“Nice hotel, very low price”
Review of First Gold Hotel

First Gold Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
York, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel, very low price”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed one night here while passing through Deadwood. I could not believe how low the price was for our hotel room. Our room was not in the main building; it was up on the hill (I believe building #3). It was nice and quiet back there. The room was a little small, but very clean and decorated nicely. The hotel was about a 12 minute walk to historic downtown. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
jamestown,tn
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Tour guide on bus tour.The help was more then just accomadating to my group of 53.Clean carpet is a plus,good size rooms,comfortable beds.No complaints from any of my group.Small casino and tight slots.The only drawback was breakfast was in casino,we were in building 3 but if you rang 0 before you left your room the cart was waiting on you when you got to the door.Good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Spent May3-7 at the First Gold Hotel in Deadwood SD. We are very easy to please travellers, but The Gold really wasn't that "Golden". The room was very basic, older decor, no water pressure in the shower and not all that clean. Yes we didn't spend much time in our room but coming home to a clean room with a comfy bed makes a trip so much more fun. It's a different set up, there are two complexes to the hotel, we were in building 2 which is the first hotel you see when you arrive in Deadwood. Please note the Deadwood Shuttle does not pick up at this building. It's a good 10-12 minute walk to the beginning of downtown Deadwood. There is a very small gaming room in building #2 , when its open you can get soft drinks and tap beer. There are no vending machines so bring room snacks, make sure your snacks don't need refrigeration because there isn't one. All n all the hotel was below average, unless you are getting a dirt cheap deal I would pass on The First Gold!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank bubba64Canada
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was my first time in Deadwood, as I was in the process of moving west. The staff is friendly, the rooms are comfortable and decent sized. The TV had a good selection of channels, and the wi-fi service was good. The casino is ok, and I love the no smoking policy everywhere in South Dakota. The only drawback is that it's a bit of a walk to town unless you wait for the trolley or decide to drive down. Deadwood is a fun town, and First Gold is a fine place to stay at a decent price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank dwc151
Spencer, Iowa
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stay with First Gold with our package on a bus tour. The help has always been more then accomadating to us. I love Deadwood and all the places out there. I have been fortunate enough to be able to go about every 2 to 3 months.I do travel by myself so feeling safe walking or riding the trolly and going back and forth to the downtown area is very important to me.
Hotel rooms are very clean.The heating and air units are rather noisy at times but that is minor.
So far the building I have been in has not been noisy or have had loud hotel quests.The meals come with our package and they are buffett style and as a rule quite tasty.

Room Tip: Building two is my favorite,because I can see part of the town and Hills
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marjorie6467
The Black Hills, South Dakota
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in Deadwood for a food service show and stayed at this hotel. Our 1st impression was not good as Mary seemed bothered to have to check us in. If it had not been for another employee, " Cookie " we probably would have left and found different accomodations. The room was fine, a bit small, but who stays in the room while in Deadwood. Parking was excellent. Not the best location as the shuttle doesn't travel that far. I would do a little more research before staying again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We started staying at the First Gold a few years ago. I can't say enough about the great people and wonderful service! When playing in the casino, the bar staff are amazing and super friendly! I would recommend staying at First Gold to anyone! Clean rooms, great food, friendly staff...we always feel at home there! Thanks for another wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Rooms are always super clean!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gail A
Kim M, Marketing Director at First Gold Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
We are very glad to hear that you had a fun time in Deadwood and had a great experience at First Gold Hotel.
Thank You!