“2009 stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Odd Duck Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kyle
Odd Duck Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kyle B&B and Inns
Berwick
“2009 stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I just love this place - it's home from home. I love my dog Queenie - or Sunka Sapa as I call her, I love the hills, the people are just like the country folk used to be back in Northumberland, the powwows (wacipi) are not too different from Bellingham Show. And the accommodation is the best. This is from someone who does not compromise on bathroom facilities!

Room Tip: Ask for the double to get en - suite or the whole house for a family
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anne l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
La Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I would easily reccomend a stay at The Odd Duck Inn. We were guests before the adjoining mobile homes were established and we were hooked up. We were guests in their home. they treated us like family. It could not have been a better experience for me, as I am a life follower of the Lakota. This is as close to the 'Lakota' experience as you can get. Tilda & Mark are excellent hosts. Mark is extremely well versed in Lakota culture and history and an extremly gifted writer. Tilda is one of the most skilled artisans of Lakota bead and quillwork. Her work is second to none and no collection would be worthy without one or more of her impeccable pieces in it. She was a pleasure to meet and get to know and her lineage as a Long Soldier was an honor to near. They arranged for Francis White Dress to come by with horses and to take me on a tour on trails that have been used by Lakota warriors for hundreds of years overlooking American Horse creek. Breathtaking is the least descriptive of words. During our stay and on my birthday, Keith Secola stayed there overnight and we were treated to a concert and converation with this most incredible musician, artist and incredible man. NDN Car, Fry Bread all sung right in front of me! Wow. So if you want a real experience, remember this: This is the Reservation. It is filled with hard times, tough weather and even tougher people. If you want five star, don't come to Pine Ridge. If things aren't perfect, suck it up and don't complain. This ain't the Ritz, trust me when I say you've got it better than damn near everyone here. So if you go with the flow, sit back, stop talking, listen, say thank you and take it in as it comes, you will find a land and a people that are more genuine and real than you could ever imagine. Thank you Mark & Tilda for the most incredible time I've ever had on the Rez! Can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Grant B
Eskilstuna, Sverige
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Spent my whole trip accommodation at Odd Duck Inn. Took daily tours in the surrounding area, went to Badlands National Park, Black Hill with Mount Rushmore , Statue of Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, The Wind Cave, Deadwood, Hill City, Custer and many other platser.Kyle is convenient for short trips such as visiting Woundeed Knee and other interesting and beautiful places. I felt at home at Odd Duck Inn and it is located in a wonderful setting with only the chirping of birds and crickets singing mixed with interesting discussions with Mark and Tilda. I can recommend it for anyone who has access to a car. Thanks Mark and Tilda for an unforgettable stay with you. I will definitely come back again.

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Malakota
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

I had a great stay in the Pine Ridge Reservation at the Odd Duck Inn with Tilda Long Soldier and Mark St Pierre. Both are excellent hosts and it must be said that Mark's knowledge of native american history and politics is second to none.
We stayed at the Odd Duck Inn as we wanted to learn more about the reservation and about Lakota culture - in this respect we were not disappointed as Mark taught us so much about the reservation and Lakota culture.
His tour of the resevation was one of the best tours I have been on and it included some beautiful sights such as the Yellow Bear Lake and Red Cloud School although the highlight most definitely was a herd of bison that we drove past on our tour.
The Odd Duck Inn is in a very quiet spot of the resevation so great if you just want to hike and relax. However if you dont have a car then it can be a bit isolated although Mark was great in arranging a tour for us and taking us to the local restaurant one night.
The only downside to the whole trip for us was that due to a number of reasons the trip was a little disorganised. It was forgotten that we were due to arrive despite us sending several reminder emails and breakfast on both days was quick and basic. Also we wanted to horseride in the reservation but a guide could not be found for us on our free day.
However things were sorted to our satisfaction eventually.

So that apart it was an excellent stay with two very friendly knowledgeable hosts. It was also great to patronise a native american business rather than stay at some faceless corporate chain.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank captainbeaky30
Boulder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

Mark and Tilda are excellent hosts, and I was thrilled by the natural beauty of the landscape around their property. The location is perfect for nature hikes, stargazing, and peaceful relaxation. After staying with them, driving through the more tourist oriented parts of the state (Custer, Mount Rushmore, and Crazy Horse) was a real dissappointment due to its falseness and lack of connection to the real scenic beauty of the place. The Odd Duck Inn is a wonderful place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city and to refresh one's self in a relaxed environment.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank Emmfour
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

The setting, the peacefulness, the endless places to go and things to do, but most of all Mark & Tilda's friendly welcome and advice on how to get the most out of the holiday, made this the pefect base. The Odd Duck is spacious high quality accommodation in a superb location within easy distance of the Badlands, Black Hills, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wild Horse Sanctuary, Wind Cave and so much more. On the doorstep are fabulous walks and horse riding through beautiful countryside. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank AnneNorthumberland
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

I have just returned from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, and am wondering why more people do not visit this truly beautiful part of South Dakota, set amongst rolling hills and stunning scenery, and so near the awesome Badlands, the Black Hills, and to many wonders to list here.
I am a lone traveler, (Female) and was slightly aprehensive about making this trip alone, but the warm welcome and friendliness I received from Mark and Tilda at the Odducks B/B Inn near Kyle, was outstanding. Nothing was ever to much
trouble, and as I am a non driver, they took me to all the places I wanted to visit, once all the way to the Devils Tower,Wyoming, no short distance.

Mark is a renowned writer on Native People and Tilda a member of the Lakota Tribe, and what they don't know about Pine Ridge and the surrounding area isn't worth knowing,
I stayed in a home just up the hill from the main house, very spacious and well equipped but chose to spend many evenings
relaxing outside, along with two other guests (their second visit)
sharing our days travels and lots of laughs with our hosts.
I hope to return next year, this was my "dream vacation" and it lived up to all my expectations, and beyond.

• Liked — getting there
  • Disliked — leaving it
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank carolSouthamptonU_k_

Been to Odd Duck Inn? Share your experiences!