“Crooked Creek Lives Up to It's Name”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park
Golden Valley, Minnesota
“Crooked Creek Lives Up to It's Name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

We arrived at Crooked Creek on 7/11/11 around 7 p.m., unloaded our items, and went to get dinner. We got back to our cabin around 9 p.m., and first attempted to get onto the Crooked Creek wireless network. My wife teaches online courses and needed to do a few hours work each night during our vacation. When we tried to connect to the network, the signal quality said (for all 3 connections-there were 3 for the resort) low or poor. We kept trying, kept getting booted off, tried continually for 60 minutes, and after 10 p.m. we tried to call the front office to ask about this, but they were gone at this time. My wife needed to get work in that night, so we called a few places in Hill City but had no luck; thus, we had to relocate to a hotel in Rapid City 30 miles away. A major inconvenience since our children (5 years old and 8 months old) were already asleep. We came back to Crooked Creek the next day, and I talked to someone at the front desk that said refunding our money shouldn't be a problem. We came home 7/14, and noticed the charge was still on my account. We talked to the owner, who made it seem we could get a refund, but then said since we went though a reservation company, we'd need to talk to them instead. I talked to Leah at Black Hills Central Reservations and she said as long as Crooked Creek would refund, they would. She called the owner of CC while talking to me, and the owner of CC now refused to refund our money as she said, "We have Internet and with the way the economy is now I will not refund the money". When I told this woman that my wife needed to work each evening, and the resorts network for either down or too weak to reach our cabin, she replied, “that’s not my problem”.

When times are tough people show their true colors. Please do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this place as you can. Unless of course you enjoy filing a refusal of payment with your credit card, filing a BBB claim, and posting comments about amoral establishments.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank MN_Photo_Guy55427
HillCityResort, Owner at Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
The customer never contacted the front desk to explain that the wi-fi was not working. We do not have DSL internet so therefore we have radio towers that send out the signal and sometimes these need to be re-booted. This customer went all the way to the BBB with this complaint. All of the money was refunded to the customer accept the night they checked in. And as business owners we would never tell anyone in this state of economy that no refund would be made!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We had prebooked this so called cabin for a week and thank god ended up canceling 1 night before we actually got there. $100 a night during the week is a little pricey for this run down small cabin. Furniture is from the 70's beds are small and very uncomfortable. Very disappointed. Ended up leaving early and losing $. Nice people but asked for extra pillow one night, never rec'd, bring towels because their bath towels are very small--no extras what so ever. If you had a camper this place is very nice. Beautiful scenery and accomodations. Internet WiFi works off and on.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
This customer stayed at our Country Inn Motel. Happy to hear thet enjoyed our babbling creek but were unhappy with the new queen beds we just put in.
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

we stayed there for four nights and overall enjoyed the experience. we were on motorcycles and chose the option where we stayed in a tent provided by them.
campground is nice and well taken care of. hot showers and clean restrooms.
the tent was up when we arrived, altho we had been promised a site with electricity, it had none. no big deal though as we were tenting. the "deposit" for linens and towels turned out to be a charge. no big deal, but $25 to use towels and sheets is a little excessive. (had they listed it as a charge on the internet instead of a deposit, would have been nice) the $3 all you can eat pancake breakfast was okay, did it once, they opted for the local fare. Overall a nice, centrally located, easily accessible by motorcycle campground. Would definately consider it again, but would probably go for the cabin option they have or the motel they also have on site. NOTE: close to a main highway, I imagine that it is quite noisy during the Sturgis motorcycle rally

Room Tip: talk to the staff, friendly and helpful
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Osmond, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

If anyone is reading these reviews and thinking they should look somewhere else because of the bad reviews, PLEASE reconsider. I read these and almost made a huge mistake and cancel my reservation and look elsewhere. I am soooo glad I didn't. I really can't quite see what all the fuss is about. The staff were WONDERFUL! I haven't been treated so well by individuals that are operating a facility. They went over and above to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. We stayed in a cabin with a small kitchenette. We had a very clean room, two clean nice beds, a small frig, microwave, toaster, hotplate and TV. The bathroom was more than enough with a nice shower, sink and toilet. Towels were provided. Also, all our dishes were included and a grill and fire pit. I am not sure why the complaining...I guess it's just too hard to please some people. As for me and my family, this was a fantastic experience and if we get the chance again, we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TheFabFour1993
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

Beautiful setting. Great price. There was a babbling brook right outside the window! Sure it was a tiny room and a small bed but the air was crisp and cool... and there was a babbling brook right outside the window (which remained open all night to capture the sound and the air). Maybe too many RV campers but it was an RV camp with a motel afterall (and they were on the other side of the creek). Bonus, for a change from all the mid-priced chains, it was only $75! The owner was very nice too! Would have liked to spend a couple of days relaxing but had to move on.

• Stayed July 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

We read the mixed reviews but decided to give it a try and were not disappointed with our stay. The grounds were clean,open, and had a small creek running through it. We stayed at one of the rooms for a decent price(about 75) and it was ok for the price we paid. Clean, plenty of space, and a large vanity outside the bath area(this really helps when traveling with a couple of teens.) We had a microwave and fridge. We were away from the road and did not here any traffice or noise. The management's customer service skills are not the best but they were ok for the little we conversed. For the price and location we enjoyed the break from a hotel in town.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Gillette, Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

Heated pool is a joke, unless you consider it heated by the sun only a few hours of the day. Wireless internet provided (but the internet service is awful-can't even load a page in under an hour). The customer service for this place was absolutely horrible! Not only do they not answer their phones when trying to make a reservation, if you're lucky enough to get through, all you get is an old cranky lady on the other side that is just itching to pick a fight! There is no loyalty to past customers, that's for sure! Having stayed there nearly every weekend last year, we had nothing but good to say about this place. The owner was a pleasure to do business with and the staff was impeccable. This year, however, this lady tells me that I now can't park our camper in the same spot we did for an entire summer because our camper was too long! She claims that we were stealing water from the tent sites. On this last visit, however, we showed up at 7:00 p.m. (the office was closed) and knowing the park from previous visits, we showed ourselves to our campsite and set up. The next morning, I got a phone call from this old bat screaming at me about not showing up for our reservation. I indicated we had and stated what lot we were in. I had 2 reservations: 1 for us and 1 for another camper. She then ranted about the other camper never showing up either. I indicated they had and even told her that they were kind enough to purchase propane from the place that very morning. This lady was obviously too lazy to look down the hill to see both spots filled. As if this wasn't bad enough, later that night, I shared receipts with our next-door camper friends only to find that they had been charged less than I. On that note, you'll notice that their website is ambiguous-one price on the site and one price on their printed sheet. They've obviously raised their rates from last year. Here's the kicker: When I returned home, I found that I was double-charged! I called to inquire about the mishap and yet again, this old lady began yelling that because the reservation was in my name, I had to pay for BOTH lots. I told her that our friends had paid cash for their spot, I shouldn't have paid for a spot that was already paid for. Upon further investigation, her receipts clearly showed that I was due the refund. At the time of submitting this review, I've yet to be reimbursed. TOTAL CROOKS ALRIGHT! BUYER BEWARE It's too bad that the owner can't keep better control of the horrible customer service that runs a relatively beautiful campground.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bjardee
HillCityResort, Owner at Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Really not quite sure how to respond to this one. We keep very good notes in our computers when costomers have a suggestion, complaint or a problem. These kinds issues need to be addressed by a higher archy other than a front desk clerk. In this case was not done. We appologize for the customers inconvenience. If we the owners would have know about this right away it would have been handled very differently.