“Dances with Cattle”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2013

On recent trip to SD, we spent a night in Deadwood. We had looked at Tripadvisor trying to decide where to eat. Was leaning towards a cheaper alternative and we said what the heck since I like Kevin Coster why not go to Jakes. There was a bar on 2nd floor and on 4th(?) was Jakes. The decor and just general furnishings of the restaurant were excellent. Service was great and thats saying a lot since our waitress was also handling other tables including a large table of businessmen consuming many bottles of wine. Sorry I don;t have her name but impressive. We were not terribly hungry but one of specials was a 14 oz ribeye so we paid the split charge and meal was excellent. The attention to the small things like palate cleansing between salad and main course was good.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I wanted to find a great meal in deadwood with an upscale flair for clients I was entertaining.The dining room's atmosphere is one of the best,the service was excellent.from wine to whiskey from shrimp to buffalo shank this guy knew what he was talking about.

We ordered the bacon wrapped shrimp which was divine.the three Entrees were Ribeye (bone in) buffalo Shank and I had the duck confit.
This was the best duck I have ever had.

The menu is limited which makes it easier to choose what to eat.the detail in the food was really nice as well.

Why eat here? I believe it is the best all around food experience in Deadwood and maybe other regions of South Dakota.perfect for business or even a dinner for two love birds.

Why Not? In comparison to 99% of the other restaurants here,it will cost you considerably more money?i believe this is a perfect example of you truly get what you pay for.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We revisited Jakes for our 20th Anniversary dinner after many years since we'd been there. While it is pricey, the ambience makes up for it for a special occasion. Our food was great. However, I am not sure what the going "price" for the waitress spilling a full glass of water on my lap..... One of our (ordered) appetizers was complimentary....but I was still wet! Unfortunately after it happened, her apparent embarrassment led her to be almost rude and ignore us. By the time we go again, perhaps I will have forgotten about this (ha!), but I will share my disappointment with others. Seems like a visit by a manager would have been in line as well.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I ordered a medium temped filet. The cut was nice, but thick. If you are not on point, it could present a problem. It was served mid-rare at best. It was taken back, and cooked again. Still mid-rare. Not impressed with the chef. Sorry.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Excellent food, excellent service, excellent atmosphere. Pricey but worth the expenditure if you like elegant dining in remote areas.