“Fantastic hideaway”

Spearfish Canyon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lead
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Spearfish canyon is a real jewel in the black hills and the spearfish canyon lodge is a great place to take it in. The rooms are comfortable and nicely-appointed. The lobby is spectacular, with a soaring ceiling, huge stone hearth and rustic accents. The hills surrounding the lodge are unforgettable. Be sure to check out the waterfall behind the lodge grounds. Near lead and deadwood. You will not get a phone signal but there is wifi.

Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I cannot say enough about this lodge! The great room is gorgeous. The rooms were beautiful. We stayed in the Muir Suite. The smell in the room was wonderful! The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable! The room has robes for the hot tub. Which, by the way, it has the most beautiful hot tub area overlooking the walls of the canyon on the second floor of the lodge that I have ever seen. We never missed a night out there!
The restaurant across the street is the only slight disappointment. This was mostly due to slow service, or distracted servers. Their attitudes were pleasant enough, however.
The staff at the Lodge were very accommodating. I would definitely stay again.
My son stayed in the Berry Patch cabin. It is more rustic, but it has an outside grill, a kithchen, and you can sit out on your own deck. However it is off the main road across the street from the lodge which sees some traffic. Still, it was just a short walk for them to come enjoy the hot tub at night. It has two bedrooms, but the doors to each room is not very private, because they are half doors that swing open. I don't think they liked that. It was not as clean as the Lodge suites, the windows, floors, etc. Maybe it is put to harder use by families!

Room Tip: Get a suite. They are fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We spent two nights here in May for our 20th anniversary. We mentioned it was our anniversary when we checked in and were upgraded to the Bridal Veil Suite. The suite was amazing. Very well furnished and decorated. Views from the room were gorgeous, including those towards the historic Latchstring restaurant across the road. Staff were all very personable also. The lodge was hosting a wedding but there was never excessive noise. Very well run organization. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bunnarabbit66
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed one night on our way to Yellowstone, and we were glad we did! Beautiful lodge, incredible scenery, and plenty of parking for our SUV and trailer. Our room was clean and comfortable with a view of a lovely trout filled stream. On the bed, a stuffed bear and some big fluffy robes awaited us (both of which can be purchased in the gift shop, so the card said.) There is a small bar in the lodge, but I did not see anyone working at it during the few minutes we were checking in. There are two maybe 6 person hot tubs on an outside balcony. It was very nice slipping into our suits and grabbing those fluffy robes to go soak in the tub with a cold beverage. They seemed clean, and we saw a maintenance man cleaning them in the morning. Just behind the lodge is an easy 3/4 mile trail that leads up to Roughlock Falls. Beautiful. The restaurant is just across the street, and you can charge your meals to your room. We had a Friday Night Special email coupon, and so received the room and two breakfasts of our choice (I had blackened trout and eggs! Yum!) for $158 including tax. I would definitely go back. I think this would also be an excellent choice for bike week, though I'm sure the rates are much higher.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandy A
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Spearfish Canyon Lodge is located in beautiful Spearfish Canyon, a location we had never visited before in our trips to South Dakota. We purchased a three night stay through Living Social which include breakfast and dinner. When we arrived, I presented my two vouchers and was told there was a balance of 60.00 for taxes and other things. I took out the first credit card I saw and paid it. The next morning my husband and I went across the street, showed the hostess the coupon the hotel gave us and she seated us. As three other couples were seated, greeted and their orders taken, I finally got up asked who our waitress might be. When she arrived, she seemed not to know our table was in her area. When we went to pay, coupon in hand with the bill, the hostess we just showed the coupon to less than 40 mins earlier ran the bill through, then looked at the coupon and then did not know how to get the sale off the register. Manger has to come out and do it. 45 minutes of sheer frustration for two scrambled eggs and toast. Dinner was not much better. They have complimentary coffee in the lobby, but waited 25 mins. one night as some decided who should make it. Three weeks later, I received my Am Ex bill with a 20.00 charge from Spreafish. When I called to find out what the charge was for, I was told it was because I put the balance (60.00) on a different card than the one I made the purchase with. If someone would have told me, I had my Am Ex with me. I was told the charge would be taken off, but today the statement arrived and no credit. I just called the lodge to speak to the manager or someone who could address this issue and I was told they were both in a meeting, but they would be available in an hour if I want to call back. I have worked with customers for years and this is terrible customer service. One of them should have stepped out of the meeting and address the problem. I would tell you to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but avoid the hotel at all costs. I should have know I was in trouble when both women at the desk were on the phone apologizing to customers

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank julies1020
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed two nights here on our vacation and enjoyed the lodge very much. My only comment is that having the private deck with views was a major reason we picked this particular room. The views are actually overlooking the Latchstring Inn across the road and the canyon views are not special from this as compared to other rooms. My hopes as I am a photographer to have a private deck to shoot awesome shots from and it was not what I was hoping for.
The room itself and the appointments were wonderful and the service was excellent. Had I not wanted the deck for photography shots I would have been completely happy with the room. The staff was great and for military folks, ask for the discount. We received 10% off for my husband being a veteran. Show the card and get your discount at checkout. :>)

Room Tip: The regular rooms are very nice and the suites are large and nicely appointed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Set in a beautiful canyon through which the Spearfish River flows, the lodge gives the rustic feel of an old-time lodge. Yet, it's comfortable and up-to-date, and the visitor never gets the feeling that they are "roughing it". We arrived at the lodge at 7:00 p.m. after a long day at Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Jewel Cave, and were made to feel right at home by the very warm and helpful staff. The room was nicely appointed, and the great room of the lodge is beautiful and inviting.
We spent two days hiking and exploring in the area - with some time relaxing in the hot tub in between. The restaurant was first-rate, both for breakfast and dinner. I was sad to leave after only two days, and our days there were the high point of our ten-day trip to the Dakotas and Minnesota. Do yourself a favor and spend at least a night or two here - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lead
Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort
SpringHill Suites Deadwood
Celebrity Hotel
Celebrity Hotel
#1 of 26 in Deadwood

Been to Spearfish Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!