“Beautiful location, horrendous service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spearfish Canyon Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Spearfish Canyon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lead
Rock Island, Illinois
“Beautiful location, horrendous service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Spearfish Canyon Lodge is located in beautiful Spearfish Canyon, a location we had never visited before in our trips to South Dakota. We purchased a three night stay through Living Social which include breakfast and dinner. When we arrived, I presented my two vouchers and was told there was a balance of 60.00 for taxes and other things. I took out the first credit card I saw and paid it. The next morning my husband and I went across the street, showed the hostess the coupon the hotel gave us and she seated us. As three other couples were seated, greeted and their orders taken, I finally got up asked who our waitress might be. When she arrived, she seemed not to know our table was in her area. When we went to pay, coupon in hand with the bill, the hostess we just showed the coupon to less than 40 mins earlier ran the bill through, then looked at the coupon and then did not know how to get the sale off the register. Manger has to come out and do it. 45 minutes of sheer frustration for two scrambled eggs and toast. Dinner was not much better. They have complimentary coffee in the lobby, but waited 25 mins. one night as some decided who should make it. Three weeks later, I received my Am Ex bill with a 20.00 charge from Spreafish. When I called to find out what the charge was for, I was told it was because I put the balance (60.00) on a different card than the one I made the purchase with. If someone would have told me, I had my Am Ex with me. I was told the charge would be taken off, but today the statement arrived and no credit. I just called the lodge to speak to the manager or someone who could address this issue and I was told they were both in a meeting, but they would be available in an hour if I want to call back. I have worked with customers for years and this is terrible customer service. One of them should have stepped out of the meeting and address the problem. I would tell you to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but avoid the hotel at all costs. I should have know I was in trouble when both women at the desk were on the phone apologizing to customers

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank julies1020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed two nights here on our vacation and enjoyed the lodge very much. My only comment is that having the private deck with views was a major reason we picked this particular room. The views are actually overlooking the Latchstring Inn across the road and the canyon views are not special from this as compared to other rooms. My hopes as I am a photographer to have a private deck to shoot awesome shots from and it was not what I was hoping for.
The room itself and the appointments were wonderful and the service was excellent. Had I not wanted the deck for photography shots I would have been completely happy with the room. The staff was great and for military folks, ask for the discount. We received 10% off for my husband being a veteran. Show the card and get your discount at checkout. :>)

Room Tip: The regular rooms are very nice and the suites are large and nicely appointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Set in a beautiful canyon through which the Spearfish River flows, the lodge gives the rustic feel of an old-time lodge. Yet, it's comfortable and up-to-date, and the visitor never gets the feeling that they are "roughing it". We arrived at the lodge at 7:00 p.m. after a long day at Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Jewel Cave, and were made to feel right at home by the very warm and helpful staff. The room was nicely appointed, and the great room of the lodge is beautiful and inviting.
We spent two days hiking and exploring in the area - with some time relaxing in the hot tub in between. The restaurant was first-rate, both for breakfast and dinner. I was sad to leave after only two days, and our days there were the high point of our ten-day trip to the Dakotas and Minnesota. Do yourself a favor and spend at least a night or two here - you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John H
VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This lodge is impeccably clean, rooms are spacious w/ everything you could need. Large lobby/common room with fire place, many comfortable seats, games to play. A very calm, peaceful atmosphere! Staff are extremely helpful and knowledgable!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank SLHR
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Spent 2 days here on a Living Social deal. The surrounding area is BEAUTIFUL. The staff is friendly. If you are sight seeing to the area (Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc.) it is a LOOOONG drive. The wireless internet access was spotty at best. Cell phone coverage about the same. Despite that, It is a WONDERFUL getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anthony S
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

My fiancée and I spent two nights here at the end of May. Despite a driving rainstorm that resulted in us getting in at 1 am, the lady at the front desk was very pleasant...as was all those that worked at SCL. The lobby is beautiful and it's a warm and inviting place to enjoy a free cup of coffee or a cold beer from the bar.

Rooms look to be a little dated but they are certainly comfortable. Only complaint I would have is that the walls are thin, but again, you shouldn't be expecting the 4 seasons out here. Our trip to South Dakota over 5 nights was wonderful and we were more than happy to spend 2 of them here. And at roughly $90 a night, in some of the most scenic country in the USA, it's a bargain.

Room Tip: Just bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here June of 2012 with a Groupon and we were very happy! The room was a bit smaller than I expected for a suite, but it was fine. My biggest complaint was the AC unit didn't work almost the whole time we were there, and the maintenance staff looked at it several times with no adjustments made or apologies or discounts given. Other than that, the hot tub on the deck was nice for some late-night relaxation, wish there was a pool. The restaurant across the street was okay, nothing horrible or amazing. Staff was not very friendly, but I'm not in the morning either. :-) I would definitely stay here again, although it was a little bit of a drive to other Black Hills towns and attractions. Walking trails nearby hotel were great scenic areas with the Spearfish Falls nearby as well.

Room Tip: Be prepared to have no AC based on other reviews I've seen as well as my experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SD_girl_2486
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lead
Blackstone Lodge and Suites
SpringHill Suites Deadwood
Dakota Spur Hotel
Dakota Spur Hotel
#4 of 8 in Lead

Been to Spearfish Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!