“Great place to stay”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Very nice hotel. The clerk was friendly and very helpful. Rooms were clean and quiet. Nice deck on the second level. They have laundry facilities. The surrounding area is clean and safe. Ample parking. The trolley that runs through town makes a stop at this hotel and it is an easy way to get downtown. They don't have a free breakfast and the adjoining restaurant is nothing special. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Panhead64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Biel, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Over the last 3 years I stayed in this hotel out of convenience. It used to be better when I stayed here the first time in 2009. Now it decresed in cleaness and service - room wasn't made one day, bathroom not really clean... However the checkin staff was very friendly! If their pricing would be $20 less than asked for it would be a good deal. Their room definitely need remodeling! Bottomline - there are nicer places to stay in Deadwood, SD for the same amount of money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Spladi
BWHH_Hotel, General Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
I would like to apologize to you for the less the perfect expierence you had with us. It was a mistake on our part. I would like to offer you a discount on your next stay with us. Please contact Scott at 605.578.1611 and I will make sure everything is great for your next stay.
Once again I am terribly sorry about the oversight with your service.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I was in town visiting family and stayed here. The rooms are large and clean. The beds and pillows are amazing! The staff is very friendly and efficient. The restaurant has good food at great prices. The onsite parking and the trolley stop right in front makes getting to downtown Deadwood easy. I will be staying here again the next time I'm in town!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sfmomto3
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Couldn't sleep on first floor because of creaking noise from upstairs rooms.Went to the attached restaurant to have breakfast in the morning but was treated to extremely rude services. I went to the hotel office to complain about their service, however the hotel clerk was already on the phone with restaurant and immediately started defending the waitress rude behavior without listening to my experience. I was so upset about this experience that we will never patronize this hoter or restaurant again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jktinkerbell
Lynda_Duckett, Front Office Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
I am aware of the situation you had experienced here. I am aware the front desk clerk spent a few minutes with you trying to explain that the restuarant has a policy of not allowing substitutions on the menu. The staff was following the policies in place.
I do apologize that you feel you were treated rudely by both the hotel staff and the restaurant staff. We do not like to make our guests and customers feel they are unimportant or their comments are not important. Without your feedback we have no way of knowing where we can improve for an over all great experience with us.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I am 58 and have a 13 year old daughter. My wife died in January 2010 as a result of ALS. My daughter and I left Florida on a cross country trip on July 20, 2010. Our first stop was New Orleans. After that, we traveled up to St. Louis, Kansas City, MO and sort of followed the Lewis and Clark Trail up the Missouri River. We had a real nice stay at Badlands National Park. We drove through Sturgis (I have a Harley Davidson in Florida) and then went to Deadwood. We did not have reservations. We drove through Deadwood, past the Best Western and drove up to the Comfort Inn. They had a room, but, it is a multistory casino hotel and I don't like smoke or casinos. I called the Best Western and they had a room. We went back to the Best Western and Checked in. This is a fantastic hotel that is owned and run by a family. Their staff is so very nice. I saw the owner giving one of the staff members a big hug and it is obvious that there is a lot of great Karma at this hotel. Our room was very nice and very clean. The shower head was fantastic. We had dinner at their restaurant and had Thea as our waitress. Thea is young and relatively new to being a waitress, but, she was as good a waitress as I have ever been served by. The food was really good. We had intended on spending one night here, but, given the charm and hospitality, we stayed two nights. My car (a 1998 Volvo V90 with 130,000 miles) was shifting a bit weird, so, I asked the hotel staff if there was a local mechanic that they would recommend. They said all the locals go to see Pat at Southside Service. I took my car over to Pat and he changed the transmission fluid for me. My car is now shifting perfectly. The whole deal cost me under $80. Pat is as honest a mechanic as I have ever met.
The Hickock House Best Western is a fantastic place to stay. It is not as new as the Comfort Inn, however, I am so very glad we stayed at the Hickock House rather than the Comfort Inn. The local trolley stops right in front of their hotel and you see lots and lots of regulars checking in and eating in their restaurant. If we come back to Deadwood, we will definitely stay at the Hickock House Best Western. The staff are great, the food is great, the sheets are clean, they get HBO, they are local people and we had a wonderful stay. There is a beautiful border collie named Billy who is often laying out in front of the hotel. Billy is Jay's dog. Jay is the repair man/fixit man.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jschert
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Enjoyed this hotel. Small restaurant attached also small casino (won a liitle bit). Room was good size staff was very friendly and helpful. Located very close to downtown area.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
westland michigan
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Booked a room here in March through AAA for July to celebrate my daughters 40th birthday. After we stayed one night we found out that they WOULD NOT honor the price that was quota through AAA. We left the hotel and the town. Reserved a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room. Really spoiled a big event in my daughters life. Two thousand miles from home and on a Sunday we couldn't even get a hold of AAA to get help with this.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. CHOOSE A DIFFERENT PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed July 2009
Lynda D, Front Office Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this review, 24 October 2015
I know it has been several years since this review was submitted. I do feel that even with the amount of time that has passed it warrants a response.
I would first like to apologize for all the frustration that was caused by this incident. From time to time a booking agency may offer something to a guest but not express it to the hotel. I strongly recommend calling the hotel once it has been reserved just to confirm the details you have been given.
We were not able to adjust the rate to anything lower then our lowest available rate. We never want our guests disappointed, however, without any documentation. we can not offer a rate lower then we offer at that time.
We are terribly sorry that this ruined your celebration as we did apologize profusely and did reduce the rate but unfortunately was not able to meet the guest's expectations.
AAA never returned our calls about this guest either.