“Enjoyable Meal”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We picked this restaurant based on precious reviews. Service was friendly and quick. Meals were good. I had a chicken quesadilla. Son had a pulled pork sandwich, and my husband had a sandwich with fries. Food was made from scratch, atmosphere was nice. This restaurant is in a heritage building. I was a little surprised it wasn't busier considering this is a tourist town and we went right around noon. We would eat here again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We travel all over the world and this had to have been our worst dining experience ever. They were out of buffalo. They don't serve soup. They didn't have club soda (the have fountain soda). That was in the first two minutes we were there. My father was in the bathroom and the waitress came three times begging to take our drink order so I ordered for dad.

I read so much about the popovers that I asked for them. We got our salads but no popovers so I reminded her. This was honestly the only item we all liked. So much so, I asked for three more (one for each in our party). The waitress told us the "they hold them back for other tables as they are a long 20 minute process." She did say if another fresh batch became available she would bring us some. She didn't.

My chicken fried steak was so over seasoned and salty it was inedible. My smashed potatoes were cold. My broccoli was so undercooked I couldn't spear it with my fork. I sent the broccoli back to be heated and softened and it came back HOT and....just as hard. As a lifetime cook I simply can't figure that one out.

My father's steak was average and overcooked from what he ordered. His potatoes was also cold. My husband's ribs were DRY and had zero BBQ sauce (advertised as a BBQ ribs).

We told the waitress the meal was "ok" when asked and she said "just ok? Oh I'm sorry. I hope you'll try us again." And walked away! When she came with the check I told her our complaints and she just stared at me. I asked her to pass my comments to the manager and she said she would.

As we stood up to leave, the manager stood at the table next to is and said "someone wanted to see me?" When they all said no, he laughed "oh you haven't even gotten your food yet". I called him over.

He never introduced himself so I have no idea what his name is. I will point out his smarmy facial expressions and condescending tone was the last straw and if I could rate zero stars, I would.

His replies to my complaints ranged from "it's a few weeks to Bike Week and we're getting hammered and we're not prepared" to "the broccoli is flash cooked and should taste raw" to "your soda idea is a good one as we get asked a lot for club soda". He apologized for the over seasoned and cold items and offered us free dessert. We don't eat dessert.

The clincher was the popovers. He said we could have had more for .50 each. I would have paid that but we were not given the option. He said he would correct the waitress on this fact.

I can't recommend this establishment on any level. The Alpine was mobbed and we were hungry and hot and tired. Stay away at all costs until the owners and management fix continual complaints (many are repeats over and over).

When I pointed out the complaints on TripAdvisor he stated "well we get them in person too." Huh? There is even a TA sticker in the window RUN

1  Thank Beverly W
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had the bacon cheese burger and it was huge, very filling but the meat was a bit bland and could have used some seasoning.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

What an adorable little "cowboy chic" place in the heart of Hill City! Ate here with a group of 10 adults and had a great overall experience. They warned us ahead of time that the wait might be a bit long because the kitchen was backed up. It didn't even seem like much of a wait, but we were grateful for the heads up. The host was very friendly and gave us the history of the building and answered our questions about it as he sat us at our table. Grass-fed beef, gluten-free, and vegetarian options. Would go back if I could!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Had a party of 13, and the waiter did an awesome job and the food was absolutely awesome. This was the 2nd time I have eaten here and will come again.