“Average to say the least”

Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground
Ranked #13 of 30 Restaurants in Hill City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went to celebrate Mother's Day, and I was really looking forward to prime rib (we live locally). When we got there, we were given 2 options: ribeye or turkey/ham with salad bar, baked potato, and dessert. No big deal, we both like ribeyes and a salad bar was a plus. Things went downhill from there. The salad bar was disappointing (plastic plates, bland choices), my steak was close to medium well when I'd ordered medium rare. The steaks were bland with little flavor. Still dessert, right? Chocolate or carrot cake. We both ordered carrot and it was rather dry. The table that got their food just before us had prime rib, so it turns out that they had run out of prime rib on Mother's Day (seems like that would be most mothers' choice since we can cook a better ribeye at home). Service was average. This was my 3rd visit. Earlier visits were great, but I'm not sure that we'll be back again.

MarkR_HorseCreek, Owner at Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Unfortunately we did run out of prime rib late in the day on Mothers Day. We apologize for your experience as it sounds like it was not up to anyone's standards - including ours. Thank you for your feedback. We hope your next visit will be what you had come to expect from us.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

So ok the steak was fine, but please if you're going to offer vegetables don;t take them straight from a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, I'd rather just not have them. As for the cheese and beer soup, it was inedible. Never again.

MarkR_HorseCreek, Owner at Horse Creek Inn Restaurant & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during this visit. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to work hard to provide the best food and service we can. We hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in our area.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Horse Creek Inn was a great place for a tasty steak dinner. The staff were friendly and attentive. Great value for the price. Simply delicious steak!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Excellent prime rib, nothing fancy, just good old fashioned food, with excellent service and good drinks.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We both had prime rib. mine was tuff no flavor, hers was tender no flavor. it was almost cool to touch. our first vist and I was excitied from reading the reviews great prime rib, best I ever had. if this was what they had they don't know great prime rib. We should have just had a grilled steak i believe. The server did a fine job. we had revervations for Valentines day got there a bit early but we got seated pronto. our first experiance over all here from 1-10 would be a 5. I hope to get back again and I will have a grilled steak that meal will determine if we ever return again.