All reviewsclean restroomsthursday sundayrv parkfire pitpancakestent sitescrazy horsethe staff was friendly and helpfulcabinplaygroundkidsmtkeystone
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at the 3 bedroom rental house they have off site. However we used the pool and spoke with people staying at campground. Very nice staff. We will recommend Crooked Creek Resort to our family and friends. The Klein's 2012 Mount Rushmore Trip... crawl-spaces.com

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KevinKlein
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The room is very small but if you just need a place to sleep at night and do not plan on spending much time in your room, this is a great bargain. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are next to the campgrounds. Breakfast in their pavillion in the morning for a fee. Very reasonable and good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin D
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Holy crap! This stay couldn't have been better. Resort is in the middle of everything in the Black Hills. I booked three nights at Crooked Creek Resort site unseen. I had no idea what to expect. My family and I were spending 4 days in the Mount Rushmore Memorial area and wanted a cabin experience with some amenities. We booked the 1 room cabin with bathroom and shower. When we arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I was nervous about the cabin because it backed the main road. When we opened our cabin it was spotless. Extra linens and blankets were available. There was a kitchenette with hotplate and fridge. Out front of the cabin was a charcoal grill and fire pit. Simple, easy layout. Now I want to build one of these little cabins on some property I own.
All the staff at the Crooked Creek were very attentive and friendly. Going out of their way to welcome us and see that our needs were met. I wanted a roll away bed for one of my boys and they quickly went and retrieved one. WiFi was great and I planned out our trip on my iPad sitting in front of our fire pit. Now that is really roughing it!
In the mornings Crooked Creek has this great chuck wagon breakfast. $3.00 all you can eat pancakes which is great for the kids. I recommend the breakfast burrito made fresh while you wait. The breakfast staff were some of the nicest people I've ever met and they made sure we were well taken care of. I think I gained 20 pounds in the 3 meals I ate there.
The playground kept my kids occupied for hours and they met new friends from all around the country.
The only con's I saw about this place was the pool was out of commission during our stay but it looked like some new tile work would be completed in a few days. Beds were comfortable but noisy and the cabin bathroom toilet was so close to the door that your knees would hit the door while doing your business. Ok if your an open door sitter! Noise from the road never bothered us. Didn't even notice it.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank stew82
HillCityResort, Owner at Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Holy Buckets! We are so happy that you enjoyed your Black Hills adventure site un seen with us! Just remodeled those for 2012. More to come for 2013! Hope you will venture this way again in the future. Happy travels.

Doug & Michelle Olson
Owners
Crooked Creek Resort

Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed in a beautiful tent site July of 2011 for 4 nights. It was perfect...lots of room, next to the creek, under a tree and right next to the Mickelson trail. The bathrooms were very clean although, cramped and not enough showers to keep up with demand, and the worst toilet paper on the planet! Leaves would have done a better job! Regardless, because of the extreme NOISE and lack of quiet time enforcement, we will never stay there again. The office staff seemed attentive upon arrival, but once we had a problem with partying neighbors until 3 am, there was no one to be found. I appreciate the beautiful lawns, (the grounds are VERY well kept) but after being kept awake until 3 am, irritability rising with each minute, we REALLY did NOT want to hear mowers starting up at 7 or 8 am, lasting until the early afternoon. We complained about the partying neighbors the next night....nobody really cared. The property is very close to the highway, so we got a lot of noise from that, which was not very relaxing. I realize there is nothing the owners could do about that, but since it is an issue, one would think they would make an extra effort to enforce other noise...ex. LOUD PARTIES. (this was NOT during Sturgis...these people were just the average travelling group whooping it up until 3 am) There is no place to wash dishes, other than a tub with cold water only, with super rude cleaning staff watching your every move. One woman even started spraying down mats from the bath house right next to where I was so the the water was spraying on me. Just plain rude. The pool was really small, but we don't know about the temp. because we ended up showing up to the campground in cold rainy weather, so swimming wasn't appealing...a HOT TUB would have been a very nice addition for ADULTS! All in all, it's a beautiful campground for tent camping, if you can score the right site, the bathrooms are clean, but the noise and lack of enforcement is a serious detriment. We won't stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Celenebean

Glad you enjoyed 4 night stay. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here for four nights. The couple at the front office were super friendly and we felt very welcome. It has a great location central to all the Black hills have to offer. We did a lot including Custer, Mt. Rushmore, Keystone and of course Hill City. There were a lot of campgrounds in the area but this one had a great fall special. The wifi was very good. The only negative we had was that the RV sites were a bit close together. These big rigs and slides take up lots of room. But the central location really made up for that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jen1955

Hey thanks for staying with us! Sounds like you had a good expierience while you were here. Hill City is welcoming a new event this summer. "Brule" an American Rock Opera group. And don't forget about the Custer State Park Buffallo round up the last weekend of september. Oh and don't forget the Hill City quilt show second week of september. Hope to soo you there!