“Disappointed !”
Review of Celebrity Hotel

Celebrity Hotel
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have stayed at The Celebrity for the last several years the week prior to The Sturgis Rally and always stay in the same room, a king suite. The rooms are small for an average room, very small for a suite and they do not offer a mini refrigerator which we had suggested several times. We returned the last few years because the room faced Main Street and I loved the bathroom with it's large shower and jacuzzi tub. The room was priced higher than several other locations we had checked in Deadwood. Because of our recommendation we also had several friends book rooms at the hotel. We will never stay at The Celebrity again.

Parking has always been an issue though this year things got totally out of hand. There is a very small lot next to the hotel which we have always used to park the motorcycle. This year for the first time I was informed there was also a lot across the street also for use when guests stay at The Celebrity.

We went out for a day trip on our bike with another couple on their bike. When we returned one of the "supervisors" ran up to our motorcycle yelling that someone had moved his orange cones and we needed to tell them to move their bikes. We had no idea what he was talking about and told him we didn't know who those motorcycles belonged to. Perhaps this person assumed all Harley riders must be together! The man was very agitated and continued to rant about the motorcycles. There was room in the lot for our bikes where we had previously parked and we proceeded to do so. The "supervisor" actually approached my husband, charging toward him and getting within a few inches from his face after a heated exchange about these motorcyles we knew nothing about. I only wish I had my cell phone in my hand to videotape the exchange. My husband practiced extreme restraint in not reacting to such irrational behavior.

I went to my room called the front desk and asked to speak with Ken the manager. I was told he would be out until Monday and I spoke with another "supervisor". Parking was explained to be "first come first serve" I made several suggestions: why not give a parking pass like so many other hotels do? how about getting a license plate number of guests? I was told they do that but for the last several years no one has ever asked us for a license plate number. The response I got was someone isn't doing their job. I was shown my registration and it said "bike in lot" that was not in my handwriting and again we were never asked a vehicle description or license plate number. Maybe they need a lot attendant on the weekends.

Main Street in Deadwood in the summer can be busy. There is no doubt in my mind that people raise the chain and park in that lot even if they are not staying at the hotel. The little man who approached my husband apparently had a spot blocked off for a historical camaro from a movie they had coming in......the kicker? The car never showed up until late the next day!

No one ever apologized for the irrational and unprofessional behavior. When I told the supervisor I felt we could not stay there an additional 4 nights he said I was welcome to check out. I walked next door and booked a room and indeed checked out. The next day I again asked to speak with Ken the manager or the owner but was told no one was available.

The rooms are nice but also over priced which would be okay if the hotel had excellent customer service, it doesn't. They need some serious management help as well as customer service training.
I was happy to experience the above and beyond customer service of one of Celebrity's competitor's.
I also noticed they had vacancies the remainder of the week and their little lot was fairly empty!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Penny20132013
There are newer reviews for Celebrity Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel doesn't give a very favorable look from the street but very nice inside. The rooms were clean, well appointed and the staff was outstanding in every way. While the rooms were a bit small, they served our needs more than adequately. Do not let the street front fool you. The staff was helpful from the casino, the bar tenders, the cleaning folks, the registration desk, just all of them went out of their way to be helpful, courtious and pleasant all of the time that we were there. We stayed two nights in Deadwood and I'd go back to the Celebrity again. The hotel is centrally located so nearly everything is an easy walk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GeraldG503
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We chose this hotel b/c of the reviews seen on trip advisor and a fun one night stay in Deadwood to check out the city. I wasn't sure what to expect from the old time lobby but when we got in the room what an unexpected surprise! Very nice accommodations, comfy bed, nice bathroom, great service. I loved the roof top patio as a birds eye view to look down the main drag and people watch. The continental breakfast is something to be desired but everything else was great! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kbbitz
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. The casino does not serve mixed drinks and the continental breakfast was awful. Nice location to walk around town. Not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a liquor licence and can't serve mixed drinks.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We actually won a gift certificate at a fundraiser for this hotel. We live in a town close to Deadwood and decided to spend our anniversary there. It was great. The rooms are small but the attention to detail was amazing. It was immaculate, quiet, the linens were great, the decorating was upscale, the staff was wonderful... you get the idea! I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Deadwood.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lornell
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Over the last 17 years we've stayed a variety of places in Deadwood but we always come back here. And honestly, we've looked at other hotels of late but for the last ten years we have stayed exclusively here. The staff is helpful, personal and in general just awesome. They make you feel like you're at home only without the hassle of home. It is clean, clean, clean! It's got a wonderful main street location so everything is within walking distance. On Friday and Saturday nights they open up a couple of black jack tables and the dealers are just another reflection of how friendly and efficient this place is. I can't say enough good things about The Celebrity. Really!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Theonia
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We have been staying at the Celebrity Hotel in Deadwood for a number of years for our annual snowmobiling trip in Mid-February and the stay is always great. The hotel is always VERY CLEAN from the lobby and casino area to the rooms and the adjoining parking lot. Parking can be a problem in Deadwood so having their own adjoining parking lot is a plus. When we stay in the winter we have three couples with trucks and snowmobile trailers and they also have a parking lot across the street on the back side of the hotel which is just a short walk to the Hotel.When we arrive our rooms are always ready to check in to and the housekeeping staff is always very helpful to any of our needs. The rest of the staff always knows us by our first names year after year and take very good care of us. They have a very nice beer and wine bar in the hotel which is great for a wind down beverage after a day snowmobiling. They also have an outside deck on the second floor of the hotel that faces main street which is very nice in the summer to watch many of Deadwood's street events and parades that they have.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends