“Everyone should see this”

Badlands Petrified Gardens
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Kadoka
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Lots of information about the rocks of the Badlands. Great display outside in the garden and in the museum inside. Very unique items in the gift shop. We were glad we found this place and stopped. It is an unusual place and very educational.

3  Thank USAHwyTraveler
in 11 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stopped at the Badlands Petrified Gardens on our trip to the Badlands. Very unusual, with a old roadside attraction feel to it. Outside garden features a wide variety of petrified wood that can (mostly) be touched, climbed on, etc. The petrified wood is fascinating, especially some of the larger log and trunk samples.

The gardens aren't fancy - it's really like someone's fenced backyard with 30 or so petrified rock displays put on the ground. If you are expecting something slick or glitzy, this isn't it! This attraction doesn't seems like it's had a lot of updating in the last 30 or so years. We enjoyed the experience.

Be prepared if the day is hot; there's no shade or water fountains outside. Admission was less than $18 for our family of 5.

One of the best parts of our visit was the 'rocks by the pound' area in the back garden. $2/lb, with a minimum $2 purchase. We know little to nothing about rocks but it didn't matter! We spent less than $8 and got a very fun selection, including some petrified wood, interesting 'mud' rock, rose quartz, and blue (?) quartz (?).

The inside museum is tiny but very educational. Kids liked the the dinosaur tracks and other fossils. I liked it all! In particular, the ammonite display was beautiful.

Gift shop was quite large. We spent another $20 or so and purchased an ammonite buffalo and several small rock samples.

All in all, an enjoyable and quirky visit. We probably spent about 1 1/2 hrs here overall. The rocks we purchased are some of our favorite souvenirs of the trip. The older couple running the museum was very friendly to us and our kids.

3  Thank DEVikingsMom
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

As we first walked in and presented the coupon. The man wouldn't take the coupon and was a jerk. Sir, look in the traveler coupon book, you have the same coupon in there. The outside garden looks run down but the inside display was descent. Overall was a waste of money and could of skipped this unless your into geology.

4  Thank Roadtech1
Reviewed 8 May 2013

For those of you who do not know what petrified wood is: Petrified wood is made up of tree trunks that were buried in the mud, sand, or volcanic ash 150 million years ago, and has turned to stone. This action is caused by water that seeps through the mud and sand, into the buried logs. There it fills the empty cells of the decaying wood with mineral matter, until the whole structure has become solid stone.

There is a huge petrified wood park in Lemmon, SD, but this one is right off of I-90 and we stopped by. I have only read about petrified wood before and wanted to see it for myself.

Not a big garden, but they have quite a variety. There are many different sizes and shapes of petrified wood. They also sell different semi-precious stones by the pound. The stones are in a raw state and need polishing but, it is a good deal if you are looking to buy some stones in the crude form and make your own jewelry.

I bought a beautiful bison made out of Ammonite. There is also a small museum where you can see the original footprints of dinosaurs that roamed south Dakota many million years ago.

A good place to visit for a quick lesson in petrified wood.

3  Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Out of everything we did in South Dakota I have to say this was the best value. Be sure to get your coupons from there site and be prepared to buy some rocks as they sell them by the pound. I am not into rocks but I had to buy a couple of pounds of rocks there. I got some rose quartz that I saw at other rock shops later on for much more money than I spent here. They also have some bargains inside that I couldn't resist. The person working there was very friendly and told is a lot about places to do and see in South Dakota. This is a cheap place to take the family and get a nice memento of the badlands.

7  Thank KansasKelli