“okay for the money - great location,”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park
Lincoln, Nebraska
“okay for the money - great location,”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

we stayed there for four nights and overall enjoyed the experience. we were on motorcycles and chose the option where we stayed in a tent provided by them.
campground is nice and well taken care of. hot showers and clean restrooms.
the tent was up when we arrived, altho we had been promised a site with electricity, it had none. no big deal though as we were tenting. the "deposit" for linens and towels turned out to be a charge. no big deal, but $25 to use towels and sheets is a little excessive. (had they listed it as a charge on the internet instead of a deposit, would have been nice) the $3 all you can eat pancake breakfast was okay, did it once, they opted for the local fare. Overall a nice, centrally located, easily accessible by motorcycle campground. Would definately consider it again, but would probably go for the cabin option they have or the motel they also have on site. NOTE: close to a main highway, I imagine that it is quite noisy during the Sturgis motorcycle rally

Room Tip: talk to the staff, friendly and helpful
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Osmond, Nebraska
Reviewed 25 June 2011

If anyone is reading these reviews and thinking they should look somewhere else because of the bad reviews, PLEASE reconsider. I read these and almost made a huge mistake and cancel my reservation and look elsewhere. I am soooo glad I didn't. I really can't quite see what all the fuss is about. The staff were WONDERFUL! I haven't been treated so well by individuals that are operating a facility. They went over and above to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. We stayed in a cabin with a small kitchenette. We had a very clean room, two clean nice beds, a small frig, microwave, toaster, hotplate and TV. The bathroom was more than enough with a nice shower, sink and toilet. Towels were provided. Also, all our dishes were included and a grill and fire pit. I am not sure why the complaining...I guess it's just too hard to please some people. As for me and my family, this was a fantastic experience and if we get the chance again, we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TheFabFour1993
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Beautiful setting. Great price. There was a babbling brook right outside the window! Sure it was a tiny room and a small bed but the air was crisp and cool... and there was a babbling brook right outside the window (which remained open all night to capture the sound and the air). Maybe too many RV campers but it was an RV camp with a motel afterall (and they were on the other side of the creek). Bonus, for a change from all the mid-priced chains, it was only $75! The owner was very nice too! Would have liked to spend a couple of days relaxing but had to move on.

• Stayed July 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We read the mixed reviews but decided to give it a try and were not disappointed with our stay. The grounds were clean,open, and had a small creek running through it. We stayed at one of the rooms for a decent price(about 75) and it was ok for the price we paid. Clean, plenty of space, and a large vanity outside the bath area(this really helps when traveling with a couple of teens.) We had a microwave and fridge. We were away from the road and did not here any traffice or noise. The management's customer service skills are not the best but they were ok for the little we conversed. For the price and location we enjoyed the break from a hotel in town.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Heated pool is a joke, unless you consider it heated by the sun only a few hours of the day. Wireless internet provided (but the internet service is awful-can't even load a page in under an hour). The customer service for this place was absolutely horrible! Not only do they not answer their phones when trying to make a reservation, if you're lucky enough to get through, all you get is an old cranky lady on the other side that is just itching to pick a fight! There is no loyalty to past customers, that's for sure! Having stayed there nearly every weekend last year, we had nothing but good to say about this place. The owner was a pleasure to do business with and the staff was impeccable. This year, however, this lady tells me that I now can't park our camper in the same spot we did for an entire summer because our camper was too long! She claims that we were stealing water from the tent sites. On this last visit, however, we showed up at 7:00 p.m. (the office was closed) and knowing the park from previous visits, we showed ourselves to our campsite and set up. The next morning, I got a phone call from this old bat screaming at me about not showing up for our reservation. I indicated we had and stated what lot we were in. I had 2 reservations: 1 for us and 1 for another camper. She then ranted about the other camper never showing up either. I indicated they had and even told her that they were kind enough to purchase propane from the place that very morning. This lady was obviously too lazy to look down the hill to see both spots filled. As if this wasn't bad enough, later that night, I shared receipts with our next-door camper friends only to find that they had been charged less than I. On that note, you'll notice that their website is ambiguous-one price on the site and one price on their printed sheet. They've obviously raised their rates from last year. Here's the kicker: When I returned home, I found that I was double-charged! I called to inquire about the mishap and yet again, this old lady began yelling that because the reservation was in my name, I had to pay for BOTH lots. I told her that our friends had paid cash for their spot, I shouldn't have paid for a spot that was already paid for. Upon further investigation, her receipts clearly showed that I was due the refund. At the time of submitting this review, I've yet to be reimbursed. TOTAL CROOKS ALRIGHT! BUYER BEWARE It's too bad that the owner can't keep better control of the horrible customer service that runs a relatively beautiful campground.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bjardee
HillCityResort, Owner at Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Really not quite sure how to respond to this one. We keep very good notes in our computers when costomers have a suggestion, complaint or a problem. These kinds issues need to be addressed by a higher archy other than a front desk clerk. In this case was not done. We appologize for the customers inconvenience. If we the owners would have know about this right away it would have been handled very differently.
South Dakota
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Hubby & I camped 3 days here for our anniversary. We have a pop-up type camper. We reserved a certain spot through their off-site reservation system in section B (#70-78). When we arrived at the campground it took a little time for them to find our reservation. The person at the front desk mentioned that they don't get the reservation info automatically from the off-site center--they have to actually go into the reservation site to see all the info. They also wanted our credit card to keep on file for "incidentals". They gave us the map to our campsite and when we arrived at the spot there was already someone else set up in the spot that we reserved. I called the front desk and they said "we gave you number **--it's marked on your map". OK, that was fine, but what was the point of making a reservation for a certain spot if we weren't going to actually get that spot? We started to set up and found that the spots are very close together. We have an 18" slide-out on one side and we had to move the neighbor's picnic table or our slide-out would have hit it. We also have an awning with a screen room attached on the front side of the camper. The screen room almost hit the electrical pole for the adjacent campsite. Since we had never been to this campground before I had asked the reservation center about the site regarding our awning/screen room so I was surprised at how tight the spots were. Let's just say the online map is very misleading. We were in campground section B (70-79).
The bathhouse wasn't too far away from our site which was nice. The woman's side had 4 showers, 3 sinks and 3 toilet stalls. Two showers are in the main part of the bathroom. The other two are out in the common entry area so I'm assuming either men or women could use them. Unfortunately the lighting for those 2 showers is very poor so I don't think they get much use. The bathrooms were very clean the entire time we were there which was great. The only suggestion I could make for management is to have better lighting over the toilets and over the sink in the women's bathroom. The lights over the toilets don't come on until late evening (they're on a timer) and go off before daylight so it's rather dark in the individual stalls during the day. There is one, 2-tube florescent fixture over the 2 main showers and one light fixture with one compact florescent (curlycue) bulb over the 3 sinks. I think most women would like more light to do their hair and makeup.
We walked through the main camping area near the pool to see what it was like and they are definitely packed in tight! If you have kids and want to be near the pool and playground, this is the place for you. If you want a quieter area, go where we were (70-79) or to spots 60-69. I say quieter only because there probably won't be a lot of kids. Otherwise you will still hear a LOT of traffic noise since these spots are right below the main highway into Hill City. Besides the regular traffic there are many logging trucks heading to a wood plant in Hill City. It seems to quiet down during the middle of the night but starts up again very early. There is not a lot of shade in any part of the campground except maybe in the tenting areas. The creek running through the campground is quaint. The bridge near us that was over the creek was dilapidated and didn't look like it was very safe. I started to go across it once but changed my mind.
Another reviewer mentioned the Sheriff driving through the campground at regular intervals. We never saw one the entire time we were there. The campground hosts or maintenance seem to drive through regularly but that's all we saw. Maybe the Sheriff was driving through during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
The campground is definitely well located as far as getting to Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Crazy Horse, Spearfish Canyon, etc.
We didn't eat the pancake breakfast and we didn't buy anything from their little convenience store. The Wi-Fi was OK-slow but good enough to check your e-mail.
All in all we would probably camp here again but would try to get a spot farther away from the highway and see if that helps with all the highway noise--perhaps in #60-69 if they would give us the spot we reserve.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandarella
Monticello, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 September 2010

The place was clean upon first appearances... We stayed in a cabin here for 3 nights and it was NOT a clean facitity! The kids loved the pool, but the management did not like the kids. It was located close to the highway with police/ambulance running by occasionally with their sirens blaring. Conveniently located near Mickelson trail and not too far from many traveling destinations. Management were not too friendly and I would definately not come back or refer my friends or family here! For the price we paid, we should have received much much better service!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family