“Excellent place to eat!”

Prairie Berry Winery
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Hill City
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: Experience our award-winning wines in a fun and relaxed setting in the heart of the Black Hills. Find us three miles northwest of Hill City on Highway 385, just a few miles from Mount Rushmore National Memorial and Crazy Horse Memorial. We’re Hill City’s only working winery and Sandi Vojta, our fifth generation winemaker, handcrafts each wine, often using old family recipes, just a few steps from our Tasting Room. Start your Prairie Berry Winery experience with a free wine tasting of up to five of our award-winning wines, including our Anna Pesä handcrafted traditional European wines, at our Tasting Bars. We produce a variety of wines in styles for every palate – from crisp, dry wines and robust, oak-aged reds to sweet, fruity varieties. Our Kitchen offers housemade menu items including gluten-free, vegetarian and kids’ options. Menu selections pair perfectly with our wines, vary with the season and many of our ingredients are sourced locally. Enjoy a meal on our patio with our beautiful views of Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak). Our brewery, Miner Brewing Company, is located next door.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I love love love this place! It was like a food oasis in South Dakota where all the restaurants served either processed food or steak. My husband and I sampled their wine (you get 5 samples for free), but the food was outstanding. My husband had their opened avocado sandwich, and borscht soup. I gad the mixed greens with bacon, and avocado. My son had their tomato basil soup, and my daughter had the child sized cheese pizza. We all shared a generous portion go blueberry cheesecake. The ambiance of the winery was very California-ish, and the patio seating was pleasant. The staff were very nice and helpful. We wanted to cone back the second day, but we're too far away to backtrack. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank CheetosHu

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Red A** Rhubarb wine billboard caught my eye which made us stop. You have the option to choose 5 generous tastings for free. We were pleasantly surprised that the fruit wines were not so sweet (we prefer dry wine). The lady that did our wine pours was new but very pleasant and professional.

2  Thank JernSan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stopped here on our way back to Custer from Mount Rushmore/Rapid City. I haven't had fruit wines for many years. I have always found them too sweet. However, the wines here at Prairie Berry were quite tasty. I do not know much about fruit wines, but I can say I enjoyed them all. Too bad they don't ship to Nevada, as we're not sure if we'll ever pass this way again. They are worth a visit should you find yourself in the area.

2  Thank Scott P
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The food was very good, but the service wasn't. The lady that placed our order seemed annoyed that we were there. We are a happy go lucky family, but couldn't overlook the way we were treated as this establishment. If this were my restaurant I would look in to this a bit because the ambiance and the food were good, but we didn't go back because of the service.

1  Thank 4bluebirds
PrairieBerryWinery, Marketing at Prairie Berry Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Prairie Berry Winery. We are happy that you enjoyed your meal, but we are sorry that our service didn’t meet your expectations. We strive to provide outstanding customer service, and we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you would like, please email us at info@prairieberry.com. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped to taste the rhubarb wine and stayed for lunch. We just had to buy some bottles of their wine due to the names -- 3Rednecks, Phat Hogg, Pink Slip. But, many were not bad! As California wine snobs, we found a couple dry reds that we liked!

Lunch was a nice change from burgers. I had the soup and salad combo and my husband had half a corned beef grilled sandwich with soup.

Was not expecting such a nice winery in South Dakota!

1  Thank Susanleeco