“Lovely accomodations & very yummy breakfast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Mountains To Prairies Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 8 Hill City B&B and Inns
Takoma Park, MD
“Lovely accomodations & very yummy breakfast!”
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Our family of four (2 adults & 2 kids) thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The accomodations were perfect for a family. The kids had fun staying in the loft and the adults had privacy. Our room was warm and inviting and included lots of extra touches that made are stay very comfortable. Breakfast not only filled our tummies with delicious food but the visual experience of discovering the antiques was satisfying as well. The B&B was perfectly located to experience all the Blackhills had to offer without too much backtracking.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
oklahoma
Reviewed 5 August 2008

This was our first experience at a B&B and we loved it. Sam and Linda made us feel welcome right away. They were very accomodating and made the whole experience wonderful.

We stayed three nights in the Chessie Lee's Peas Suite. It was like staying in a little house, all to ourselves. It was just my husband and myself and we had loads of room. The bed was cozy and the bath products were great. I can see where the accomodations are very family friendly.

The breakfasts were delicious and a fun atmosphere in the dining room. It was a great way to start off our day.

The property is very conveniently located to downtown Hill City, you can walk to everything.

If you are looking for a great place to stay in the Hills at an incredible value Mountains to Prairies is the place. I can't recommend it enough. I'd give it more stars if I could.

• Liked — I liked everything.
  • Disliked — I wished we'd booked a longer stay.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Took my 86 year old father and we had a wonderful time with Sam and Linda. Sam and Linda helped us with the sites around the area. Wonderful meals, and it is so nice to come in from a long day and enjoy the porch with a delicious latte that Linda or Sam had fixed. Also enjoyed buying homemade jams from the granddaughter and shopping in the antique shop. Sam and Linda made us feel right at home and part of the family. We have made new friends in this wonderful couple. It was very nice to walk by the ole train station in the afternoon and enjoy the deer grazing in the area. I will return to this bed and breakfast again.

Sandy Barden
Columbia, SC

• Liked — Cleaniness of the facility and the food was wonderful
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Beautiful room at convenient location. This B & B is also an Antique store and coffee shop during the day. The B &B rooms are separate,but breakfast is served in the Antique store. What fun. Delicious breakfasts and wonderful hosts Sam & Linda, who are very knowledgeable about the area.

• Liked — extremely comfortable
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Stayed at this lovely B&B a year ago when it was known as Smiling Bear. They have since added a room adjacent to the main house.

My wife and I were traveling with our then 12 y/o son and, having stayed in many B&Bs without our son, wanted to find a B&B in Hill City that could accommodate our son who wanted some semblance of privacy. Their website mentioned a loft for children and when I called to inquire about the loft's suitability for our son, Sam assured me he would love it. He was absolutely right.

The house is very homey. Sam and Linda made us feel welcome immediately upon our arrival and maintained a high level of hospitality during our 3 night stay. My wife and I were very comfortable in our room and, as mentioned, our son, loved his loft.

The breakfasts were superb. Linda makes her own preserves and baked goods. For you coffee lovers, they feature some outstanding brews.

We really enjoyed their spacious front porch, complete with rocking chairs and homemade beverages. It was a wonderful spot to relax and watch the world go by.

Can't say enough about Linda and Sam. They embody the spirit of B&B proprietors. They could not have been more hospitable.

• Liked — The owners, Sam and Linda, and their lovely house.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We took our 6, 7 and 8 year old kids to this wonderul B&B (our first time in a B&B) in Hill City, SD and we were not disappointed--we loved everything about it.

We had the pleasure of staying in both suites and both were comfortable and charming and a big hit with the kids. The master beds were soooo comfy.....we melted right into them at night. The kids loved the handmade wood lofts made just for them, it seemed, with plenty of toys for their use and a sweet little hand made wood table, just their size. My son said when he woke up in the "bear cave" (his bed beneath the loft) he was so comfortable he thought he was at home. The furnishings are quaint and charming but also durable enough to withstand our kids' energy. The rustic interior made me feel like I was on vacation--exactly what it should feel like, not something a hotel could ever provide.

Now on to breakfast--Sam and Linda, our hosts, were very gracious and accommodating. We ate at a table within the antiques shop and it felt like a step back in time. The food was absolutely delicious-- full, hearty meals to get us on our way. Fruit, omelettes, french toast with homemade bread, pancakes, sausage, bacon, ham and potato hash--you cannot get this kind of homecooking at a restaurant. I think they would have made us anything we requested. I wish I could have them cook for us at home.

The location was perfect--just steps away from the Main St of Hill City--shops, restaurants, dinosaur museum, the 1880s train--enough variety to please the entire family. We didn't need our car to do a full day of activities. The train took us to Keystone and back and we simply walked back to the B& B.

I am sold on B&Bs--and this was a wonderful introduction to them. You feel as though you're staying with friends--Sam and Linda welcomed us as if they had known us for years. Thank you Sam and Linda!

• Liked — Quaint, Charming, Comfortable, Delicious, Hosts were gracious
  • Disliked — Wish we could've stayed longer
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family