“Great Location”
Review of Celebrity Hotel

Celebrity Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 16 October 2006

There was no facility to make a reservation online, so we made all the arrangements by telephone. We didn't know that our choice, the Governor's Suite, is not non-smoking but we really wanted it, so the management arranged for a deep clean. We were impressed by the results - no discernable trace of cigarette smoke on our arrival.

The suite was spacious, spotlessly clean, comfortable and ideally situated on the front of the hotel, with access to the sun deck between the hotel buildings. We had a great view over Main Street and the daily shoot-out. Car parking is next to the hotel. If the car park is full, the hotel has an arrangement with the parking garage across the road. The staff were friendly and informal, and made us feel at home.

Our room rate included breakfast, but it was simply coffee, cereal and toast. We appreciated the thought (the Celebrity doesn't really have the facilities for anything more) and it was enough to get us on our way, but after the first morning we walked up Main Street to one of the other hotels for a hot buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mufty

Reviewed 8 October 2006

My parents and I stayed two nights in two non-smoking king rooms. (room numbers 216 and 217) for my mom's "75th birthday trip" I mentioned this occassion upon check-in and the desk clerk immediately picked up the phone and had a bottle of champagne sent to my mom and dad's room. My mother was quite pleased when she stepped into her room!

There is a wonderful outdoor patio on the 2nd floor overlooking Main Street that was a perfect place to escape the noise and hubbub of the casino and the smoke. Did I mention that it seemed that almost all the visitors to Deadwood seemed to smoke?? Our rooms was non-smoking but I am extremely sensitive to smoke and could still smell it, although my parents said they could not.

The airconditioning was a bit loud as it kicked on and off but it was nice to be able to control the temp. Very minor for me, but I always travel with earplugs and a very light sleeper might be bothered by this. The heavy fire doors blocked the noise of the casino below effectively.

The room was lovely, complete with a coffee maker and REAL ceramic coffee mugs and real glasses, nice soaps, shampoos and lotions, Housekeeping service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank Born2go
Reviewed 5 October 2006

We stayed in a newer "Luxury King" room at the celebrity and found it to be comfortable and quite nice. The bathroom was large with heated towels and a separate shower and tub. The staff at the hotel and the casino were pleasant and friendly. They had a free continental breakfast each morning. There is parking on site however they will pay for you to stay in the covered garage across the street. When we played in the casino, the staff was attentive and made sure that we had a drink (only wine and beer and nonalcoholic beverages). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marjay
Reviewed 1 October 2006

Don't be tempted to stay at a chain hotel, such as the Hampton, stay at this fabulous hotel. My parents and I stayed in a queen suite with a sleeper sofa. The room was huge, with a fridge and microwave. It had a large screen tv and fireplace (not wood burning, but still a nice touch). The location is perfect, right in the middle of Main street. There is no on site parking, but you can park right in front of the hotel while you check in and take your bags up to your room, then there is a public parking garage right across the street. They will stamp your parking ticket, so parking is free. This was my second trip to Deadwood, love this little town, last time I stayed at the Franklin, the Celebrity is about 1000 times better.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank jackieh8
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We stayed at the Celebrity for 2 nights in late July. It was a wonderful hotel, located right on Main Street. We were able to park our car in the lot right outside the hotel, for free. There were very nice soaps, lotions, shampoos, emergeny sewing kit, etc. in the room. The manager was very nice - never did catch his name - everytime he saw us he would ask about whatever activity we had just come back from, and he remembered what room number we were staying in - a nice personal touch. The heated towels were nice, but not really that big a deal in the middle of the summer. The room was large, clean and the beds were very comfortable. It was nice to be able to set the AC to a particular temperature, as opposed to just turning it on high or low cool (the same thing is true of the heat). It was, however, very noisy when it turned on. It didn't bother me at all, but it woke my husband up numerous times during the night. My only complaint was that the room smelled of smoke. At first I thought maybe the smoke was just stuck inside my nose from walking through the lobby (a lot of smokers in all of Deadwood), but I think it may have been coming in somehow through the AC vent. The included breakfast was ok - cereal, yogurt, muffins. They were out of the type of cereal and flavor yogurt that my daughters wanted, but we just asked the lady at the bar (you had to sit at the bar to eat breakfast, and yes, even at 7:30 am there were people sitting there drinking and smoking - it is a casino) and she was very helpful in getting us what we needed. Also the hot water for the tea was lukewarm at best, but she just poured us hot water from her kettle. There was no fruit out the 2nd morning, but I'm guessing that had we asked, some apples and bananas would have been put out. It happened to be the "Days of 76" while we were there, so it was a great plus for us to just hop on the trolley and go to the Rodeo. We sat right outside the hotel to catch the parade. In closing, I had been considering staying in Lead. Since it was the Days of 76, the prices in Deadwood were higher, but we took the advice of people on this board, and I am very glad we stayed at the Celebrity. The only reason I would give this a 4 star instead of the 5 star rating is because of the smoke smell in the room. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
10  Thank Hershey4
donnelsonauta, Owner at Celebrity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2006

We have smoking and non-smoking rooms and suites available.

Reviewed 15 July 2006

This hotel is great. The rooms are big and very comfortable. The staff was nice and helpful. The hotel has a perfect location--right in the heart in Deadwood. If you want to be in the middle of it all, stay here.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank 635MicheleM
Reviewed 2 July 2006

We booked our stay in advance through Black Hills Central Reservations. We thought we were getting a suite right at the Celebrity Hotel. Where we ended up was across the street at a sister property called the Mint, in a converted apartment. It was still nice, with 2 bedrooms, but not as nice as being in the main hotel. Did enjoy their casino, though and all the movie goodies. They even had a real celebrity staying there the first night we were there, Robert Patrick of the Terminator, and the Unit. Seemes like a nice guy. Had a great hamburger at the Tin Lizzie down the street. All in all a nice place to spend 3 summer days.

• Stayed: June 2006