“Expected better”

SpringHill Suites Deadwood
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 3 September 2013

While there were some nice positives about this hotel, I certainly didn't come away overly satisfied. For the amount of excellent reviews and great modern amenities with the rooms and everything, it wasn't a great stay. Upon our arrival at the hotel I became immediately frustrated. The parking/valet attendant was not even aware we were there so we had to go find parking on our own. The front desk staff seemed complacent and not overly helpful. I wasn't even aware there was a parking fee upon reserving this hotel, which would have been helpful to know beforehand. There was just a lot about the hotel that lacked common sense. From the staff to the little touches in the rooms. It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like about the hotel but I think it was just one little thing after another that bothered me. Even the pillows were terrible. However, after saying all of that, the breakfast was excellent and the pool was great. Overall, I would probably stay here again given the other options in Deadwood but I would lower my expectations a lot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TonyGee1414
SpringHill G, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Deadwood, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Derek R,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your stay at our hotel. I took the time to read all of your reviews during your Black Hills Adventure. It looks like the positives outway the negatives and I hope that means you will visit us again. My apologies for missing the mark on making this a great stay for you. If you would like to discuss your stay with us I would love to hear any feedback you may have. As a new hotel we absolutley have room to improve and get better with each guest experience. I hoope to get the opportunity to discuss this with you soon.

Thank you for choosing SpringHill Suites for your stay and so glad you enjoyed the breakfast and pool area!!

Deborah Rumpel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

“By far the best casino.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013
I have been visiting Deadwood for about 5 years. I am an avid black jack player. Here is what makes Cadillac Jacks my favorite destination. 1). Friendly dealers who remember your name.
2). Dealers who help players who silently offer advise by who is at the table by slowing the pace or hesitating the delivery of cards to match the players speed and ability. 3). Dealers who go the extra mile to help players. For ex I lost a screw my glasses and I did not want to go Spearfish or Rapid City. So during the dealers break the called around to find a place I go locally to get an eye glass repair kit. 4) . All staff were gracious, polite and neat in appearance. 5). Even though I do not play slots, they seem to always have excitement happening with hot seats where slot players get free money to play slots. 6). The older hotel rooms which was built In about 2002 were recently remodeled and are nice, but the new addition of the Spring Hill suites are awesome. You will not find a better hotel anywhere in SD. So try to stay in the new addition if possible but if not you will not be disappointed in the older rooms. 7). Cocktail waitresses are very attentive and hardworking. I hardly ever wait for a beer or my wife a strawberry margarita. 8). The Rock Bottom restaurant has excellent food. Especially the pizza and fries. 9). Valet parking is also nice. 10) . Downtown is just a few blocks away that is an easy walk and if you want, the city does have a shuttle bus that comes about every half hour. Just ask for times. 11). Oh my wife says don't forget the unbelievable pool and hot tub area. Hot tub can sit maybe 20 people and the pool is set up for laps as well as just goofing off. Also they have a handicap lift chair for the pool. 12) . They have a good fitness area and my wife will bring her work out clothes next time we go. 13) . Relax outside at the fire pit that is lit nightly. 14). Enjoy the free breakfast at the hotel for hotel guests. 15). SMOKE FREE at the tables because SD does not allow smoking so Cadillac Jacks built an enclosed smoking area without a door that is heated and air conditioned. 15). Lastly if you see the manager, Tim A. stop and let him know how you have been treated. His goal is to be the best and never be less than that. He is why Cadillac Jacks is the best casino around.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

The new hotel is extremely clean and stylish. The outside seating area was a nice touch for breakfast. The best part of the hotel is fabulous, friendly staff. This will definitely be a place we stay at in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank SDtrave

SDtrave,

Thank you. I am so glad to here you enjoyed our hotel and even more thrilled with your comments on the staff. Our staff truly loves our guests and its great when their efforts make a difference in someones stay. We look forward to your next visit and appreciate you choosing our hotel.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Only opened in June 2013. Far & away the best place we have stayed on our 3 week Mid Western USA road trip. Excellent value. Gym & pool a class above. Would go out of our way to recommend. Only problem we had was that we only stayed one night.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Narell211

Narell211,

We wish you could have stayed longer too!! Thank you for such a great review we enjoyed having you with us. We do hope you will come visit us again from across the pond.

Safe Travels!!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Kool Deadwood Nights. We had covered parking for our classic car at a time when parking is almost non-existent. Our room was fabulous. We really appreciate having a refrigerator. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. It was quiet even though the hotel was full. We especially enjoyed sitting outside for a drink. The bar was nice and convenient to being outside. All the staff were friendly and accommodating. Even came outside on the patio to ask about our stay. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Patty N

Patty,

Thank you for your recent stay with us over Kool Deadwood Nites. We appreciate our locals that come and have a mini-vacay with us. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to your visiting us again in the near future.

Have a great week!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at the new Springhill Suites at Cadillac Jacks. The suite was exquisite! It was beautifully designed and consequently there was a flow to the rooms that madethem feel even larger. Everything was spotlessly clean, modern and comfortable! We enjoyed eating eggs and sausage with all the trimmings for breakfast which was complimentary with the room. The staff knocked themselves out making us feel comfortable. Probably the most spectacular part of our stay was the swimming pool. Because the pool is cleaned with a filter system, they don't have to use all the chlorine. Consequently, swimming is a joy. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the parade of antique vehicles from the pool! It doesn't get much better than that!

1  Thank LaurieSue2013
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am almost hesitant to write the review, as I selfishly don't want the property to be at full capacity when I stay. However, I must comment as someone that stays in hotels 75 plus night a year, this is ranked in my top. First your greeted with an amazing friendly staff, secondly, once you go into the room it's fresh, clean and up to date. The location is perfect and we were during Rally week so it was a bit intense but found it refreshing to break away to our hotel. The breakfast was perfect and the pool was nice as well. If you're looking for a place to stay in or around that Area, you won't be sorry about selecting this top notch property. Thanks the staff for your effort to make our stay above and beyond.

Room Tip: i don't believe there is a bad room in the hotel