“rip off”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The menu had 2 choices. One was supposedly filet mignon which was really a strip steak rolled up. There was a long wait--over one hour--largely people drawn to the faux filet mignon. So better to go to Desperados which has great bison roast and a better menu. Great service.

3  Thank Lorraine2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,513)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I heard about the Alpine Inn the first time we visited the Black Hills but in our 4 previous visits to the area we never made it there due to time restraints or because our kids were too young but I was determined to eat there this trip-so glad we did! Service and food were outstanding and the desserts sounded wonderful but we were too full to try any. We arrived around 4:40 and were seated immediately at 5. Lots of other diners but there were some open tables while we ate. Seems busier later-drove by twice after 8 p.m. and the porch was full of people waiting for a table. Prices are extremely reasonable, not only for the filet but also for drinks and desserts. I won't wait another 21 years to eat here again.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We go to the Black Hills Rally every year for the past 24 years and the Alpine is on our list every year. What a find! Great steaks, excellent service but most of all, I look forward to my yearly treat to the tiramisu. I have not had any better, anywhere. While waiting to be seated, several ladied in the line commented that the napoleon was the best ever. So, although I still ordered the tiramisu, we ordered a napolean to share among all at the table. It was just "ok" but the tiramisu was as I remember it every year. There are times we have gone to the Alpine twice during one visit, if time allows.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were here the week before the rally so the town was full and this restaurant was busy. We ordered take out and I was impressed by how well the bartender took care of us. Many times take out is a step child to some restaurants. The filet was good perhaps the best steak we ate in the Black Hills. Don't miss the deserts. The bread pudding was awesome and somehow found its way into our plans even when we did not eat here. The other deserts we had were very good too.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We come to South Dakota almost every year and the Alpine Inn is a must for us. This year my 86 year old mother was traveling with us and she enjoyed her lunch and dessert as much as my husband and I enjoyed ours. Her only complaint was how cold it was inside the restaurant and it seemed to be blowing on her. The waitress was friendly enough but it was very busy and she seemed a bit like she didn't want to be there. I ordered the special, beef stroganoff and I must say was the best I've ever eaten. We all had dessert which is a must no matter which one you choose and there are lots!!

Been to Alpine Inn? Share your experiences!