“Nice Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ponderosa Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 28 Restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at one of the cabins at Palmer Gulch and thought we would have dinner here one of the nights. We thought it would be just an average resort style restaurant, but we were pleasantly surprised. First off...our waitress Abby was wonderful. Very pleasant and fun. We started off with the mozzarella sticks...so good. More of a batter than a crumbly breading, wish I don't usually care for. Probably some of the best mozzarella sticks I have ever had. I ordered the Buffalo Meatloaf. Nice "comfort food," exactly what I was craving. The meatloaf had the traditional style flavor and the garlic mashed potatoes and gravy were flavored well. My husband had the fried taco. It was huge! The size of his head. It was served with black beans and rice. It was not the best taco we have ever had, but was still very good and extremely filling. My brother had the chicken quesadilla, also large and he stated it was good. I was pleased with this dinner, the prices and the customer service. Worth a visit.

Spanaway, Washington
“Great Breakfasts - Fantastic People”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our five year old renamed the restaurant "The Tondermosa" and the staff immediately fell in love with the name and our daughter. We went there for breakfast three days in a row and the food was consistently very good.

Day one I ordered ham, eggs, hasbrowns, and english muffin - this is my baseline order to compare other items to. My wife had one of the yummy omelets. Our daughter had her favorite pancakes. Since it was slow (the week after Sturgess) the waitress and cook came out to visit with us and play with our daughter. Our little girl told them that her pancakes were the best thing ever.

Day two our little one ordered "her favorite pancakes" again. I had bisquits and gravy (really good) my wife had a different fantastic omelet. When our daughter's pancake came out it was placed on a serving platter as big as she was. It took all three of us to eat it. I hope to attach a photo.

We never had a chance to order a lunch or dinner since we were doing a lot of sight seeing in the area. But all breakfasts were great and were hearty enough to hold us throughout a whold day of exploring.

The restaurant had a cozy cabin feel to it with nice views.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Nice setting and decor, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the adjoining KOA and went for dinner at the Ponderosa. Decorated nicely, log cabin style. The food was at best average. BBQ boneless wings were more like chicken nuggets. Chicken nachos were decent though. Ordered a beer, they asked for I.D., I am 60 years old. Policy is odd at best. Waitress was nice enough, service was good.

Visited September 2013
The Black Hills, South Dakota
“Great hidden secret in the Black Hills!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The Ponderosa has a wide selection on their menu. From wraps, burgers and basket foods to Fresh Walleye, Sirloins and Buffal meatloaf. Our favorite is the HUGE deep fried taco. Nothing like it anywhere else! Great food, prices and atmosphere!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
USA
“Good option if at Palmer Gulch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Nothing to go out of your way for, but if you are in the area you could do worse. Basic menu items. My burger was good, but the chicken sandwich was paltry. Staff seemed to be in a state of confusion. Solid but not exceptional.

Visited August 2013