“The fun of a vacation...the comforts of home”
Review of Bullock Hotel

Bullock Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“The fun of a vacation...the comforts of home”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Historic Bullock Hotel in Deadwood, SD, from May 4-9, 2014 and it made our whole vacation. Both of us are picky travelers and ALWAYS find something to complain about. Not at the Bullock. The decor was absolutely gorgeous and fitting with the theme of a historic hotel. The beds were very comfortable and the water pressure and temperatures were more than acceptable. The rooms were clean and the smell of floral potpourri was not overpowering but clean, fresh, and inviting. The lobby and public areas were clean and inviting as well. As if this wasn't enough to make our stay great, the staff was more than hospitable, offering assistance wherever they could, sometimes going above and beyond. My friend's birthday occurred during our stay and the staff went out of their way to make it a great day for her. Lucy, the general manager, runs a tight ship but still has time to step outside for conversation and the entire staff is pleasant and knowledgeable about the hotel itself as well as the city of Deadwood. During our stay we could tell that the staff took pride in their hotel and the jobs they do there. We will definitely be going back to Deadwood and our home away from home, the Historic Bullock Hotel.

Let me go a bit further and comment on the restaurant within the hotel, Bully's. John makes the best breakfast and we can highly recommend any item on the menu and some that are not such as the cowboy scramble. As you eat your wonderfully cooked and flavorful breakfast, you can enjoy the decor and learn a bit about the history of Deadwood. By the way, the fireplace in Bully's is fabulous with its beautiful tile work and ornate mantle.

All in all, the Historic Bullock Hotel played a big role in making this year's vacation one of the best ever. I highly recommend staying here for a hotel with homey comfort combined with the beauty an elegance of the late 19th and early 20th century. While you're there, maybe Seth Bullock himself will drop by to say hello!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JMarmaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I first visited Deadwood and the Bullock Hotel back in 1999. It was great back then. It had great history and a nice flow to it. The rooms were still designed in period times it was a great hotel back then. Because if that a large group of friends and family went and we decided to stay a night in the Bullock. It was not as remembered. They had redesigned the room and I guess they were trying to keep with the historical. However instead of it being retro, vintage, and quaint. It came across as cheap, rundown, and distateful. If it weren't for Seth Bullock and his ghost the hotel would be out of business. Which is a shame to see such a wonderful property with lots of potential being run this way. It's has a wonderful location and remarkable history. I feel like the owner is trying but doesn't know how to run a hote. It runs ok as an attraction for ghost tour but the HOTEL which is what it is Is not prospering in my opinion. Side note the breakfast in the restaurant was excellent.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank rovingnomad06
California Central Coast
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here for one night on a tour of the Black Hills. We had watched old Deadwood movies and the TV series before the trip and were ready for an historic hotel, not a chain. The Bullock did not disappoint us. Check-in was easy and friendly; in fact, when the desk clerk saw my military spouse id in my wallet, she gave us a discount without asking! We had a corner room on the third floor at the back of the hotel. It was huge, with two queen beds, comfortable chairs, and an enormous bathroom with large, thick towels. We had breakfast in the hotel that was very good and not expensive. We even tried the slot machines in the lobby and actually won a little. The hotel is on the main street and an easy walk to restaurants and shops. We loved the hotel and would stay here again.

Seth story: I had read about Seth and wanted to take the haunted hotel tour. Several members of the tour told their stories, such as leaving pills on a night stand that were moved to another location in the hotel room. My husband, a skeptic, went along but left part way through due to lack of interest. Until his own experience with Seth! He wears a medical alert on a neck chain that he takes off and leaves on a night stand when we go to bed. The next morning the chain had several large knots in it, and it took several minutes for him to untangle it. That had never happened before, and he spent the rest of the trip trying--unsuccessfully---to put the chain down and pick it up so that it would knot. Now he less of a skeptic although not totally convinced(!).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PalmSpringsVisitors
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were so excited to get a room at the Bullock on New Year's Eve. Until we got to the front desk. Only one person was working and we clearly interrupted her personal(?) phone call in order to check in. While waiting for her to finish up on the phone, we watched a guy walked back behind the counter and totally ignore us. When we finally recieved some service, the lady asked where we parked. We replied in the garage acrossed the street. We didn't know where else to park. She snached away a little white card which we gathered was supposed to be our hotel parking pass, saying "well I guess you won't need this then." We didn't even know there was free hotel parking or where it was located. And she didn't enlighten us. Of course, by then it would have cost us $2.00 just to get the car out of the garage. So we left it. Being New Years Eve, we asked about a late checkout. FYI Checkout is 11am and not the usual 12pm. They have a little brass sign on the front desk stating as much -- which we read several times while waiting for someone to help us. The lady was very nasty - stating "housekeeping has a lot to do tomorrow. No late checkouts." On New Years? Really? As we left for the elevator, she yelled after us "No late checkouts." I usually look kindly on old properties. I don't expect things to be perfect and usually look upon little aged things with a warm and forgiving eye. But when there is poor service, the age of the property really stands out. Our room had a huge crack and what looked like a hole in the celing. The room was much smaller than we thought it would be. The carpet was frayed. One of the washclothes in the bathroom was stained and gross. We had planned to start our night with a drink at the bar and maybe a snack from the restaurant. But we were so turned off by the service, we didn't stay longer than it took to toss our suitcases on the bed. On our way out, we noticed there weren't many folks gambling at the Bullock. And no wonder. I suspect if their service on the casino floor is anything like the hotel front desk, you certainly don't feel like you or your money is valued very much. We went out on the town and had a fantastic new year. We will be going to Deadwood again. But we won't be staying at the Bullock.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Diana W
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 December 2013

In the interest of full disclosure: I do not believe in ghosts. But this place is haunted. Believe it.

Just to get this out of the way, I had heard that Seth Bullock died in the place, and I know that all establishments of a certain age entertain rumors of haunting. I have never before believed such things until the morning after the night I stayed here, having witnessed what my brother and I did. We had requested no special room and only looked up the legend after checking out to discover that we had slept in the actual room in which he is said to have passed on. That said, while mysterious and eerie, it was not an incident which caused fear or would otherwise cause me not to stay at this establishment in the future. In fact, I would readily request this room again; next time, I would pay better attention.

While it is a little hard to get past the whole “haunted” thing when evaluating the establishment, I have no negative feedback regarding this hotel. From the service of the staff, to the cleanliness, size, amenities, and location, everything is exactly as you would like it for a visit to Deadwood.

Very friendly front desk staff (thanks for giving us that particular room) and a casino barman who served and endured us until a late hour were highlights.

While an historic property, built in the late 1800s, it has been lovingly restored to maintain the feel of an old hotel, but with all of the modern conveniences. Very clean, roomy and quiet. Comfortable beds. Good-sized bathrooms with hot showers and plenty of water pressure. (But the lack of ventilation which allows steam to build up on the mirror makes it too easy for Bullock’s ghost. C’mon. I think he’d like a bit more of a challenge.)

So, you’re visiting Deadwood. You obviously enjoy history. Experience it. Don’t stay in a chain hotel. This place is photogenic, right on the strip, and close to the prime tourist destinations, such as the museum and Saloon No. 10. The cemetery is right up the hill.

The casino is small, but with plenty to keep you entertained until… well, whenever that was that they sent us up to our rooms. Be aware that things get quieter, in Deadwood in general, during the off-season, so there’s not as much “action” after Labor Day.

Parking located in the rear, across the street.

Room Tip: I won't give it away, because I fear that if you go looking for excitement, you will never find...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
19 Thank rwckennedy
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I had a small room - just for myself - and I loved it. It had character! (but also a flat-screen TV). I was on the 2nd floor and also had an issue with the heat, as did another writer. When I walked in the heat just hit me in the face. I turned it off completely. It was still warm throughout the night but tolerable. The wireless was quite efficient. Check-in and check-out personnel were friendly and helpful. Great location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BHMaggie
Pollock Pines
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Beautiful room, excellent staff (would not let us carry a bag!) Small, intimate hotel. We didn't use the casino but it was airy & roomy. We visited some others during our stay and this is the best for us. Hope to go back. Deadwood is a fun city!!.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bed room one of the top floors. Saw some 1 bed rooms and they were very small.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple