“Devils Tower summit via Pseudo Weisner”

Sylvan Rocks Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't let you Black Hills vacation be boring. Go rock climbing with us! Adventures for ages 5+(with a participating adult). No experience needed. All rock climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota. Call for a reservation and we will meet you at Sylvan Lake for your guided rock climbing tour. Locations at Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower, WY for more experienced climbers. Please reserve as far in advance as possible so that we can best plan to serve you.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Sylvan Rocks climbing provided me with the most incredible guide for my trip to Devil's tower. Tony Schwartz was patient with me, even when I asked the same question 5 or 6 times because I was feeling anxious. He spent the first day at the Sylvan Lake area explaining exactly what we were going to be doing on the tower, showed me all of the anchor systems that he would be using, and taught me everything I needed to know in order to follow him safely up the tower.

In addition to being a great teacher, Tony was incredibly friendly and has a depth of character that shows great maturity and insight. He was very knowledgeable about the formations in both the Sylvan Lake area and around Devil's Tower. When we topped the tower, he took some time to show me around and explain what I was looking at in every direction. He had great stories about the history of the tower, and how it was formed.

When I was struggling with the crux pitch, Tony helped me stay calm and not get frustrated. He was supportive and encouraging . . . reminding me that it was "smash and grab" crack climbing . . . not graceful face climbing. He was not critical of my sloppy technique, nor did he become impatient with me . . . even though the climb must have been cake to him. His first-hand knowledge of the route was exceptional, and he was able to help me find holds from 100' above me.

Tony was excellent at rope management and keeping me safe while on the tower. I would finish a pitch shaking and exhausted, and Tony would already be working the ropes and getting ready for the next pitch. He would tell me where to sit or stand safely, and always made sure I was correctly anchored, tied in, and all the carabiners were correctly locked. He climbed each pitch effortlessly, and talked me through most of the opening moves. He took time to explain traverses and other moves that were tricky while he was climbing, and made sure I stayed on-route.

I have been working on this goal for 6 years, and I'm not sure I could have done it without Tony's calm demeanor, professionalism, and epic climbing abilities.

1  Thank Drew D

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My buddy and I have climbed a fair amout but with two days to climb our best choice was to hire a guide.
I was very impressed and very pleased with our experience. My first conversations with you on the phone impressed me that I had made the right call and the time we spent there exceeded our expectations. Our guide Cheyenne was great fun, clearly very knowledgeable and his selection of climbs were perfect choices for us. The check out climbs in the needles were a great event all on their own. Devils tower was definitely a "full on" event but we enjoyed every minute in a "type 2" fun way! Our choice of El Cracko was a perfect classic tower climb for us and I think fun for Cheyenne.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My son and I booked a day of rock climbing with Sylvan Rocks at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park. We spent the morning learning the basics with Michael -- a consummate professional and expert climber who had us climbing and rappelling in a matter of hours. In the afternoon, we climbed a 100+ foot spire, and rappelled down, with Michael's patient guidance and encouragement. As other reviewers have noted, at no point did I feel unsafe. In fact, Michael's focus on safety was evident in every action he took while we were climbing.

This was not a cheap day, but was the highlight of our trip to the Black Hills and was worth every penny. We spent the day with a really interesting guy who enthusiastically shared his love of climbing, and challenged ourselves physically and mentally. And we did it in one of the most beautiful spots in the entire country. Get out of the casino in Deadwood, or the lines at Mount Rushmore, and climb some rocks with Sylvan Rocks.

We often come through South Dakota on our way west. We have added rock climbing with Sylvan Rocks to our "must-do" activities in the Black Hills. See you guys next year!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned from a recent climbing vacation out at the needles. We had never been before so we decided to hire a guide. We don't regret it. The guide we had was named Chris. He was excellent, polite, knowledgeable, and at no time did I feel unsafe with him , even a top some of the taller rocks. If you're going to climb at the needles, beginner or pro and want a guide. I really suggest these guys!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just spent two days with Cheyenne Chaffee. Got everything I wanted and more. Cheyenne was a true professional - outstanding technical knowledge, uber safe in all aspects, personable, and a great coach. I am already planning to come back with my two sons and do it again!