“Great fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Discover Rock Climbing Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't let you Black Hills vacation be boring. Go rock climbing with us! Adventures for ages 5+(with a participating adult). No experience needed. All rock climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota. Call for a reservation and we will meet you at Sylvan Lake for your guided rock climbing tour. Locations at Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower, WY for more experienced climbers. Please reserve as far in advance as possible so that we can best plan to serve you.
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a great time climbing at Sylvan Lake. Very professional operation. Jeff did a great job working with and encouraging my kids. Thanks for the fun!

Omaha, Nebraska
“Devils Tower Climb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Sylvan Rocks guided us thru a two day adventure of a life time. We prepped the first day around Sylvan Lake, ending with a 3 pitch climb to the top of the Aquarium. The second day we climbed to the top of Devils Tower. Truly an Epic event for all of us involved. The business side of the trip was handled flawlessly. The guides (Cheyenne and Tony) are two amazing individuals and extraordinary climbers and guides. We highly recommend Sylvan Rocks Climbing and Guide services.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“The highlight of our trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

These guys were so good. We did the "Discover Climbing" package at the beautiful Sylvan Lake. Our guides couldn't have been more friendly, patient and encouraging. All of us - my wife and I, son (11) and daughter (9) - went from having no experience to climbing higher and more challenging rocks than we ever thought we could. We will do this again when we return to the Black Hills.

Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Devils Tower summit via Pseudo Weisner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Sylvan Rocks climbing provided me with the most incredible guide for my trip to Devil's tower. Tony Schwartz was patient with me, even when I asked the same question 5 or 6 times because I was feeling anxious. He spent the first day at the Sylvan Lake area explaining exactly what we were going to be doing on the tower, showed me all of the anchor systems that he would be using, and taught me everything I needed to know in order to follow him safely up the tower.

In addition to being a great teacher, Tony was incredibly friendly and has a depth of character that shows great maturity and insight. He was very knowledgeable about the formations in both the Sylvan Lake area and around Devil's Tower. When we topped the tower, he took some time to show me around and explain what I was looking at in every direction. He had great stories about the history of the tower, and how it was formed.

When I was struggling with the crux pitch, Tony helped me stay calm and not get frustrated. He was supportive and encouraging . . . reminding me that it was "smash and grab" crack climbing . . . not graceful face climbing. He was not critical of my sloppy technique, nor did he become impatient with me . . . even though the climb must have been cake to him. His first-hand knowledge of the route was exceptional, and he was able to help me find holds from 100' above me.

Tony was excellent at rope management and keeping me safe while on the tower. I would finish a pitch shaking and exhausted, and Tony would already be working the ropes and getting ready for the next pitch. He would tell me where to sit or stand safely, and always made sure I was correctly anchored, tied in, and all the carabiners were correctly locked. He climbed each pitch effortlessly, and talked me through most of the opening moves. He took time to explain traverses and other moves that were tricky while he was climbing, and made sure I stayed on-route.

I have been working on this goal for 6 years, and I'm not sure I could have done it without Tony's calm demeanor, professionalism, and epic climbing abilities.

1 Thank Drew D
“Best trip ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My buddy and I have climbed a fair amout but with two days to climb our best choice was to hire a guide.
I was very impressed and very pleased with our experience. My first conversations with you on the phone impressed me that I had made the right call and the time we spent there exceeded our expectations. Our guide Cheyenne was great fun, clearly very knowledgeable and his selection of climbs were perfect choices for us. The check out climbs in the needles were a great event all on their own. Devils tower was definitely a "full on" event but we enjoyed every minute in a "type 2" fun way! Our choice of El Cracko was a perfect classic tower climb for us and I think fun for Cheyenne.