“an all around great place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Hickok House

BEST WESTERN Hickok House
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“an all around great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I came out to Deadwood in late Decemeber to do some riding up at Terry Peak, which wasn't very far at all from the motel. I found the employees in the hotel, restaurant, casino, and the housekeepers to be very friendly & helpful! The price of the room was great considering it was just me & a friend in town for a couple nights; $59.99 for two queens beds on a weekday night. The restaurant had some great food! Make sure you go when you're hungry because they give you some pretty big portions. If you feel like going downtown, Main St is maybe a half mile away if you want to walk it, or you can take the trolly there if you don't. I will definitely be staying here again the next time I come to town!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Syracuse, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

Stayed here while working in the area in mid Dec. Found all of the staff, from front desk, houskeeping, and management to be polite and very helpful. Had trouble with my truck and they all went out of their way to help. Will be staying with them when I return in Jan.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWHH_Hotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hickok House, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Hi Kevin, it was a pleasure having you here! I'm glad you made it home safely. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Safe travels,
Scott Roberts
Amarillo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

This was not a bad place to stay. Motel is older and starting to show it's age. Our bathroom floor seem to make you think you had vertigo with the slope. Stayed in room 204.
I paid more than I wanted but decision was a group so I stayed. 121.67 with tax and that was best available rate. Rooms overall were large and bed comfortable. I'm not a coffee drinker and would have liked some tea in the room. Went to the office and asked and they said they had no tea. The did offer free concert tickets to 38 special who was playing in town that night though.
Shuttle bus picks you up in parking lot for couple bucks and takes you downtown if you don't want to walk. It will also bring you back even late hours if you stay out.
Restaurant breakfast was great and employees were very friendly.

Room Tip: stay upstairs and to the north of the office and you will have a large outside seating area if you l...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Gaylord, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Last room to check into that night, due to Priceline policy we recieved the worst room. Room stunk of smoke, hotel stated they were full and couldn't do anything about it. Room was immediately off the parking lot, next to the office. There was noise from foot traffic, car traffic/starting and loud conversations outside the room, so that it was impossible to sleep past 6 am. Really annoying after a late night on the town. And the room itself had a air A/C system that sounded like a little kid banging on a steel kettle all night long. I should have saved my money and slept on the sidewalk and paid a bum to bang a steel kettle all night long. At least it would not have that smoke smell.

Staff was generally rude as well and when pressed for answers, claimed it was a long day and gave vague answers. Worst of the worst in Deadwood, beware!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Guest55334
BWHH_Hotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hickok House, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
I'm sorry that you didn't receive the service that you expected. When I spoke with you the first time, I was under the impression that you were mad at your husband for dead-bolting you out of the room for hours. I did ask you if there was anything that we could do and you yelled, "NO!" as you were walking to your car to leave him. It is possible that you felt we were rude when we asked that you and your husband to leave the women's restroom in our casino, as we had ladies waiting to use it, I appologize for that. Please feel free to contact me directly at (605) 578-1611. We appreciate all opportunities to better our property!
Mitchell, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I went to book a hotel only a week out & with needing 3 rooms there was little available in the Deadwood area, which was probably due to the Deadwood Jam that was going on & the last minute booking for our family getaway. After searching many websites I landed rooms at the Hickok House for the night needed & although I thought it rather pricey I did understand it was last minute & like everywhere else as the rooms get more scarce the price does escalate. Having been to Deadwood many times over the years we have a couple of favorite places to stay all of which were unavailable for this time. I did know where this hotel was located & that it was an older property but had never been on the premisis. We were pleasantly surprised at what a great place this turned out to be! Our rooms were large with wonderful beds & pillows & awesome shower & VERY, VERY clean. We were on the 2nd level & there is a large open balcony with 2 chairs in front of every room where you can just sit & look at the mountian covered with pine trees-very beautiful & peaceful even with the highway running nearby. There also are a couple of 2nd level open patios with tables if one would want to have a little gathering which would be fun. It is right on the trolley line but this time we didn't use it. The staff was very friendly & courteous at both check in & out, in the casio & our breakfast experince was the BEST! We had a super-waitress who served a table of 8 without writing one note during the order & not missing a beat when she served the good stuff up! Oh, & the candle on the cinnamon roll made for the best birthday cake! It was nice having the resturant on site (& it was very good) as there really aren't any great breakfast places in the downtown area to our knowledge. Anyway, we all enjoyed the facility & have already decided that when we do our next Deadwood getaway we will be checking availability at the Hickok House as it so exceeded our expectations & we loved the whole experience!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BWHH_Hotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hickok House, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! It was nice speaking with you at check out. We strive to make every guests experience great, and we love hearing when we accomplish our goals. We hope to see you again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Booked the hotel for a trip in late July 2012. Arrived on a day Merle Haggerd was playing in the town, so maybe this was not representative of a normal day. One can only hope so. Arrived after a long drive and checked in at Reception. The receptionist told me that there was a staged gunfight downtown starting in half an hour. "Great !", I thought - I'll rush down there to catch it. Jogged down in drizzle only to find that the staged gunfight had already ended an hour ago. Given that this is a regular event in Deadwood (I think daily), you would hope the Receptionist would have enough knowledge not to send people off on a fools errand. Oh, and the Trial of Jack McCall isn't immediately afterwards, it's an hour later. It might be a good idea to get a copy of the scheduled events and display it in reception. They have posters of such down in the town itself. Walked back in the rain, went to get something to eat, and then back to the room to dry off.

I'm not sure what number room I got, but it was the corner one, which seemed to have been converted from a large single room into two smaller ones. You reach it by an external door, which opens inwards, subsequently blocking the door you need, so you have to get your luggage into the small passage, and close the external door before you can open the internal one to your own room. The hotel had no vacancies (Merle !!), so I did not bother asking for a new room.

Went out again and drove down into the town for a bit of sightseeing. The town is pretty small and with a country star in town, there wasn't much space to park, but I managed to get in a parking lot and walked around a bit. Drove back to the hotel to find that all the parking spaces were full so the "We need your Tag number so the locals can't park and take up your space" clearly wasn't being enforced, as I had to drive up and down the road three times before I could get in.

The room itself seemed dark and dated. The carpet was dark (I don't think through pattern) and the A/C unit looked old and stained. It did not run quietly and so (in that room at least) you either have to put up with the heat or the noise.

Got up next morning and went down to reception. You don't get a complimentary breakfast but you can pay about $20 + tax for two people for one from the menu. Now, it is a step away from the generic meal you get at some chains, but that's a lot of egg McMuffins for the price.

Deadwood itself is kind of dirty (I compare it to Bourbon Street in New Orleans) so you might want to try Keystone or Spearfish and drive into Deadwood instead.

Not including the breakfast, I paid $125 (including tax) for one night at this hotel, which seemed very poor value for money. I certainly wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get the ground floor room closest to the Casino, since it is very small.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Etranger000
Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here in July. Pros: walking distance to downtown, clean and friendly. We had breakfast at the cafe one morning and it was MUCH better than the breakfast we had downtown the next day. The breakfast burrito was excellent and my bf enjoyed his ham steak immensely.
Cons: it was a bit pricey for a fairly average hotel, but then again this is a super touristy spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple