“Great food and people in a small town”

Desperados Cowboy Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Hill City
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Desperados is located in the heart of the small town of Hill City, SD. We were greeted and seated by Dan (owner) and immediately felt welcomed. It’s a small restaurant that serves local steaks and Buffalo and more all among a setting of local cowboy charm. If you go, notice the boot on the string by the front door. The staff was very attentive and the food was very good. They do serve beer and wine but no spirits. We will return and I would recommend them heartily to everyone.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We came in when they just opened, we were seated right away by the host. The waitress wouldn't come over to us, she was just standing there staring so I waved her over. I was starving and I'm hypoglycemic. She was very irritated at me for waving her over and the whole time barely waited on us. I had to ask her if she was going to take our order! She was so unfriendly I worried she would do something to our food but I was very hungry and had to eat something before I past out. The food wasn't that good and we asked for separate order tickets and when it came time to pay, they were all together! Very disappointed in this restaurant and it was not a fun experience, will not eat there again.

1  Thank T G
Reviewed 27 March 2014

i ate here for dinner after a long day of sightseeing at the mammoth site and crazy horse monument. this may seem like a new construction tourist trap but a plaque confirmed my suspicions that it was authentic, from the early 1900's. atmosphere therefore fantastic. service nice. i ordered a buffalo ribeye steak. whoa! better than any beef steak i ever had before! no visit to the black hills is complete without a visit to desperado's

2  Thank steakchef_11
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We came through town a week after Sturgis Week and on a Sunday. After we setup camp and we went looking for a quick bite to eat. We walked into the only other place that was open across the street, but we quickly left due to the lack of service or the cook not wanting to fire the grill up as it was almost closing time. Thankfully we chose to leave, because we would have never stumbled into Desperado's. What a cool little place with excellent service. As mentioned above the Buffalo burger was very tasty and perfectly cooked. You could tell the owner takes pride in his place.
So good we ate there the next night as well before leaving town.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We both had the buffalo burger (med rare) with kettle fries. It was properly cooked and very tasty. Our server was a nice guy who was very attentive and did a great job. Even though the restaurant was full and very busy, the atmosphere was still laid back and not very loud. Décor is western and super cool. Really enjoyed our dinner.

1  Thank cattoes