Iron Horse Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Deadwood Dick's(Deadwood)
View Hotel
Hickok's Hotel & Gaming(Deadwood)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Bullock Hotel(Deadwood)
Celebrity Hotel(Deadwood)
View Hotel
All reviewsceiling fanthanks mikefantastic visitgreat spot for breakfastold buildingwooden nickelcomfy beddingdowntown attractionstall ceilingsadams museumcharming hotelhuge windowswithin walking distanceweek stayother guestscorner roomwild bill days
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel over the Mickelson Marathon weekend. The lobby of the hotel is filled with slot machines and the check-in desk is actually in the lobby of the Martin and Mason Hotel that is directly connected. Once I figured that out check-in went well. The modern elevator, quite out of character with the rest of the building, brought me to my room on the third floor. The queen bedded room itself was small with the sink in the sleeping area but it was just me so it was adequate. Although I could have used more than 3 coathangers on the rack that doubled as a "closet". For two people it would have been tight. The decor was rather old and faux Victorian but again that didn't bother me. It was housekeeping that was not up to par. When I walked into the room I noticed a small piece of paper on the floor and when I checked out after 5 nights it was still there. Everyday it was a gamble as to which towels would not be replaced and eventually I had to go downstairs and and get them myself. Another couple of days the waste basket was not emptied. But, other than housekeeping it is an OK place to stay. The location couldn't be better being right downtown and near restaurants and shops. The complimentary parking in the adjacent lot is tight at busy times but I always was able to find a spot. Lee Street Station Cafe off the lobby of the Martin and Mason Hotel is a great spot for breakfast. The bathroom was quite modern and kept clean. If you can handle a small room and spotty housekeeping, this hotel offers a good value in downtown Deadwood.

Room Tip: If there is more than one person in your party make sure and get one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi Robert, thank you for being our guest. I am disappointed to learn of the insufficient housekeeping that you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on our clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price in Downtown Deadwood. That said, we bring in extra housekeeping staff for our busy summer season, and I will again review with them our housekeeping standards. Thank you for the "heads up" and I assure you that I will personally address the issue. I apologize to you for our oversight.

Our hotel was built in 1898 as a horse feed store and offices. In the late 1990's it was converted to the present hotel use, so our nineteen rooms are of varying sizes. Should you return for next year's Deadwood Marathon, please contact me directly and I will get you into a larger room.

I am grateful for your business, and hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at the Iron Horse after a concert in Deadwood. The hotel is an historic building in Deadwood across the street from the depot. It is in the same building as the Mason Hotel and the first floor of both is casino and diner. The rooms are small and not well lit but well taken care of and comfortable. The bathroom is modern and very nice with the sink in the sleeping area. For a historic building from this age period it is in very good shape and was a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for being our guest in Deadwood. A number of our guests comment that our location is convenient for concerts held at the Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center. We are the closest hotel to the venue, an easy walk from your room to the concert. Our 19 rooms vary in size, as our property was converted from another use to it's current "boutique hotel" use in the late 1990's. We will try to get you into one of our larger rooms next trip! I will pass along your compliment of the room care and cleanliness to our staff. We try very hard to keep our property in good repair so that our guests can focus on their planned activities while in Deadwood. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We were visiting Deadwood with friends and really enjoyed our stay. Was able to have champagne waiting in our rooms for us. Could not have asked for a beeter location to all the casinos and shops. Has a great little cafe on site that serves a very good breakfast. The personal was very nice and very helpful. Room is a little older but left me with feeling like I was in an ol'time saloon room. Room smelled a little musty but seemed to add to the whole theme. Other then just a little updating the place was great and definately suggest you stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer C
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for being our guest! Many of our guests like our one block walk to the Main Street shopping and action, but enjoy our quiet sleeping conditions when they are ready to retire for the evening. We have one of the top rated breakfast venues in town, and I will pass on your compliment to our staff. We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Just like to say a big thank you to Mike for looking after 8 Kiwi's on a bike tour.
Loved the complimentary BBQ corn on the cob and the 3 rounds of beer on arrival.
Very nice clean stylish rooms, great street view and close to all the action, attractions and beautiful scenery.
The best breakfast in Deadwood at the bottom floor cafe.
After just completing a round the would trip I can honestly say you we're the best host we had Mike!
We were out having dinner at another hotel and some complementary drinks appear and guess who is sitting over the other side of the room, Mike! Looked after us even when we were not in his Hotel.
Really enjoyed hearing Mikes take on the history and economics of the area.
I hope to revisit the Iron Horse deadwood some day soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James R
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

It was truly a pleasure to host the New Zeland group at our hotel late this summer. It never ceases to amaze me how similar we all are, even living half a world apart. Thank you for your kind words, and we hope to host you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great room with a great view in the heart of Deadwood. Even though this is a recently renovated hotel the history of the town laid out in front of our room. The Lee Street Station restaurant is attached and offers a wide variety of great food items. The best thing about staying at the Iron Horse is the attentive staff and outstanding location, right in the middle of things. We stayed at the Iron Horse and didn't have to move our car all weekend.

It was outstanding. We will go back and stay at the Iron Horse if we can get reservations. Simply superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, the view is fantastic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

I will pass along your compliments to our staff, as I consider their guest service to be "top shelf." Our free parking lot adjacent to our building offers guests the option to park and explore Deadwood on foot. We are glad you found this to be convenient, and hope to see you again soon.