“Our visit today was our worst.”

Spearfish Canyon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lead
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We drive up to the lodge frequently, alone and with guests to enjoy a cocktail and scenery, but today was our worst experience ever. Almost always we have to find someone (usually they just have one person working to do everything) and today was no different. She (dont know her name) was in the office working, my husband got her attention, she didn't say a word. I said "excuse me" twice and finally she sharply said she would be with me in a few minutes. At the bar, she never smiled or said thank you. No tip for her, and we left.

It's so sad they can't get this lodge trained with some decent staff. It's such a nice place to go, but there is always some issue when we go there. We stayed there for our anniversay last year and that was a disappointment too.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank None424

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Good (only) place to stay in the Canyon. Nice staff, clean rooms, dependable year after year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent two nights here with four of us in the Roosevelt suite. This is a great suite, bed, sofabed, balcony and kitchen. The only problem with the room us that the balcony is above the outdoor pub where people smoke. Naturally the smoke was a problem when people were there. The other issue was we got there thirty minutes early and they would not let us into the room until after three PM.
The trails are great, the views terrific. Loved the canyon!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank petersonge
Reviewed 18 August 2011

After reading numerous reviews about this lodge and speaking to a few locals, I still thought there may be a chance things might be different.
My fiancee and I are planning to elope and wanted to book with the lodge. Upon hearing that photography WAS NOT allowed within the lodge ( beautiful lobby area), I didn't want to believe this.
On holidays this August we stopped in, to make our reservations for the fall, and asked about the photography. A female, I believe was the assistant manager, advised it was not allowed. I inquired, "even if we book and stay with you?" She advised this was true. I am saddened. Again I spoke to a local and was informed this hotel requires new owners or management. Many do not speak highly of this place and it is truly unfortunate as it is in one of the most beautiful areas. We will not give them our business. We also checked out the Latchstring restaurant across the road, overpriced, overrated. Many other fine areas of dining if you want steak/seafood in the Black Hills.
I am so thankful for trip advisor, Believe the reviews, guests can never be wrong!

Room Tip: not accomodating, overrated. Believe the negative reviews, guests can't be wrong.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank T N
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am so sad to write this review. My family and I have stayed here for years. We haven't been here in awhile and were sadly disappointed. First, I do have to say that the room was clean. I do specifically ask that the room be cleaned extra every time I stay anywhere so I don't know if they always are or not. But beyond that it wasn't much. The toilet was a very, very low one. About the size you would find in an elementary school. (I am serious! My 16 year old didn't like it at all.) If you are a bigger person or if it is hard for you to get up, you won't like it. The doors and hallway are very outdated and you can hear everything. Above you and out in the hall. The bathroom door didn't even latch. You can't get cell phone service which is understandable there so if you are a "phonie" I would reconsider. They only have about 13 channels on the TV. All of which are sports or news. We also ate at the Latchstring which used to be wonderful. The food was horrible and I will never eat there again! The service was good, however the servers had dirty aprons, and the tray they used to serve your food had dirty napkins on them. I only hope that someone out there can afford to buy the place and update it. This place needs work! It's beautiful in the canyon. However, I would recommend one of the new lodges in Deadwood and just visit the canyon. I love the outdoors but this place is more for the very earthy, no kids kind of people who don't want too many luxuries! For the price you pay, it's not worth it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank dkrun
Reviewed 1 August 2011

On their web site they have a link for online registration. What they don't tell you is it costs $80 more to register online. When I called to ask about this I was told to leave a message for the general manager which I did. Almost a week later I have not heard from her.

Room Tip: Loved our suite. Cannot comment on standard rooms. Internet service was horrible.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mrayttsi
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Spearfish Lodge is a Lovely place in a Lovely setting. I can't really fault it. It is, however, a bit impersonal and geared to the tourist trade. On a later trip we stayed, in-town at the "Secret Garden B&B". We Truly enjoyed the accommodations, the folks that run it, the hot tub in the garden, the long history of the house and the fine appointments in the rooms. It is a more comfy and personal place, all the way around. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lead
Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort
SpringHill Suites Deadwood
Celebrity Hotel
Celebrity Hotel
#1 of 26 in Deadwood

Been to Spearfish Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!