“What a disappointment.”

Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Lead
Price range: US$10 - US$45
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Providing the very best in hospitality since 1909, the Latchstring Restaurant is a wonderful place to enjoy a meal surrounded by the beauty of Spearfish Canyon!
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We travelled up to the Latchstring Inn for the Mother's Day buffet. We called ahead to make our reservations. Our table was not ready when we arrived even though they were not busy. We than sat for over five minutes before our server came to greet us. When she returned with our drinks she forgot one of our orders. There were only five of us and again they were not busy or visably understaffed. The salads were good. The rice was overdone. The chicken was the consistancy or a dehydrated and reconstituted chicken breast. We never received refills and we were halfway done with our meal when the missed drink finally arrived. For $100 meal for five people I expected more and was very disappointed.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Our server, Ashley was amazing! She worked very hard and did everything we asked. Our drinks were always refilled and she was very polite. There was another person on that day and I think her name was Jamie. She was very rude. She didn't think my table could hear her, but we could and she was insulting my group. She must have been a manager, because she was telling our server to do some extra tasks, which is obviously fine, but she felt the need to yell it over the restaurant while our server was taking our orders. I wish she could have kept it professional. As for the food, I had the vegetarian flatbread and it was very good, and the other people I was with also really enjoyed their food.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

5 of us went there in Drcember 2013 for lunch. Avoid the hamburger, the gourmet grilled cheese and the club sandwich. All bad meals :[ The turkey bean soup was fine, but everything else was extremely over cooked/burnt. The hamburger was like a charcoal briquette. The bread on the club sandwish was as hard as a crouton, no joke. The server was friendly. The canyon chips look and taste like crinkle cut chips that are refried. Cold and burnt. We will not be back for the food, it was really really bad.

1  Thank cinfedo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We enjoyed dining at the Latchstring in spearfish Canyon, South Dakota in September 2013. 3 of us couples enjoyed our evening meal after hiking to the beautiful falls and traveling through the canyon. If I ever get to go back to this area, we will definitely come back here.
The restaurant was unique with it's hunting-western theme. There were many mounted animals on the walls plus gorgeous paintings of the area. The ambience of the place was most conducive to dining-quiet, great service and great food. The dining room was very spacious and gave the visitor a relaxed feeling. All of us ordered something different from buffalo burgers to elk steaks. We were all were very pleased with our selections. Sometime I would like to stay at Spearfish Lodge (across the road) as it had great appeal for hikers, fishermen, and the casual road traveler. The scenery through this area is spectacular with rock formations, streams for fishing and lots of trees.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Nestled deep in scenic Spearfish Canyon, the Latchstring offers spectacular vistas from their patio seating area, soothing sounds from the nearby falls, great service, and surprisingly good food at reasonable prices. I say surprisingly because this is a tourist area, folks flock here from all over the world, and the Latchstring wouldn’t need to try that hard but they do.

We stopped in for lunch during a recent m-cycle trip to all SD county seats.

Laurie was delighted with her Black Hills Trout Caesar Salad – perfectly grilled trout on a bed of crispy fresh romaine lettuce ringed with tomatoes, onion, cucumber and served with a tasty house-made dressing. She added a Johnny Apple hotcake which we found to be moist and flavorful and bursting with apple flavor.

I liked the Flatbread Sandwich. The flavor combination of mozzarella, basil, tomato, and pesto worked well with the turkey but the fried flat bread overwhelmed some of that. If I were to order this again, I’d get it open-faced and eat it like a taco. The star was the side of Italian Bean soup that came with it! Fresh green beans and tomatoes in a rich broth with white beans.

We’re big on dessert and the mountain berry pie sounded too good to pass up. House made flaky pie crust filled with an ample amount of fresh berries in a not too sweet sauce and sided with whipped cream and mini scoop of New York vanilla ice cream. Delish!

Our server, Sarah, was super friendly, knowledgeable about the menu, and happily talked with us about the area.

On a down note with patio seating, the flies were numerous and vexatious as they seem to be in SD.

We’ll definitely stop in again next time we’re in The Hills!

Been to Latchstring? Share your experiences!