“Great Place, Great People”

Lodge at Palmer Gulch
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“Great Place, Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

Our families just stayed at the lodge at Palmer Gulch. It's close to everything and the staff was great. You're away from the larger city but they have everything you need, pools, supplies, directions, you name it. We had a great time and would highly recommend you stay if in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Kansas City MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

Overall - we were satisfyed with the lodge. There was noone at the front desk after 10pm. It is a KOA campground also, lots of amenities. It was too cold to swim, but the pools looked great.

The Room.

It was very clean and the decor was woodsy. We had one of the rooms with a balcony - great view, we could see deer munching from our room.
I notified the front desk moments after being in our room that the fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling. She assured me that they would fix it the next day. It never was fixed.

The beds needed replacing badly. I'm glad there were only 3 of us, because one bed sunk so badly to the middle I could not sleep in the bed with my daughter. She had to sleep alone. The other was one it's way to join it's mate.

We spent alot of time out and about, and the lodge is very close to sights. Hill City and Keystone were very close and Rapid City about 25 mintues away.

Continential Breakfast was adequate. Your Typical muffins, pastries, cereals. It was nice to have.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

This lodge is the most convenient lodge or motel to Mt. Rushmore as it's just down the road towards Hill City, which has much less traffic than the road in the other direction towards Keystone. It's in front of a KOA campground, so it's easy to find. The lodge is well separated from the campground we had no noise from the campground.

The staff was very helpful and let me use their computer when the Wifi didn't work.

We had a one-bedroom suite, #320. The floor plan was peculiar. It worked for us, but might not for everyone, especially during hot or cold weather. From the hallway, you enter the bedroom which has a door to the bathroom and a door to the large living room and kitchen area. The bedroom has no windows and seems to have no heating, cooling or ventilation except for a large floor fan. This did not bother my companion who slept in the bedroom, but we were there in the late spring, not during hot or cold weather at other times of the year. At those times it would probably be necessary to keep the door between the bedroom and living area open at night and I do not know if enough heat or air-conditioned air would get into the bedroom even if the door were open. There is no access to the bathroom without going through the bedroom. The ordinary rooms are probably OK as to the heating and cooling issues.

The Ponderosa Restaurant is on the property. I will review it separately, but for now will tell you to avoid the green salad and the cooked vegetables. If you do that, it's a good place to eat.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Spring Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

We stayed one night on May 4th and arrived after 7pm and the front desk was "closed". GPS doesn't work very good in the area and we had a hard time finding the place and our calls were directed to their reservation service... we tried to get directions and they were unable to help.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

A friend and I on a girls' road trip in South Dakota stayed at the Lodge over Labor Day weekend 2008. It was the end destination for a very long day of driving and it was a welcome respite from the road. The approach is from a dark, windy street but the brightly lit sign made sure that we did not drive past it in the dark. It is affiliated with a KOA campground as well.

The lobby of the Lodge is small and filled with dead mounted animals. While the lobby gave me pause, the room was basic but serivceable and clean. My friend had booked us into a room with a balcony and I strongly suggest that if you stay here to get a patio or balcony. We were able to see so many stars, even with the lights of the campground. The room had two beds, a desk, an old TV, and a funky leatherlike chair and ottoman.

There is a restaurant on site, and the hotel serves a free breakfast, which had a decent selection. It is only a 15 minute drive from here to Mt. Rushmore. We saw that the hotel also offers all kinds of other amenities but we did not take advantage of any of them.

As basic as this place was, we did enjoy the atmosphere here and the closeness of the Mt. Rushmore area. I would be willing to stay here again if I was ever in the area.

• Liked — quiet location, good value
  • Disliked — the scary dead animals everywhere!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Rapid City, SD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2008

We are from Rapid City, SD----which is 30 minutes from Palmer Gulch. My family & I have used the Palmer Gulch KOA campground 2 or 3 times in the past few years & have been very pleased with the beautiful views, pool, fun for the kids. However, this year we opted to take advantage of the cabins that are affiliated with The Lodge at Palmer Gulch since we would be camping with other family members. I had numerous conversations with reservations at the Lodge to get a feel of the various cabins & their sizes and amenities. After finally making a reservation, I had asked many times if this was a "modern cabin" & the reservationist reassured me it was. Upon arriving----it was not quite what we had expected for $150/night. The cabin was sunk down in a valley with rocks for steps to the front door----not real great for small children or older folks. The fire grate was at the back of the cabin----10 feet from another camping spot & their fire grate. The property manager did come & put in a new fire grate in front of our cabin.
The cabin itself was far from what I would consider modern. The kitchen table was from the 70's & had four chairs---but there wasn't enough room for anyone to sit around it since the only spot for the table was in a nook. Also, instead of a light over the table--they had a large table lamp in the middle of it. Very tacky! The walls in the kitchen & living room were dirty. The small room off the kitchen w/bunkbeds was unacceptable---my kids refused to sleep in it. The bed was probably 30 years old as well as the bedding on the bed.
The bathroom was awful to say the least. The linoleum was in dire need of replacing.
However, the 2 larger bedrooms were very acceptable for sleeping, as well as the pull-out couch. We always look forward to spending time in our beautiful Black Hills, but unfortunately did not enjoy these accommodations and feel as though we were deceived.

• Liked — The fabulous views at the campground
  • Disliked — The cabin
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank stgoody

Travellers are raving about these Hill City hotels

Agoura Hills, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Lodge and campground. My parents stayed in their motorhome and my husband, daughter and I stayed in the lodge. We first had a "Row Cabin" #6. We got there late and did not really check out the room until we went to bed. The cabin was disgusting. It had missing knobs on drawers, dirty counters, stained carpet, stained mattresses and the floor in the bathroom was coming apart from the tub. I cant believe they actually charge $100 a night for it. It was small and basically not a cabin, but a room in a building far from the lodge. I have never stayed in such a dump!
Make sure if you stay at this property you do not get a Row Cabin. They are not worth it! I barely slept that night and we moved into the lodge the next morning. The lodge room was clean and definately nicer. Even the towels were nicer. It was also cheaper for the same size room, but did not have a fireplace. Big Deal!
The campground and facilities are great for families and we had a great time despite the bad room the first night. If I was to return, I would stay in a Lodge room or an executive cabin.

• Liked — family activites
  • Disliked — cabins from the lodge
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 12 in Hill City
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites

Been to Lodge at Palmer Gulch? Share your experiences!