“Nice campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hill City
Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I have to disagree with previous postings. Our family stayed in cabin #2 and cabin #3 and found the cabins cozy. Yes they are close to the road and you get some traffic noise but I don't think the staff can do much about that. We found the owners and staff very accomodating and some of the hardest workers I have seen at a campground. The grounds were well groomed. The showers were updated and clean. The laundry facilities were also very clean with newer machines (the staff even kept the building open extra long just by me asking). The location is centrally located and beautiful. The bathrooms were small and the refrigerators were apartment sized but we didn't need more since we were busy sightseeing all day anyway. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 June 2009

The name is very misleading. A Resort implies some semblance of luxury, something this place has none of. It is a campground with a few rustic cabins and a small motel. We booked 3 nights here, June 12th-14th, and were not impressed. The first sign of trouble came when there was no hot water. I reset the breaker and before long the water was warm. Fortunately we didn't need hot water right away.

There are several sets of cabins. They range from small to medium to large. We stayed in #9, a medium cabin. Even though it was close to the highway, noise was never an issue. However, the cabin was tiny, and for comfort there were only two hard chairs. A tiny TV stood on the tiny table. The "cable" consisted of about 9 channels, of which only the weather channel would come in clearly. The "kitchen" area was tiny, and the fridge was too small to be of any real use. We bought lots of groceries planning to do lots of our own cooking and use the grill they provide(bring your own charcoal and fluid), but ended up having to use a cooler because the fridge was worthless. They also provide a fire ring by each cabin.

The bathroom was even smaller. One had to sit sideways to use the toilet, and the shower head came up to about the top of my chest(I'm 6'2"). The vanity mirror was at about belly button level due to a window being in the way. Fortunately there was a full-length mirror on the door.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable, but less than clean, and thank God we brought our own pillows because the only ones they have and made of a weird fuzzy material which compliments the bed spread but is only for show, not sleeping with.

Overall, the grounds were well-kept. The pool was small but clean. The playground was tiny. The office was open 'til 9, later than the 6p.m. that is posted. That said, there was really no reason to go there except for ice, because everything was way overpriced. The creek and trail access were nice. They have a computer you can use in the office, but it was so slow I gave up after several minutes.

O.K., so, to sum it up, this isn't a bad place to stay if you are just looking for a place to hang your head for the night after a lond day of sightseeing or a decent place to camp, especially in an RV. You can't beat the location, centrally located near all the major attractions. If you are looking for comfort or luxury, this is not the place for you.

One final note: if you do stay here, DO NOT MISS the all you can eat pancakes for $2.50(includes lemonade and coffee). But skip on the bacon and sausage for $3.50 more.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Morgman
Reviewed 2 September 2008

A common problem when tent camping at a campground is that you are often close to RV's which make for a noisy setting. They have several large tent areas. You are able to pick your location, just find some open grass and setup your tent. They don't have spot numbers for tents, but there is plenty of room and plenty of picnic tables and fire pits.

We were able to pitch our tent right next to the creek. The bathroom/showers were nice and not too far away. The campground is on a 100mile long bike/walking trail which is very convenient for a morning ride. The tenting area was mostly open, with a few scattered trees. The grass was very thick and green which makes for a soft place to sleep.

For $2.50 you get all the pancakes you can eat in the morning. That sure beats a cold breakfast or starting up a stove.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2008

We stayed in cabin #3, which was a few feet away from a busy highway. It was very noisy. The window air conditioner was very loud as well....it sounded like there was a small semi right outside your room. When we didn't have that running, you could hear everything going on in the adjoining cabin. The cabin was not set up to "relax in". There was one chair, and the only table was holding the TV. Beds were not comfortable. We slept horrible. We had reserved 3 nights, and when we tried to get our money back for the last 2 nights, they refused our request. So instead of staying the last night, we decided to drive home instead, forfeiting the money we paid for the room. I would NOT recommend this resort to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay while you're on vacation. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LuvToTravel18
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Watch out for the rude staff members! In such a beautiful place, why the crabbiness? The campers are packed in like sardines, but we tried to make the best of it. Quiet times are not enforced here, so if you have small children that need to go to bed, forget it. We tried to call Mngmt at 12:30 am with no luck. We also went to the office apartment and no one answered the door. Store and arcade closed early because it was going to rain. ??? When my daughter went to the store to get change they would not give it to her. ( She wanted 4 quarters for a dollar). Staff members yelled at my children and other children for riding thier bikes on the grass when the whole time we were there, the staff were riding golf carts on the grass! To top it off, I came home to an extremely rude phone message from them saying that , "I ripped them off by not paying for the last night" and then they hung up. It was the most unprofessional message I have ever heard. Clearly there was miscomunication on this subject and I emailed them back with pmt details. ( They had my credit card on file from the first 3 nights that I had already paid) I would never recommed this resort to anyone. In all of my years of camping, I have never had this bad of experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank campersSiouxFalls_SD
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Last summer I made reservations for a house this resort owns (12 miles from the campsite) for this June. At the time they gave me details on their cancellation policy - $200 deposit, 30 day cacellation with a $10 charge if I needed to cancel. Since that time I found out I'm pregnant with our third child and decided this trip across the country would just be too difficult. When I called to make the cancelation I was told there would be a $20 charge. I reminded the lady that I was quoted $10. She agreed that was the policy at the time I made the reservation but said their policy had recently changed. I reiterated my request for them to stand by the policy they gave me when I made the reservation (after all, they had not contacted me and told me it changed) and she told me I had gotten a great rate ($200/night rather than $250-$300 which is the normal rate). That was a strange argument on her part - the rate is irrelevant as I was canceling!

It's not worth my time to fight the $10 difference in charges but I do want to warn others about the ownership. Who's to say their policy won't just change to make the initial night's deposit ($200 in my case) the cancelation fee! I understand rates and fees change but I do expect places to honor what they quote at the time of the reservation; if they feel they can't do that they should not make reservations that far in advance.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 25 July 2003

We just returned from a wonderful vacation in the Blackhills. It was a weeklong trip, with most of it spent on the road. There were 8 of us in two vehicles, driving from from Texas to South Dakota in three days, making overnight stops in Colorado Springs, Denver, and finally Hill City, SD. On the last day's drive, the scenery the whole way was gorgeous--we went from city, to rolling hills, to mountains. We saw lots of antelope on the grassy hillsides. We went through some light showers, saw a gorgeous double rainbow, then went through a place where the hail was piled on the roadside like snow (boy, did we feel LUCKY to be behind that storm!) The next day was our lazy day. At the campground, Crooked Creek Campground, we got up late, had a big breakfast, explored the campground. This is a beautiful little place. The creek runs right through it. There are plenty of trails to walk or bike. I highly recommend this campground. The hosts were super nice. The showers were clean, plenty of hot water. The facilities are very nice. There is a gameroom and swimming pool for the kids. (Unless you are from Alaska, I wouldn't recommend the swimming pool!) The campground is right off the road, but it's very quiet, plenty of space. We stayed in the camping cabins. The beds were comfortable. They were roomy and clean. We froze one night, but that was only because we didn't know how to work the heater!Hill City is only 3 miles down the road, very convenient. It is a touristy little town, but it does have one big grocery store, where we were able to find everything we wanted for our meals. There is also a T-Shirt place which advertises 3 t-shirst/$10. We waited until the last day, and came here to buy all of our souvenirs. Travelers won't have any problems finding souvenir stores--but this little shop was cheapest we found. It is on the main highway, in the tourist section. Around noon, we left for Rapid City, toured a Scandinavian Chapel, a flower garden and a gold jewelry factory. The chapel was my favorite. It replicates an 890 year old Norwegian chuch. It is beautiful and ornate, made entirely of wood, incredible woodcarving. There was going to be a wedding that afternoon in the chapel, so we didn't stay very long. The gold jewelry factory was interesting. I had no idea that it was such tedious work. Did you know that they collect the water where employees wash their hands and the dirt that is vacuumed from the floor to sift through any gold dust that might have fallen or been washed off one's hands? We found these places (except for the jewelry factory) on a brochure of free sightseeing places for Rapid City. Everywhere we went, we could pick up these brochures, along with a map of the city and the region. There were many places to visit, but most of them seemed a little young for our group: Storybook Land, Dinosaur Park, Fish Hatchery, etc. We didn't have much luck following their map or signs to the places we wanted to visit. Might have been because we are poor map-readers. Might have been the detours and road construction. Regardless of the reason, we spent a great deal of time trying to follow, and wound up skipping some of the places. Next day was my favorite--I think it was for everyone. We took a bus tour of the Dakotas--Gray Line Tours. I highly recommend this! Our driver was very skillful, and informative. The bus was comfortable. We were all together, somebody else did the driving, and we didn't get lost! We went up to Mount Rushmore, to the Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, and ended up with a Chuck Wagon Supper Show. It was a delightful day. Our first stop was Borglum's museum in Keystone. Borglum is the sculptor for Mount Rushmore. I would have spent a LOT more time in the museum had we not been on a bus schedule. I was fascinated with Borglum's work. Did you know he started on Mt. Rushmore at age 60? He has a sculpture in San Antonio of the cattle drive. He started carving a beautiful scene of Robert E. Lee and the Civil War into the side of Stone Mountain in Georgia, but they got into a big fight with the people who paid for it and Borglum blew his work off the mountain and escaped during the middle of the night. There was a warrant out for his arrest, but North Carolina (where he escaped), refused to extradite him. The original scene on Mt. Rushmore had Jefferson's body on the left of Washington, but Borglum couldn't get his face just right and had to blast his face off the mountain and move him to the other side. Originally, the scene was from the waist up of the Presidents, but he didn't get that far. One of Borglum's assistants was a man named Korzak something or other. The Lakota Indians were so disgusted that their sacred Black Hills were being defaced with white heroes that they commissioned Korzak to build a monument to their hero: Crazy Horse. The Crazy Horse Memorial is a HUGE carving of Crazy Horse upon his horse pointing over the Black Hills. Right now, it is just the face of Crazy Horse, with the rock leveled in front of his face, so that it will become the top of his outstretched arm. On the mountain below his arm, the head of his horse has been sketched into the mountain, so that when the sculptors get that far, they can begin carving out the horse's head. All four of the Mt. Rushmore faces would fit on Crazy Horse's head--so this one is incredibly huge. It is also incredibly unfinished. They accepted no government aid to do this. Korzak and his family took on the task in 1969. Korzak has since died and is buried in a hewn-out tomb at the base of the mountain, where his family will join him one day--and his family continues the job. They have taken 400 million tons of rock off that mountain. There is a HUGE museum, educational center, gift shop, Indian artifacts, etc., etc., down at the bottom. One of the places had a bin for rock taken off the mountain- I lugged a Crazy Horse granite rock home, much to the mirth of my family. This is a place I would love to spend more time--if we ever get to go back. And since it is an ongoing project, I am sure it will be much different!Custer State Park is a gorgeous park, with beautiful lakes, rivers, flowers, and wildlife. The bus stopped often so that we could look at the buffalo, the Sylvan Lake, a view of Mount Rushmore framed by a tunnel in the rock, the Cathedral Rocks, etc. Apparently, blasting tunnels through rocks was very expensive because every one of the 4 we went through was just barely big enough for the tour buses to enter. There was less than a foot of space on each side as we inched through. That was a big deal--especially the first one. I wouldn't have driven a car through that one. Our driver inched through. He said he had scraped the sides many times, but I don't know if he was lying or not. I don't know how first-time tour guides practice driving through those tunnels. The Chuck Wagon Supper was a delightful way to top off the day. The food was good. Of course, a BBQ dinner would have to be amazing to stand out to a Texan! The singers were fun. They played a mixture of old and new country, bluegrass, and Western swing. They told lots of jokes and made us laugh.The next day, we loaded up and headed for Texas. It was a memorable experience.

14  Thank SINGNUT
HillCityResort, Owner at Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2008

New HEATED swimming pool 2007

High Country Guest Ranch
High Country Guest Ranch
#10 of 12 in Hill City
Mount Rushmore Lodge at Palmer Gulch

Been to Crooked Creek Resort and RV Park? Share your experiences!