“Nice Stay for the Price”

Deadwood Station Bunkhouse & Gambling Hall
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Nice Stay for the Price”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I and another couple stayed here for two nights while we were in town to see a show. We did have to wait quite a while to check-in - as in we were standing there and the receptionist was on the phone, which was fine, but it was like we didn't even exist...I thought a "I'll be right with you." or acknowledging we were standing at the counter would have been nice. Anyway, that wasn't a big deal. The rooms were very quiet and the beds very comfortable. I liked that the rooms were further back from the road. The trolley stops at this hotel every hour and for a dollar will take you to any of many stops in Deadwood. It was nice to be able to buy some wine on site and drink it in the room. We did have some drinks at the bar on site as well and had a good time. There is a nice covered patio outside as well where you can take your drinks. We also enjoyed sitting outside of our hotel rooms on the covered sidewalk in front of our rooms in the outside chairs in front of our rooms. My only issue was that checkout is at 11 AM and at 10:00 AM we had gone over to the lobby/restaurant/casino to get some coffee. Our cars were still parked in front of our rooms and we hadn't yet turned in our keys. Anyway, my husband went back to our room at about 10:20 AM to grab the rest of our things so we could checkout and housekeeping (3 younger females) was in our room when he got there doling out our bottles of wine and other things in the fridge. They did seem embarrassed when he walked in and gladly handed what was rightfully ours to him. I just don't understand why they were in there at 10:20 AM when checkout is at 11 AM and we hadn't checked-out and our cars were still parked in front of our rooms. That really did bother me. Other than that one thing, I did enjoy my stay. For the price I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sdgal46

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The motel is a great place to stay in Deadwood. We were pleasantly surprised by the room! It looks like the motel has had a very recent remodel. The room had brand new carpet, furniture, a nice flat screen tv, small refrigerator, and small microwave. There was free wifi and easy to use. We spent the majority of our time in town so we weren't looking for a lot of extra amenities. We came in on a Friday evening and left on Sunday so the price of the room was the best in town at only $82 for the weekend. There wasn't a coffee maker in the room but a really nice coffee shop and restaurant on the premises. There are also a few slot machines in the main building. The trolley stops right in front every 30 minutes and for $1 it makes it very convenient to head to town and have fun!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 111 which was tucked back in a hallway on the bottom floor. There was only one roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Small hotel but very clean. The hotel and restaurant have been remodeled. This is a family owned business and they are wonderful people! They make you feel at home which to me is very important. The hotel is the first one in about a mile and a half trail of motels and the trolley stops every hour to take you to town. Very convenient and personal. I love it!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Moonrapsody
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have stayed there every spring for the last five years when it was the Bullock Express. The rates are great and the place is pet friendly as we travel with two little dogs.We found the place clean and plenty of hot water. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the make a person feel welcome. The rooms have coffee makers and who cares if there are no hair blowers, bring your own.We stopped in there this summer too see the remodling and found it all very nice. We will defently stay there this coming spring.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Terrycorey823
Waukee, Iowa
Reviewed 7 September 2013

It was OK with us. Stated it was newly remodeled. They were just putting the room #'s on the doors the night we stayed. VERY GOOD rates, and they were very friendly and nice. I had leg cramps that night from traveling, and had to run hot water on my legs about every hour. Believe me we I had tons of hot water. Nothing wrong with my room, and yes we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie R
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have been going to Deadwood for years and stayed in just about every hotel in town. We made a decision to go down during days of 76 and this hotel was offered at 95$ and claimed to be renovated. This used to be the old Bullock Express, just as you enter Deadwood on the right. The casino part is not done. They do have mostly friendly staff, however, are interns from other countries who do not know how to mix drinks and unfamiliar with wine. The rooms are smelly and horrible. We ran out of hot water without minutes and just couldn't believe how they claim to have newly renovated. They also do not have blow dryers or screens in the windows. Just reminded me if a roach motel. It's a place where you would stay if your only choice was that and out on the street. I would never stay here again. Hairy bathtub and just disgusting.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank teamveit18

Travellers are raving about these Deadwood hotels

Mohall, North Dakota
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We rolled into Deadwood late after a long drive from Jackson, WY. It's the town I hadn't booked a hotel ahead of time so there was no research done on my part. It was one of the first places to stay when we entered town, so my husband decided we would stay there. Big mistake! All I can say is that it was one of the cheaper hotels we stayed at on our vacation and you could tell. We walked to our second floor room and the floor leading there was plywood. We felt like we were going to fall through. The bathroom door in our room wouldn't close. The toilet felt like it wasn't bolted to the floor and I felt like I should've had a seatbelt on! My daughter took a shower that night and said she thought she was in a horror movie because the water was running red when she first turned on the water. At least she had hot water which we didn't when we showered in the morning, The curtains were mismatched and wouldn't stay closed. The pillows were huge and uncomfortable. And there wasn't a hair dryer. I called the front desk and there wasn't one there to borrow either. I took pictures and will try to post.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 218 unless you don't care if your bathroom door closes!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family