“Disgusting”

H and H El Centro Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kadoka
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Traveling on a motorcycle all day we were approaching a bad thunderstorm. We arrived at Rodeway because of necessity. We had not planned this destination. At first glance we thought the room was pretty nice for the price. We were hungry and left right away to have dinner next door. When we got back it had started to rain heavily. Within an hour we had returned to the room. My husband walked into the bathroom and turned on the light/fan. He almost fell in the bathroom. There was water "pouring", (not dripping) from the electric fan/light and the floor was flooded with water. We used the towels and waste can to catch the water. When I called the front desk the gentleman's only comment was "do you need more towels for the floor"! We were not given an option to use another room. We were so tired from traveling 600 miles that day we just depended on the wastecan to catch the water and went to sleep. The next morning there were waterbugs in the bathroom. I had felt something also is our bed. There were potato chip crumbs in our bed. No, we did not have a late night snack. They were left from previous visitors - our sheets were not clean sheets. Needless to say we left without a shower and were glad to be gone. What a disgusting place.

Room Tip: Do not even bother stopping in Kadoka. You'd be much better off driving to another city. If we...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gayle L
There are newer reviews for H and H El Centro Motel

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived at around 8:30pm during a thunder and hail storm. The lobby has a cigarette stench probably due to what I assume is the owner's residence.
We were assigned a king size room and schlepped all of our road trip stuff in only to find the room totally unmade. We were then moved next door to another room after I walked over in the rain to get the new key. (They did offer to have the manager bring it over after I asked but could not say when.)
While moving things next door we lost a memory chip the size of a dime. I went back in the rain to the office for the old room key again to search. I asked the older man, who I assume owns the place with his wife, if there was a chance at any compensation off of the room price. He said, "no ma'am" and that was that.
The room is adequate. That's all I will safe. The mattresses are old, but the bathroom appears fresh enough. I have not used it yet, since we're still trying to find our memory chip. Had we not had to move rooms I would be tucked in by now.
I hate that I see another review about an unmade rooms. That's the biggest part of the motel service! A clean room that customers can trust.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 18 May 2013

High winds and towering thunderheads frightened me off of I-90, and i needed shelter. The Rodeway was the only chain motel I could see, and I was offered a $50 rate (before tax). I was pleasantly surprised at the size and furnishings of the room. The bed was reasonably comfortable, and nothing was scratched/dented/dirty. It even has a fridge & microwave, and a little dining table w/ two chairs.

There were only two small snags. I could never find the mechanism to divert water to the showerhead & had to make do with a splash bath. Also, the walls are kind of thin. I could vaguely hear the people next door coughing, talking, etc.

Also, you should be aware that the diner in front has closed. Not sure if that's seasonal thing, or if it's just defunct. For dinner, the Club 27 Steakhouse is across the road.

There's little cell service in this region, and I'd neglected to buy a calling card. The manager was kind enough to let me use the motel's phone to update my BF with my location. (Thanks again!)

Room Tip: Try for an end unit - less noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We arrived fairly late on in the day during our 'wing it' road trip. So we had not pre planned any stop overs and just taking it as it comes. And it came pretty crappy at this motel stop. From the outside, it does look very well taken care of and appealing to a would be traveller passing by. On entering the reception area, you are hit with the stench of cigarette smoke. But to counter act it, a very friendly and helpful female, who I presume owns the spot. We got sorted with the room number and keys etc and all payed up, and went off to the room. We got to the room, and it hadn't been cleaned. Not a problem, but as we were late arriving, it would suggest that the room was like that all day, and was intending to stay that way all night. Unless there was a late night cleaner! She was very apologetic and gave us another room with an upgrade to a king size bed. The prices are steep for the condition of the rooms. Old fashioned and an even older a/c system.

I would have rated this a little higher to maybe average, but the breakfast just killed it. The bread was stale, along with the muffins. The orange juice was a little over 3 weeks out of date, the cranberry juice was a carton of concentrate with no water to dilute. After that I was even interested in looking into the condition of the cereal. We left the juice on the side, lobbed the muffins in the bin and made an exit. Everything was reasonable up to that point to a certain degree, but for $70 a night, a little fresh breakfast wouldn't go a miss.

Room Tip: Go to the motel behind the gas station. It looked nice. Or even better, carry on to wall of the badl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben1505
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I like the middle of nowhere. So personally, I loved this hotel. It is an old style motel - outdoor parking outside of your room. There is a diner connected to it.

This hotel also has an outdoor pool that was comfortable on a very hot day.

It is nice to stay in these kinds of hotels once in awhile and walk around the small town.

The rooms were nice - no complaints with the rooms at all. This is also the hotel where many movie stars have stayed while they were filming western South Dakota scenes. There are photos, autographs, and movie posters in the office.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Kitchy, old-style motel and diner. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it was oh-so-quiet (as it should be, as it's in the middle of nowhere).

It seemed to be pretty well maintained for the age, though our room could have used some new caulk around the tub and sink vanity. It definitely brought back memories of staying at motels like this in the 60's. All that was missing was the machine you put quarters in to make the bed vibrate.

The wi-fi did not work in our room (we were at the far east end of the east building), but it worked the parking lot just outside our room and in the motel lobby. The owner/manager told us that the big tree on the east side of the lobby blocks the signal to some of the rooms in the east wing of the motel.

Dinner at their diner was fine - the food was decent and the prices were ok. The diner is decorated with 60's memorabilia: rock 'n roll, Marilyn Monroe, Route 66, etc.

The complimentary continental breakfast was pretty minimal, but you could get a discount on their menu items instead if you prefer. We weren't too hungry, so just made do with toast and peanut butter. The coffee was awful - it was extremely weak, as if they had accidentally brewed it with already-used coffee grounds. I'm hoping that was what happened, and not that their coffee is usually like that.

We didn't use the pool, but it looked very clean and inviting.

The biggest problem with staying here is that there is just nothing at all near by. Although we had a good night's sleep, the price was reasonable, and the motel was pretty decent considering where it's located, I would probably look for a motel in Wall next time. Not because I would have any problem staying at this motel again, but just because there would be a little more to do, even if it was just wandering around Wall Drug for a while. But if you have a reason to stay in Kadoka, or want a place that's close to the east end of the Badlands, this was pretty reasonable.

Room Tip: Some rooms in the east wing don't get good wi-fi reception.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have stayed in worse, like the Miami Airort hotel with lipstick on sheets. Seedy. In the middle of Nowhere SD but when grass fires closed 15 miles of Interstate90...well. The locks worked. Water was hot and WIFI worked. No bedbugs I think. Needs must.

Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kadoka
Americas Best Value Inn
Budget Host Sundowner
Budget Host Sundowner
#2 of 6 in Kadoka
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground
Dakota Inn Kadoka
Dakota Inn Kadoka
#2 of 3 in Kadoka

Been to H and H El Centro Motel? Share your experiences!