“cancelled my reservation without notice”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Annecy, France
“cancelled my reservation without notice”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Quality Inn has a very exceptional policy of charging your credit card for the full amount of your stay one month prior to your arrival. Most hotels take a credit card to confirm the hotel and in some cases charge the card one night before arrival. Due to the Target security breach, my credit card was replaced. When the QI couldn't charge the card, they cancelled my reservation (which was originally made with a valid card) and did not notify me via phone, email or letter. They had previously contacted me by letter to explain their policy of charging full amounts one month before arrival but did not re-contact me re the cancellation. Consequently, when we arrived on 29 July at 9pm after a plane delay for an 8 day stay, we had no room and of course they were full. Luckily, the young man at the desk called around and found us a room at the Best Western. In my first review of this hotel, the manager replied that she had waited on us and that my husband had cancelled the reservation himself. Very strange in that I have no husband and the manager was not on duty the evening of 29 July. So my rating of this establishment has to be low.

Room Tip: no comment as my reservation was cancelled
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
KC B, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
I sincerely apologize for mixing your review up with another person's stay. As Trip Advisor does not show us names of guests or reservation numbers, I incorrectly assumed you were the lady I waited on that inadvertently cancelled her reservation with us, thinking she was cancelling a reservation in Spearfish, and consequently had no place to stay when she arrived at our hotel. I will definitely never make that mistake again.
Thank you for taking time to offer such detailed comments and for explaining so that this won't happen again in the future. I am uncertain of your reservation being cancelled without notice, as we made every attempt to contact even overseas travelers who booked during the Rally who's credit cards had an invalid expiration date on them. My only advice to others reading this review would be to always call the hotel when you have booked reservations so far in advance to validate the booking, and always give good contact information (other than just a mailing address) when making a reservation during a time like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally that is so booked.
I do sincerely apologize that you had this traumatic experience and hope that all your future endeavors are more successful.
KC B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent place to stay! We checked in on Tuesday night and out on a Sunday morning. The motel is clean, the desk staff was helpful and recommended several places to eat the first night. Breakfast was great each morning. Each day there were scrambled eggs, either bacon or sausage links on alternating days, biscuits and gravy, juices, coffee, cold cereal and milk, pastries, bread or english muffins, blueberry or plain waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and fresh fruit. There are also free papers each morning. The parking lot isn't huge but if your driving a larger SUV or pickup you should have already figured out you don't always get the closest parking spot. I don't mind trading a little inconvenience for traveling comfort. The pillows are fine, there are four per bed. Many places only have two. The beds were a little firm - if they were soft people would complain about that too. There was no fridge or microwave in the room, there is a microwave in the breakfast area that we used. We planned ahead a brought a cooler and just kept a block of ice in it. The gas station next door sells a block for $2.69. Much less than $50 + more for other places for a small fridge to keep beverages cool. We had no problems with noise, even with the entrance door and pool door right now outside our room. The motel location is about three blocks from downtown. We walked there each night instead of driving and enjoyed the time outdoors. We'd recommend this motel to anyone. Many of the poor reviews seem to be because the customer didn't ask questions when making reservations or simply not telling staff about a problem.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tctb
Lodi
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a very clean hotel with an excellent staff who will do anything to help make your stay comfortable. I had made a comment at check in that we would like a room overlooking the back of the hotel. The lady had assigned us a room overlooking the parking lot (we were early for check in so had to wait for the room which was fine). The manager heard my comment and changed our room to overlooking the back of the hotel, which we appreciated (the road is very busy and they are at the edge of Hill City). The hotel was extremely quiet minus the kids slamming the doors all night long (where are the parents???!!). Used the washer and dryer which was a deal @ $1.75 a load each. There wasn't a microwave or fridge in our room which was ok. The hotel is a bit older but kept exceptionally clean. They do have an outdoor deck that was nice to sit on at night. The hotel was convenient to Mount Rushmore, Needles Highway, etc. For bikers, they do allow parking under the front overhang and offer rags for cleaning the bikes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
KC B, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you so much for the review, as we use this information to improve our service to both you and future guests. We try to remain sensitive to the noise in the hotel at all times, but many times there are things that can go on (like slamming doors) that we are unaware of if the Front Desk is busy. Always feel free to call a Front Desk Attendant if you are experiencing noise that continues, as we always want to address this for everyone's benefit.
We are very glad that your overall experience reflects the level of service and quality of stay that we strive to attain with every guest. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We traveled here with our two boys. This is a very nice hotel with a great pool that our kids loved. The staff here was so friendly and helpful. They treated our kids like family, which is rare and above and beyond.

I checked everywhere in the area for a great hotel that would put us in a good location to see all of the sights and this was a great location, close to everything we wanted to see. The downtown in Hill City was my favorite all the surrounding towns. There are good restaurants and rock hunting very close by. Our kids loved the rock hunting, Mammoth sight dig and the "shoot out" in Deadwood and the Buffalo in Custer state park. My husband and I loved the beautiful drive through Spearfish canyon, the waterfalls, the Lakota performance at Mt. Rushmore and the people of South Dakota.

We highly recommend this hotel for your next stay to South Dakota.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 4bluebirds
KC B, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
What a pleasure to read such an excellent review and to know that our staff succeeded in helping you have the very best in service! We are also glad to know that you were able to take in so many of the attractions while vacationing here in the beautiful Black Hills...from Mt. Rushmore to Hot Springs and Deadwood to Spearfish! We are always excited to know that the decision to vacation in the Black Hills was so thoroughly enjoyed.
Please stay with us again, and allow us to serve you and your family in the future!
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stay in a lot of hotels in the Black Hills, Wyoming, and western Nebraska. This hotel is among my top 3 favorites to stay at. I love the layout. I love the breakfast in the mornings. Sitting out on the back porch, looking out over some of the Black Hills is surely one of my most favorite pleasures.

The room is always clean, well stocked, and inviting. Never an issue with the bathrooms. The staff always go the extra mile.

I thought about giving this place 4 stars because it is only open seasonally, but I have to give it 5 based on experience. I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. KC and her crew knock it out of the park every time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Harold E
KC B, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review of the Quality Inn-Hill City! It is always gratifying to know that we have been of service to our guests and that they leave our facility knowing how important and valued they are. Those who come year after year, like yourself, know that we are always looking for ways we can improve your experience. We look forward to seeing you again and giving that customer-appreciation-type of service that you have come to expect from us!
South Dakota
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I want to say that the staff and hotel are fabulous. We have stayed here several times and will many more. Clean, quiet and great location. Cannot say enough kind words about the staff and accommodations for our trailers as we love to ATV in the hills.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your recommendations here on Trip Advisor! Your time and opinion are so valuable to us and we are certainly glad to know that our staff is hitting the mark of "gold-award-winning" treatment of our guests!
We look forward to your stay each year...and for many to come!
Plymouth, Mn
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I liked the property, but the lack of refrigerator and microwave was disappointing.
Most rooms have these amenities and I look forward to a place to keep my snacks
and beverages cold. Otherwise I would have given the Quality Inn an excellent rating.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Your review is always very important to our decision making process and I have shared your comments regarding the need for more rooms with microwaves and fridges in them. While we do have rooms available with these amenities, they must have already been booked at the time of your reservation. I have passed along to our owner that we may need to add more of these room-types to our inventory.
We are glad you chose to stay with us and that the rest of your stay was pleasant and comfortable!
Again, Thank you!
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!