“Not what it used to be!”

Spearfish Canyon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lead
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am so sad to write this review. My family and I have stayed here for years. We haven't been here in awhile and were sadly disappointed. First, I do have to say that the room was clean. I do specifically ask that the room be cleaned extra every time I stay anywhere so I don't know if they always are or not. But beyond that it wasn't much. The toilet was a very, very low one. About the size you would find in an elementary school. (I am serious! My 16 year old didn't like it at all.) If you are a bigger person or if it is hard for you to get up, you won't like it. The doors and hallway are very outdated and you can hear everything. Above you and out in the hall. The bathroom door didn't even latch. You can't get cell phone service which is understandable there so if you are a "phonie" I would reconsider. They only have about 13 channels on the TV. All of which are sports or news. We also ate at the Latchstring which used to be wonderful. The food was horrible and I will never eat there again! The service was good, however the servers had dirty aprons, and the tray they used to serve your food had dirty napkins on them. I only hope that someone out there can afford to buy the place and update it. This place needs work! It's beautiful in the canyon. However, I would recommend one of the new lodges in Deadwood and just visit the canyon. I love the outdoors but this place is more for the very earthy, no kids kind of people who don't want too many luxuries! For the price you pay, it's not worth it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank dkrun

Reviewed 1 August 2011

On their web site they have a link for online registration. What they don't tell you is it costs $80 more to register online. When I called to ask about this I was told to leave a message for the general manager which I did. Almost a week later I have not heard from her.

Room Tip: Loved our suite. Cannot comment on standard rooms. Internet service was horrible.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mrayttsi
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Spearfish Lodge is a Lovely place in a Lovely setting. I can't really fault it. It is, however, a bit impersonal and geared to the tourist trade. On a later trip we stayed, in-town at the "Secret Garden B&B". We Truly enjoyed the accommodations, the folks that run it, the hot tub in the garden, the long history of the house and the fine appointments in the rooms. It is a more comfy and personal place, all the way around. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Wonderful location in the midst of Spearfish Canyon which means immediate access to the hiking trails and sights. The lobby with a huge fireplace is a nice place to settle in and read. The rooms are just average, the staff seemed OK although we didn't have any special needs or problems so didn't deal with them much. This is a good one night place to stay since you can basically see all you need to see in the canyon in one day. If you like to hike, bike or fish, this is a perfect launch point. Other than that, it is isolated so no night life unless you take the winding road to either Spearfish or Deadwood. The Latch String restaurant across the road has tasty and filling breakfasts, can't comment on the rest of their menu since breakfast is all we had.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I tried to suprise my wife with a nights stay and dinner at the lodge for our anniversary but instead we found the staff less than pleasant turning our memorable anniversary into a less than enjoyable event. Upon arrival I tried to check in but was told abruptly I couldn't check in until 3:00pm and I arrived at 2:40pm. I was not told why such as the room was not ready or I'm sorry but our policy is you can't check in until 3:00pm and you may wait in the lounge or on the patio, just that I couldn't check in now with a blank stair. Upon checking in at promptly 3:00pm I was asked for my credit card although I had already paid in advance. When I asked why, initially I was told to pay for the room but when I had explained that I had alreday paid a female manager stepped up and said "It was in case I damage the room from swinging from the chandalier." Troughout our stay the staff really never seemed to welcome us and made us seem more like we were a burden to them. The lounge, front desk and services seem to be run entirely by the front desk staff leaving you to wonder how could they run a quality facility with only a few people. Upon checking out, we were not asked how our stay was or if everything was to our satisfaction only for my credit card again to pay for additional taxes. The room cost $225 per night plus taxes rounding it out to about $239 but was nothing really special. It was very obvious to us that there has been no customer service training for the staff and perhaps a change in management should be consdered. Management needs to understand that local customers such as ourselves may not choose to frequent this establishment based on our experience. By the way, there was no chandalier in the room either.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank IBRU
Reviewed 1 July 2011

A very enjoyable stay! The staff were very pleasant and the room (one of the suites) was lovely, with a gas fireplace. We were there in the off-season - no crowds, wonderful! - the price was very reasonable. It's a perfect spot from which to take day trips to Mt. Rushmore, explore the Black Hills and even the Badlands, plus it's a lovely area for just hiking around. We ate at the Latchstring Restaurant one evening and had a pleasant meal; didn't try breakfast. Peaceful to sit in the hot tub under the stars. We'd certainly go back!!

Room Tip: Go in the off-season!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2011

On arrival and almost throughout our stay woefully understaffed. Seemingly had a large wedding the day before we arrived. Our room was ready by 4:00 p.m. but others arriving at the same time had to wait. Patio area was trashed Sunday when we arrived and still on Monday when we left (absolutely no attention to detail). Bar (6 seats does not make a bar but that's what they have) was not staffed on Sunday of the US Open golf. When asked about getting a beverage was told they were way understaffed and would get there when they could. GM was there but not at all visible, staff members had to run back to ask him/her questions.

Both hot tubs were closed because they were trashed from the wedding party the night before. With no pool or other amenities it was pretty sad that no concessions were offered.

Our experience at the restaurant was fine. Pricey for what you get but overall okay. Server (Marisha?) was friendly and actually made the meal, food was okay and prices while high for food were reasonable for beverages so alright.

Overall - dirty common areas, poorly managed, not welcoming hotel, okay restaurant. Definitely not at all worth the drive to this "destination". Don't waste your time; from my experience they could care less if you become a guest.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julrah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lead
Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort
#2 of 25 in Deadwood
Blackstone Lodge and Suites
SpringHill Suites Deadwood
Cadillac Jack’s Hotel & Suites

Been to Spearfish Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!