“Great location, average hotel”

Budget Host Sundowner
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kadoka
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We were on our way to Yellowstone on a spur of the moment trip and had been planning to camp, but after watching big storms moving in we decided to get a hotel. This place had a great location but was average in other ways. I'm picky about cleanliness. This was definitely not a shiny, sparkling place but I've seen far worse too. It was average. I slept just fine. It was a reasonable price, too, and the pool was open late so even with our late arrival my 7 year old could swim after being in the car for 9 hours. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank vagabondmom1

Reviewed 20 October 2010

Our stay in room 202 for $60/night was a great deal. Pros- The room was very clean and recently painted, with a new pillowtop mattress.The desk staff were helpful, and apparently lived on site. Cons- The shower head was low. The breakfast was mostly carbohydrates ( though I loved the prepackaged microwavable short stacks of blueberry pancakes, and the donuts!) with hard boiled eggs and beverages. I had a hard time figuring out where to stay because this Trip Advisor site and the AAA books did not seem to be up to date. Kadoka now just has 3 hotels at the exit 150--This Budget Host Sundowner and the America's Best Value Inn (formerly Super 8) on the south side of I-90, and the Dakota Inn on the north side of I-90-- plus a Rodeway Inn located closer to town, away from I-90. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TexasMomTW
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed in a room for 5: 2 queen beds and a twin. So, the room was larger than the average room, probably. We were warned at check-in that the door sometimes sticks, so we should turn the key "and give it a shove". Not the best words to hear. Beds were adequate. Bathroom was incredibly tiny. The showerhead came out of the wall at about 4 ft high, which I'm sure was great for the kids, but really annoying for 5'10" me and my 6'2" husband. Felt like I was back at summer camp! Adding to this was a cracked showerhead that drizzled and fizzed and dripped, and water that was either scalding hot or cold (it took about 5 minutes of delicate manipulation of the faucet before the water was of a temp to comfortably shower.). Like another reviewer, we arrived late and left early, so there was no one to complain to. Breakfast was free and adequate, but overall, I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get a nice shower out of the deal.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank loadeddownwithkids
Reviewed 8 June 2010

This hotel the sign outside said very clean rooms - this was far from it! FAR FROM IT! We had late check in so by the time I got to my room and called to tell them it was gross the girl at the desk had already left. Right when I got to the room I realized what a mess it was. The toilet was running very loudly, I actually had to go outside and get a rock to put in it - in order to not hear it run all night. We were unable to shower due to the dirt... Seriously the ceiling in the bathroom was molded out and dripping nastynesss down into the tub. I couldn't even rinse it out well enough to feel comfortable taking a shower there. Not only was stuff dripping from that spot in the ceiling there was nasty drip lines all over the bathroom walls. So I went out to the sink and unwrapped a cup to get a drink and seriously dirt came out of the sink - there was sand of some sort in my cup and I almost drank it. So needless to say this was absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Next morning I went and told them about it - the girl at the desk asked to see my pictures and didn't seem surprised by the fact that the roof was falling in and moldy. I had her call the manager at home and wake her up and the best they could offer me was a forth of my money back - seriously 16 dollars back. I would of rather slept in my car then this dump. This is a horrible place to stay and Im also contacting the BBB because they did not provide a very clean room to stay in.... o and don't forget the used floss and random thingy on the sink too.. Ewwwwwww is all I have to say!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LauraCEugeneOR
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Fast freindly staff. Older place but, cleaner and better kept than some 2 year old hotels I have been to. Beds were extremely comfortable. Outdoor pool is a bit small and the deck is very rough on the feet but, it was a nice place to relax and cool down. We ordered in the best pizza I have had in a long time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Staff is very nice, breakfast was good, had tv channels for kids, & room was roomy. If you cannot climb stairs make sure to reserve a room on the ground floor.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2009

On the road through South Dakota, happened on this place and were very impressed by the friendly desk staff and the cheap price. The clerk made recommendations on food (told us where to order a great pizza saving us the trouble of going out to look for dinner). Breakfast was simple - coffee, donuts, cereal - but adequate for our needs. Our room was cheaper because on the 2nd floor (we were given a choice and chose to save $5 by climbing the stairs).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Budget Host Sundowner? Share your experiences!