“Everything you need!”

Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Cabins were well equipped and suitable for all of our needs. George was friendly and accommodating. He was very helpful during an unexpected power outage due to a snow storm in October. All in all we had a great stay and a good time!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Had an enjoyable stay at Quails Crossing even though we had a major blizzard and lost electricity for several days.George was very accommodating and made sure we had flashlites and batteries. We had heat,hot water and a gas stove to cook with.The cabins were clean and in order,older but good for families,hunters and trout fisherman.Looking forward to going back next October minus the snow storm. Andy

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert A
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife had never had an opportunity to 'Go West' so we planned extensively for our trip from IL to SD- 3 months of planning. Doing our best to maintain a middle-class status, we sought the best deal we found - available at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing right outside of Hill City, South Dakota, and it was centrally located to all the attractions and cities we were interested in!
Our host, George, shared with us information of the area - places to eat nearby, info on attractions, the history of Quail's Crossing and more. The office carried not only those items you may have forgotten or ran out of, but also a few 'freebies' to get you by, as well as movie rentals and souveniers. Upon our arrival the first evening, the first thing that George told us, even before getting payment, etc. was "cabin #2 is ready for you". I laughed a little because he must have seen that after our long drive it was our first interest. During our 10 day stay George was ever available offering a "Good Morning" or just a wave.
We found our cabin to be clean, well kept and right within our price range. At home, 2 weeks ago, we had bought a brand new Sealy mattress and box springs-its very comfortable- every night when I went to bed I slept great on our bed on vacation(oops never checked the tag but it had to be quality). There were vacationers in other cabins and in the motel, some as couples and some with children and not once were we bothered by a 'neighbor'. Speaking of 'neighbor' - the couples and families that were near to us spoke and it was not just a 'Hi' but we talked as in where are you going, what have you seen, how long are you staying - best descriptive word here Cordial, we had shared interests, a vacation, solitude but yet solidarity.
Our surroundings were comforting: Aces the horse loves attention and is gentle, he mows some grass and humors adults and children alike. There were firepits available - free firewood available for residents - surrounded by chairs, whether you wanted a night under the gracious stars or roasting hot dogs and making s'mores. A creek out back to pan for gold(George offers lessons) and access to the Michelson Trail. Swimming pool and hot tub too!
A few days before our trip to South Dakota, I obtained the age of 54, I have traveled from the southern tip of Florida to Chicago - from New York City down to Myrtle Beach SC to California(of which I lived for more than a year) and beyond to living in Hawaii and places in between I have camped and I have stayed at a Motel 6 and up to a Hyatt Hotel, I must admit that Black Hills at Quails Crossing was most like vacation home to me.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob D
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were a group of 3 couples and stayed here for it's central location to the areas we wanted to visit. We stayed in the Motel Suite, which was clean and very comfortable. This is an older place and does not have the newest things but it is clean and has everything we needed to make it the hub of our trip. George was very accommodating and helpful. The group fire pit with wood supplied was enjoyabole, the hot tub was relaxing and it would have been great to do a little panning for gold but never seemed to have the time to fit it into our schedule. We walked on the trail which is so convenient right out the back gate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda H
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I love to plan vacations, especially when it is to somewhere my husband and I have never been. I'm glad I chose Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail''s Crossing for our home base while vacationing in South Dakota, Aug 18-28. I spent hours reading about all the available campgrounds in the area and their amenities and I kept coming back to Quail's Crossing. George is a great host and a "pretty good ol' guy" as we say in Texas; he likes to talk as do I, so we had a great time. One reason I stayed in these cabins is the CCC history; my dad was in the CCC in the 30's before WWII. Yes, the cabins are old but they are clean and functional; no bed bugs, no fleas, no crud in the sink. The cabins are really clean, the towels and bed sheets are of good quality and the campground peaceful. The stove worked as did the refrigerator (a real refrigerator and not an "ice box" as stated earlier) and there was plenty of hot water for washing dishes and bathing. The TV had great cable reception and it was a nice size TV. We were able to pick up the internet in our cabin (#1) which was a plus. Aces is a great horse and he loves apples and carrots which we fed to him everyday of our 10 day stay.The office at Quail's Crossing has a lot of minor items you might forget and it's very convenient to buy there. You might think the price would be higher than the stores in town but I was surprised to find the bar of soap I bought at Quail's Crossing was priced lower than in town. This is a great launching point for all the sites in the Black Hills and I highly recommend it. Yes, George has rules and they are posted in the cabins but they only make sense; clean up after yourself. If you don't want to clean up then let George know and your cleaning deposit covers the clean up. We cleaned the kitchen and took out the trash but I did not want to sweep, vacuum or mop so I didn't and I let George know. Remember Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing is George's business so respect him for that. Clean up as you go so it not overwhelming when you leave; no one is stopping you from running the vacuum every other day or so or even cleaning a bit everyday. If you expect the Ritz you came to the wrong place. If you expect to be catered to and pampered you came to the wrong place. If you want a great place to be able to see the Black Hllls, sit in a chair and watch the trees grow, feed a horse and enjoy the outdoors then Quail's Crossing is the place to be. We hope to return someday and Quail's Crossing will be our choice. Thanks, George!

Room Tip: The cabins are quiet, really quiet at night when you are sleeping. If you are used to city noise the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We read the web-site for the description of the accomodations for Quail's Crossing and it sounded wonderful and we did not have an issue paying the $1600 for the week to stay here.... Unfortunetly, not much that we saw, was like the pictures on the website. The nice furniture in the pictures was not to be found in our cabin. The beds were uncomfortable and basically a lumpy mattress on a frame. The "full" kitchen area consisted of a 1950's refrigerator (complete with the icebox access inside the main refrigerator) and a stove of the same period.

The main living area consisted of a 1960's love seat with an uncomfortable pull out sleeper and a 1980's style TV. I have attached pictures of the kitchen sink (complete with filthy crud in corners) and a pic of livingroom sleeper sofa (the air mattress was ours that we bought so someone could actually sleep on it, and if you notice the bottom right hand corner of pic, you can see the TV).

To make matters worse, when we mentioned our displeasure to the owner, George Heywood; I got called a low life coward, a liar, and was told that I was complaining like an "old woman".

Please, do not put yourself through this, there are many cabins in the area that are much nicer and not as much drama!!!

Room Tip: Go 1/2 mile down road to another cabin.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Paul R
Quailscr, Owner at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Unfortunately this customer has not told the whole story. No where in My Website advertising do
I claim my cabins to be all brand new, instead I clearly list them as older but clean. Check it out.
The crud he refers to on the sink is an older porcelain kitchen with chip & stains as porcelain does. What else this person is not telling is that the reservation was made by his no longer friend that had been here before and knew exactly what the cabin was like. Older but Clean as Advertised!!!! This person was here during rally and chose to have extra beds put in the cabin to
crowd in as many as possible, which meant single beds instead of the normal queen beds which are not as everyone know as comfortable, sorry but that is not my fault as it was their choice.
The real issue is he embarrassed himself here in front of his friends and for over 2 years has chose to slander myself and business over it. Check out the reviews of great customers and decide for yourself Thanks George owner operator

Reviewed 29 August 2013

After reading all the negative comments, I was concerned about staying at Quail's Crossing. To those of you that are feeling the same way, let me put your mind at ease. My wife and I stayed at Quail's Crossing from august 20 to the 24th with our 15 year old daughter and her 14 year old friend. When we pulled in the cabins looked dated but cozy. We met George and checked in, we stayed in cabin 6 across from the pool and play ground. When we walked in the cabin we noticed that it was very clean .It has a kitchen, fully supplied pots, pans, dishes Etc. with stove, refrigerator, table and chairs. Bathroom with shower. Living room with sofa sleeper and two bed rooms with queen beds. Although we didn’t get a chance to use the pool it was open and very clean. It comes with outdoor grill free charcoal provided picnic table and a place for a camp fire behind the cabins free wood provided. The girls did go and feed and pet Aces the horse.They now want one Thanks, George! The Michelson trail runs right behind the cabins where you can bike or walk, however bikes are provided free of charge. The kids did take advantage of the tetherball and play ground. During our stay George took 2hrs of his time to teach the girls how to pan for gold, they did find some flakes that they brought home. George was very helpful in places to go and things to do. Check out day we cleaned the cabin per the checkout rules. George passed it and we did get our cleaning deposit charge back on our card.
Now to address the negative comments:
We do not know George personally but anytime any of us talked to him which was quite often he was very friendly, never rude and took the time to stop and talk and answer questions.
There was no horse manure around the cabins or the play area!
Took my credit card info with 3 digit code, had no problem and returned our cleaning deposit!
There were no weeds around the cabins as the lawns were mowed. I walked down to the trail and at no time did I have to wade through weeds!
There is a fenced area on the back of the property that has some equipment stored but I don’t believe you could call it junk and it is enclosed!
Bedbugs and fleas; this was a big one for me and was the very first thing I checked before taking in our bags, nothing there. George keeps these cabins very clean, perhaps the people complaining about not getting their deposits back don't have the high cleaning standards that George and most of the rest us do.

Summary: If I would have listened to the negative comments (which I almost did), I wouldn’t have stayed here, what a shame. Give respect and you get it back. Follow the rules, they are not that strict, they just want all their guests to have a great stay! Clean up per the rules and you will get your cleaning deposit back!
Thanks George for the great stay and your time!
Randy Richards