“Terrific Taste of Deadwood!!”
Review of Iron Horse Inn

Iron Horse Inn
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Henderson, Nevada
“Terrific Taste of Deadwood!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed at the Iron Horse for two nights in May. Greeted at the front desk by friendly staff. Room was clean, roomy, comfortable and quiet. Lots of ambience and a perfect location. The casino downstairs was fun. We walked to other casinos, restaurants, museum, everything was close by. Called for some extra towels, staff was on it in less than 2 minutes. Nice to stay in a place that remembers what "service" is supposed to mean. Great location, great staff, great rates. We will be back!

Dan B

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan89052
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words.

When visiting historic Deadwood, many of our guests enjoy staying in our historic hotel. Our building was constructed in 1896 and converted to it's present hotel use in the late 1990's. I am delighted that your experience was a good one, and I hope that we exceeded your expectations.

I will pass along your compliments surrounding your room and service to our staff. They work very hard to try to make our guest stays enjoyable and memorable. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We wanted to stay in an historic hotel in Deadwood, and given the reviews on TripAdvisor, we thought this would be the perfect place. It's in a central location and definitely gives off an 'old West' vibe. However, it definitely doesn't give you your money's worth. The room we booked was $145/night, and after we waded through the morass that was the casino on the first floor, we walked into a room that was extremely dark, had a pull-out couch mattress on the bed, smelled damp, and that hadn't been re-finished since the 1980s (despite a renovation campaigned advertised by the hotel). The walls were also paper thin - all in all not a place you want to stay after a long drive, and definitely not a place you want to pay almost $150/night to stay in.

The Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn (where we ended up staying) offer cheaper rooms that are much better appointed and much more comfortable, even if you do have to give up a little history. I will say that the staff did kindly refund our money for the room, but I would not recommend this one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ayla A
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for trying our historic hotel. Boutique hotels like ours are not for everyone, and I am glad you were more comfortable in the Holiday Inn.

For the record, we do have a casino on our main floor, and most of our guests enjoy that experience. All of our matresses are of the modern "pillow top" variety, but I am sorry that you didn't find it comfortable. Our hotel was completely remodeled in the late 1990's, and we continue to make improvements to our facility each year as time and money permits.

We are typically $40-$50 per night less expensive than the other hotels that you mentioned, and we are much less expensive than any other downtown hotel. We try to offer all of our guests a clean, comfortable room, in a good location, at a fair price.

I am glad that our staff cared for your interest in refunding your money, and I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay in Deadwood.
Edinburgh,UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in an excellent location just a few minutes walk from downtown. The room was clean and staff were helpful. However the bed was very small, the window blinds let in a lot of light and the bathroom suite would benefit from an upgrade. Adequate for a one night stay but probably not longer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for being our guest, and your compliments surrounding our friendly staff and room cleanliness. I will pass it on to my people.

Our building was originally constructed as a livestock supply store in 1896, and converted to it's present hotel use in the late 1990's. Therefore, our 19 rooms vary in size. Please let me know should you come for another visit, and I will try to book you in a larger room.

I am grateful for your business, and glad that you enjoyed your time in Deadwood!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I hadn't planned on staying in Deadwood, but when we arrived there was so much to do that we decided to stay a night. I got on the TripAdvisor and booked a room at the Iron Horse.
What a nice staff, we arrived and our room wasn't cleaned but the staff got right on it. We dropped off our luggage and toured Deadwood. When we returned to the Hotel everything was taken care of.

Thanks to the staff for making us welcomed to Deadwood.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We are glad that you stayed the extra night with us to finish your Deadwood Experience! It is nice to hear that our staff cared for your needs and that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass along your compliments

Thank you for being our guest, and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I always wanted to stay in one of those old hotels. First night I stayed , I woke up and heard someone in the room and saw this figure by the door....took me a while to realize it was my husband who had gotten up to use the restroom. The hotel has a nice look and was convenient to all the shopping downtown and was right across from one of the Deadwood tour buses and the museum. The only drawbacks were that there was insufficient lighting. I had to move the lamp to the table and the chairs were a little rickety and old, but that's the way it was it was in the old west. The cleaning lady needs to remember that one face cloth is not enough for two people. That was easily fixed BOTH nights we stayed, but we had to ask for extras.The staff was friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Also,Could y'all please also find a way to put in a fridge and microwave? I really do miss that.

Room Tip: Great diner downstairs! The breakfast was great (thanks to the cook) and the lady who served us was...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janis N
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hi Janice, thank you for being our guest. Many of our guests echo your sentiments surrounding our convenient location, friendly staff, and cleanliness. I will pass along your compliments to our staff. (Although the "Creepy" headline caused me to pause!) :)

Some of our rooms do have microwaves and refrigerators, so please let our staff know at check-in that you would like a room with those features. Sorry about the shortage of face cloths in your room, but I am glad that our staff accommodated your needs. I will personally review with our new summer housekeepers our lofty room standards.

I hope to see you again soon. We are grateful for your business.
Gardiner, Maine
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel over the Mickelson Marathon weekend. The lobby of the hotel is filled with slot machines and the check-in desk is actually in the lobby of the Martin and Mason Hotel that is directly connected. Once I figured that out check-in went well. The modern elevator, quite out of character with the rest of the building, brought me to my room on the third floor. The queen bedded room itself was small with the sink in the sleeping area but it was just me so it was adequate. Although I could have used more than 3 coathangers on the rack that doubled as a "closet". For two people it would have been tight. The decor was rather old and faux Victorian but again that didn't bother me. It was housekeeping that was not up to par. When I walked into the room I noticed a small piece of paper on the floor and when I checked out after 5 nights it was still there. Everyday it was a gamble as to which towels would not be replaced and eventually I had to go downstairs and and get them myself. Another couple of days the waste basket was not emptied. But, other than housekeeping it is an OK place to stay. The location couldn't be better being right downtown and near restaurants and shops. The complimentary parking in the adjacent lot is tight at busy times but I always was able to find a spot. Lee Street Station Cafe off the lobby of the Martin and Mason Hotel is a great spot for breakfast. The bathroom was quite modern and kept clean. If you can handle a small room and spotty housekeeping, this hotel offers a good value in downtown Deadwood.

Room Tip: If there is more than one person in your party make sure and get one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hi Robert, thank you for being our guest. I am disappointed to learn of the insufficient housekeeping that you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on our clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price in Downtown Deadwood. That said, we bring in extra housekeeping staff for our busy summer season, and I will again review with them our housekeeping standards. Thank you for the "heads up" and I assure you that I will personally address the issue. I apologize to you for our oversight.

Our hotel was built in 1898 as a horse feed store and offices. In the late 1990's it was converted to the present hotel use, so our nineteen rooms are of varying sizes. Should you return for next year's Deadwood Marathon, please contact me directly and I will get you into a larger room.

I am grateful for your business, and hope to see you again next year.
Newcastle, Wyoming
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at the Iron Horse after a concert in Deadwood. The hotel is an historic building in Deadwood across the street from the depot. It is in the same building as the Mason Hotel and the first floor of both is casino and diner. The rooms are small and not well lit but well taken care of and comfortable. The bathroom is modern and very nice with the sink in the sleeping area. For a historic building from this age period it is in very good shape and was a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for being our guest in Deadwood. A number of our guests comment that our location is convenient for concerts held at the Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center. We are the closest hotel to the venue, an easy walk from your room to the concert. Our 19 rooms vary in size, as our property was converted from another use to it's current "boutique hotel" use in the late 1990's. We will try to get you into one of our larger rooms next trip! I will pass along your compliment of the room care and cleanliness to our staff. We try very hard to keep our property in good repair so that our guests can focus on their planned activities while in Deadwood. We hope to see you again soon!