“Deadwood's Best Hotel, Period”
Review of Bullock Hotel

Bullock Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I recently visited Deadwood for the South Dakota Festival of Books. I am a writer and had several workshops to attend in town. This time, we stayed at the Franklin Hotel (because The Bullock was full) and it was a huge disappointment compared with my previous trips to Deadwood, where I stayed at The Bullock.

Since I love The Bullock so much, I thought I'd tell everyone why it's the best place to stay in Deadwood. First, the rooms retain historic integrity and Victorian charm WITHOUT sacrificing modern amenities. The rooms have all been renovated for the ultimate comfort of the traveler in mind (unlike the Franklin). The Bullock also has an amazing casino area which is calm, peaceful and relatively quiet unlike the other hotel casinos in Deadwood. The service and staff are fantastic, and Bully's (the restaurant) serves great quality food for affordable prices. The hotel's rich history is emphasized in old photographs throughout the hotel, as well as photographs and letters from others who have stayed at the hotel. The Ghost Tour on Fridays and Saturdays at 7 pays homage to Bullock's ghost who still supposedly haunts the hotel. It is a great tour!

The main reason I love this hotel is the clean, comfortable rooms. You will get a good night's sleep in a nice room while enjoying the historic charm of this old hotel.

Room Tip: Take the Ghost Tour on Friday or Saturday night at 7 to learn more about the hotel's rich histor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Molly A
Patricia B, Director of Sales at Bullock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

We appreciate your taking time to review the Bullock Hotel! It's unfortunate you didn't have the opportunity to stay with us this time around but hopefully we'll be able to accommodate you on your next trip to town!

Thank you!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

No haunts for us, but, boy was it ever fun to stay in this historic hotel! First off, it's a beautiful hotel from the staircase to the beautifully decorated and comfortable room. The service is just like from the days gone by. The same lovely lady (wish I'd gotten her name) who showed us the different rooms to pick from and told us about the hotel's history, waited on us in the hotel's restaurant, Bully' s, the next morning at breakfast. The restaurant/bar is beautiful to look at and the pictures and articles on the walls were very interesting. Amazing wall paper! The food smelled great when we walked in and was delicious! Why eat at Denny' s when for $7.00 you can have a fabulous breakfast with great atmosphere here? If you enjoy hotel's with history and charm and prefer them over your standard hotel, for the same amount of money, you can stay here and possibly have Seth Bullock as your guest for the night! I did smell his cigar!

Room Tip: We stayed in 203. A corner room with large lovely windows and a direct view to the spot where Wild...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Patricia B, Director of Sales at Bullock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Bullock! Bobbi was the gal who was so helpful and waited on you in the restaurant. She is a definite keeper here!

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again! Maybe ol' Seth will pay you a visit!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have been to Deadwood once before, but didn't stay at the Bullock. Once going through town, I told myself if I ever go back, I will stay at the Bullock because of its look of history and preservation and the stories I was told about being haunted. Well, I made that trip last week and took my new bride of 5 months, and we were not disappointed. Staff is friendly and helpful, walks through the hotel took you back in time, and YES, things DO happen. (at least in room 202, in fact, I had to go to the desk and tell of one experience). The new bride loved the town, so going back to Deadwood and staying at the Bullock are already in the works!! Thank you staff for such a good experience.

1  Thank 78edd

Thank you for your review and we are certainly glad to hear about your enjoyable experience here at the Bullock! We would love to hear more about your encounter-you can share your story on our facebook page if you would like!

We hope you make the Bullock your place to stay for all your future trips to Deadwood and congratulations on your recent wedding!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

What a great place to stay in Deadwood. The historic Bullock Hotel was so charming. Walking distance to everything. We stayed for 3 nights in June and enjoyed our stay very much. The entire staff was so welcoming, I felt like I was at home (without having to clean up after myself) :-) The casino downstairs was not at all noisy. The beds were very comfortable. The room was very clean. I would recommend the Bullock to any friend traveling to Deadwood. The only downside to the hotel is the parking lot. It is across the street from the hotel, so it's not very convenient. Other than that we really enjoyed being guests of this lovely hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kleeblee

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Bullock Hotel. We pride ourselves on giving the best overall experience and we're glad that our staff was able to do that for you!

Hopefully, you'll come back and see us next time you're in town! Bring your friends!

Thank you for the review! We appreciate it!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Have stayed at the Bullock multiple times and will again. Right in the middle of town, great access to food, shopping, and activities. We always park in the parking garage, though, and not in the Bullock parking lot because it is covered. Great staff. Nice rooms. We love this place!

Room Tip: Have never had an issue with any room in the place!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Bullock! We're very happy to hear that you make the Bullock your place to stay while you're in town and we certainly look forward to seeing you again on your next trip out!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Nice people, large rooms decorated in the turn of the century style; i.e., heavy drapes and bedspreads. Other than there being a casino in the lobby (as in all hotels in Deadwood, I think), I liked The Bullock. If I were to return, I'd probably go back to The Bullock. Unfortunately, we were there on a Monday and there are no ghost tours on Mondays. If you go on the weekend, might be fun to add.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Patricia B, Director of Sales at Bullock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

We appreciate your review! We have recently given the hotel rooms a fresh "facelift" while keeping the hotel in tact with it's original grandeur.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully you'll come back and see us next time you're in town!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

It was advertised as a haunted hotel but we had no problems. The hotel has a lot of history and is old but nice. We stayed in room 202 and it has all the old wood and an old dresser but the bathroom is all redone and very modern and the room was redone also and very nice. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant open at night but there are a lot around the hotel. The casino in the lobby isn't very good. Very very small and not a lot of gaming machines. There are plenty of other places around that have slots but their all really small. Bullock is a very old, really cool town. If you were going to stay very long it could get costly.

Room Tip: Not a place for families but a nice stay over hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed our fresh facelift on the room and hope you make the Bullock your place to stay next time you're in town!