ours.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger ones as there are only 25 rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lange1
Sadie S, Director of Sales at Bullock Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our historic hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon.